IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

• 2 weeks later...

41. Ys III: Wanderers From Ys - SNES (rom)

Ok, so I cheated and played a rom of this game. Something I've wanted to play for a while, & recently, I picked up the overhauled PSP remake of the game (Ys: Oath in Felghana), but wanted to experience the original first.

Fantastic side-scrolling action/platformer! Pretty short,, I think all said I beat it in about 5 to 6 hours.

I'd still like to pick up a cart at some point, & would also like to play the Genesis version, just to compare.

42. Demon's Crest - SNES (rom)

Blasted thru this in similar fashion to my last game, this time I succumbed to a rom, because the cart is so expensive. That said, while this is pretty fun & challenging game, I'm not totally convinced that I need to own it.

I had a good time, but I am reasonably sure I can live without a physical copy of this game.

42. Demon's Crest - SNES (rom)

Blasted thru this in similar fashion to my last game, this time I succumbed to a rom, because the cart is so expensive. That said, while this is pretty fun & challenging game, I'm not totally convinced that I need to own it.

I had a good time, but I am reasonably sure I can live without a physical copy of this game.

For the going rate of 250-300 Euro per copy I can easily live without one as well, but for 30-40 I'd immediately get one :)

Well, here's some hope that it gets a VC release some day. Or Rearmed or Remastered. Well, I can dream, no? :D

For the going rate of 250-300 Euro per copy I can easily live without one as well, but for 30-40 I'd immediately get one :)

Well, here's some hope that it gets a VC release some day. Or Rearmed or Remastered. Well, I can dream, no? :D

I suppose, yea I might shell out for a VC release, or even a remake. A proper sequel would be even nicer! I may go back and play a rom Gargoyle's Quest II also, just for grins.. I own GQ1 for gameboy, (its the only affordable one in the series..)

• Like 1

I actually played through a couple of games this week.

Tomb Raider (PS3)

I have mixed feelings about the reboot. The graphics are excellent, and controlling Lara has never been easier (in my opinion); however, this game is much more of a straightforward action game than previous Tomb Raiders. I miss the exploration and puzzles. I do like the reworking of Lara's personality, though. I think she's more of a believable character in this game—if you can believe that a person can take the beating that she does and keep going.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy (PS3)

I really wanted to like this game. I REALLY did. And maybe I would have liked it more had I not played the much more polished Tomb Raider right before playing it. There were just some control issues, along with a story that wasn't fleshed out very well (a lot of the time, I really lost track of what was going on, as the story seemed an incidental part of the game). The game was also very short and the ending—well, was there one? If so, I must have missed it (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit, but there really isn't much to it). It makes me wonder what the game was like on the Xbox 360, since this is the enhanced version. I think that there is a lot here that could be built upon to make a really good game, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. It's a shame, because I like the main character, and the power she gains near the end of the game could be an interesting ability in a more polished game.

Has it always been this expensive or did MF Mike's review of it on Cinemassacre cause it to skyrocket in price?

I'm overdue for an update to this thread:

34. Wardner (Sega Genesis)

Nifty little action-platformer with thoughtful stage design and a refreshing lack of cheap hits. A-.

35. Space Blaster FX (Sharp MZ-700)

I can only play this in emulation for now since I don't own a MZ-700. Obviously the character-based graphics are primitive, but that said, it's a nifty little shooter! B+.

36. Gauntlet Legends (PS1)

Mediocre port of a great game, but my fiancée and I still enjoyed it for the most part. The bonus levels at the end are pointless but it's nice not to have to be in collectathon/find-the-secret mode for once. B-.

37. Bonanza Brothers (Sega Genesis)

Fun port of the cloak-and-dagger arcade game. Before I'd only played this in co-op, but it's actually a lot easier in 1P mode. I went through all three difficulties, finishing up with Hard/3 Lives, but I scarcely noticed any changes in the difficulty. B+.

38. Wayne’s World (Sega Genesis)

Bizarrely, this is practically just a re-skin of B.O.B., one of my favorite action-platformers on the Genesis (and even more so on the SNES). Of course just about every aspect of the game is downgraded, but the stage design and "feel" are totally B.O.B.-ish. It's not nearly as bad as its reputation -- some claim that it's among the worst games on the Genesis, which is nonsense -- but it's still no better than mediocre, of course. D+.

39. David Crane’s Amazing Tennis (Sega Genesis)

If you can overlook the technical flaws, the shortcomings in the presentation, the near-total lack of options or bells and whistles, and several questionable design decisions, this is one of the best 16-bit tennis games you'll find, and certainly one of the most realistic. It's also tough as nails, and even though you only have to play a four-match tournament to beat the game, getting through it was a real streetfight. B.

I've also played through a few games on lower difficulty levels for the Sega beat-'em-all project -- largely games that I've beaten before (Sol-Deace, Atomic Robo-kid, Art of Fighting), but also some that I hadn't (Primal Rage, RBI Baseball 3, Shadow of the Beast II, Junction).

Most of my playing time last month was dedicated to Darkstalkers. After giving up on Resurrection, I since completely finished Darkstalkers Chronicle! I beat every mode with every character having an ending, unlocking the "movie" selection completely. I also beat every single level in the "Tower" mode, thereby unlocking all 96 images in the image gallery :)

BTW: I love Darkstlakers - my favorite of Capcoms fighting universes. Count me in rooting for Darkstalkers 4 from now on :D

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man X2, Captain Commando, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara, Street Fighter Alpha, Final Fight 3 & Darkstalkers Chronicle

I started this in June and was only posting it on digitpress. I know much earlier in the year I played New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. 2 for DS & 3DS but I wasn't keeping track of when I started them so I'm not going to add them. That and I finished off Super Mario 3D Land 100% and Bust-A-Move Universe at that time as well even though I beat the main games a previous year.

Games with * I have on cartridge again, ** have cart and box or manual, *** are already CIB. I'm basically doing "collect as I beat 'em (all modes)" in order to keep games I don't care about enough to master out of my collection.

Last update
1. Dragon Warrior - NES* - Max level
2. Super Mario Bros. - NES* - both quests
3. Mickey Mousecapade - NES*
4. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan FDS) - NES* [Repro] - as Mario including extra worlds
5. The Legend of Zelda - NES* - both quests all items
6. Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES* - as Mario
7. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES* - all levels
8. Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES* - as Chip
9. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - NES* - regular playthrough (didn't bother with 2nd quest as it's no harder/different)
10. Yo! Noid - NES*
11. Faxanadu - NES* - all items
12. Kirby's Adventure - NES* - 100% perfect
13. Legendary Wings - NES*
14. Renegade - NES* - all 3 difficulties
15. Big Nose the Caveman - NES*
16. The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy - NES*
17. Felix the Cat - NES*
18. The Three Stooges - NES*
19. Sonic the Hedgehog - SMS - all chaos emeralds & bonus stages
20. Sonic the Hedgehog - SG*** - all chaos emeralds
21. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - SMS - all chaos emeralds
22. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - SG** - all chaos emeralds as Sonic & Tails, Sonic, and Tails
23. Sonic Chaos - SMS - all chaos emeralds as Sonic, cleared as Tails (he doesn't get emeralds)
24. Sonic Spinball - SG* all rings/multiball stages
25. Sonic the Hedgehog - GG*** - all chaos emeralds & bonus stages
26. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - SG*** - all chaos emeralds as Sonic & Tails, Sonic, and Tails
27. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - GG*** - all chaos emeralds
28. Sonic Chaos - GG*** - all chaos emeralds as Sonic, cleared as Tails (he doesn't get emeralds)
29. Sonic & Knuckles - SG* - all chaos emeralds as Sonic, and Knuckles
30. Super Mario Land - GB - both quests
31. Kirby's Dream Land - GB - both quests
32. Sonic 3D Blast - SG* - all chaos emeralds
33. Super Mario World - SNES* - all 96 exits + Bowser's castle
34. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES* - all items
35. Super Mario All-Stars - SNES* - all stages of all games cleared as Mario
36. Pilotwings - SNES
37. Donkey Kong Country - SNES* - 101%
38. Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - SMS
39. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - GB - all 31 exits + Wario's Castle
40. Spider-Man & the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge - SNES
41. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - GB - all items, no deaths!
42. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - SNES* - 102%
43. The Jungle Book - SG - all 3 difficulties
44. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - SNES* [pirate cart] - 103%
45. Sonic 3D Blast - SS - all chaos emeralds
46. Super Mario 64 - N64 - all 120 Stars
47. King's Field (J) - PS1
48. King's Field - PS1 - missing a few magic crystals
49. Kirby Super Star - SNES - 100%
50. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - PS1 - all 99 mudokons saved

New update:
51. Beyond the Beyond - PS1 - completed with all 8 characters at high levels
52. Yoshi's Story - N64 - all levels cleared and black & white Yoshis unlocked.
53. Vandal-Hearts - PS1*** - all secret items & chests found, all secret levels cleared and Ash's secret transformation done

Currently working on:
Low G Man - NES [3rd quest, 3rd chapter]
Bucky O' Hare - NES [have 6 passwords]
Pokémon Blue Version - GB [raising all my Pokémon to level 50 before travelling on Victory Road]
Pokémon Red Version - GB [still at Mt. Moon catching Pokemon]
Taz-Mania - Genesis [need to beat Hard; got to final boss and lost all my lives & continues]
Dragon Quest I & II [T+Eng] - SNES [Finished DQ I; on DQ II. Just got Gold Key & moon crest.]
Super Mario Kart - SNES [got gold on all 50cc & 100cc cups + 150cc mushroom & flower cups as Mario]
Tuff E. Nuff - SNES [beat all characters' easy modes; 1 normal mode to go, 3 hard modes to go]
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 - PS1 [build Up mode - Kid Goku Level 12]
Suikoden - PS1 [ready to do Mt. Seifu mission, characters level 11]
Super Bubble Pop - PS1 [cleared beginner mode with 1st character]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - PS1 [need 1 more tape & final competition as Tony]
Goldeneye 007 - N64 [beat Agent Mode, need to start Secret Agent]
Mario Kart 64 - N64 [got gold on all 50cc cups + 100cc Mushroom & Flower cups as Mario]
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - PS3 [on 1st playthrough Easy Mode as Warrior]

Beyond the Beyond is one of my top favorites - where it lacks in story and hand-holding directions on where to go I find the combat to be very entertaining as you have to keep on your toes and use good strategy to survive instead of always choosing "fight, fight, fight, fight, fight" to win. Vandal-Hearts has a really good story and getting each level just right with no character deaths, all enemies defeated and all items found requires a lot of in battle saves and sometimes spending a good half hour to an hour on most levels. Yoshi's Story is a good platformer and can be either easy or hard depending on how you set your goal for getting a high score or not caring about the score at all. Finding all three hearts can be tricky on some levels.

• 2 weeks later...

40. ExoSquad (Genesis)

Beat this mixed-mode mech game a week or so ago, on all three difficulty levels in succession. The scaling space shooter segments are a disaster, while many people think the one-on-one fighting segments redeem the game. But actually my favorite part of the game was the side-scrolling levels, which use an extremely unusual control scheme that works pretty well once you get used to it. B.

Gothic 1 + 2 (PC):

Finished both games (again) last month. IMO the best Action-RPGs on the PC despite the few bugs and crashes that still occur in the latest patched versions (played ver. 1.08k of Gothic 1 and ver. 1.30 of Gothic 2).

I have to play Gothic 2 again with the Night of the Raven Add-on later this year.

• Like 1

For the first time in the history of the known universe I have beaten a mystical gold colored cartridge. Accompanied by flashy, eye catching artwork on the front of the mystical gold colored cartridge's label and possibly giving you a hint as to the game's title are these words: Nintendo 64.

The game is about the adventures of a brave young lad as he returns a prized possession to a traveling stranger. That possession carries the same title as the game itself: Majora's Mask!

• Like 1