IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

Claimed the final trophy in Duck Tales Remastered last night after beating it on "Extreme" difficulty - in spite of hard-pogo control quirks and "number #1 dime race" freezes...

Unfortunately ps3trophies seems to have problems with profile updates right now, so I can't generate a 100% trophy card to brag ;)

• Like 1

49. Knights of the Round SNES

50. King of Dragons - SNES

Really in the mood to play some beat em ups. These are both pretty fantastc Capcom games. Not a whole lot to say. Pretty straight forward awesomeness.. If I had to pick, I think I enjoy King of Dragons a bit more. Really looking forward to playing Mystara & Tower of Doom on XBLA!

• Like 2

41. Psychic Detective (3DO)

Played this with my fiancée, and got the best ending (Grand Slam) on our eighth or ninth playthrough. Nifty little game that makes near-ideal use of FMV. A-.

42. Doom Troopers: The Mutant Chronicles (Genesis)

Beaten on all three difficulty levels: Wimp, Trooper, and Brutal. The only saving graces of this run-'n'-gun are the password system and the fairly generous supply of extra lives and secret areas. Otherwise, it's like a poster child for everything that mid-1990s American action-platformers were doing wrong: bad controls, frustrating and unclear level design, erratic hit detection, gratuitous gore and gross-out humor, forced hits/damage and cheap shots, and just a feeling of having been designed by a committee of back-slapping dudes who say “bro” all the time. Despite one or two clever moments, it's just not fun, and constantly gives you that Johnny Rotten feeling of having been cheated. D.

43. Warrior of Rome (Genesis)

A "re-beat" in service of the Sega-16 beat-'em-all effort. I'll stick with what I said last year, but I'll officially downgrade the game to a D-.

In the past month I've also "re-beaten" Gain Ground, Astérix and the Great Rescue, and Jewel Master for the Sega-16 effort, all of which I've beaten in the past on Hard but beat this time around on Normal difficulty. Actually, Gain Ground is arguably harder on Normal than Hard, since you have to build up your army by rescuing prisoners (though you can ultimately amass a larger army because of that).

I also summited the final mountain, Everest, for the first time in the TI-99/4A game Alpiner. However, the manual seems to expect you to complete three loops, and unfortunately, the game becomes essentially unplayable on the third loop. Plus there's no ending!

More Genesis sports games.

World Series Baseball '95 - A great improvement over the original installment. The controls are still a bit sketchy and the presentation could use a few more refinements, but the batting, pitching, and statistical underpinnings of WSB '95 are supremely satisfying. This is probably my favorite baseball game of all time. A-

R.B.I. '94 - Fun enough, but top-tier pitchers break the game--you can easily throw perfect no-hitters against the CPU. An option to jump straight to the playoffs would have been nice. C-

John Madden Football - The passing system saw noticeable refinement in the immediate sequel (Madden '92), but it's still a bit unwieldy here. Regardless, a remarkably good football game, especially for its time. B

NFL '95 - Stiff and slow. The AI is crippled. It's nearly impossible to have success passing the ball. It's ridiculously difficult to tackle the opposing ball carriers--they bounce off your defenders like pinballs. Not quite broken, but thoroughly mediocre. C-

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

51. Doom 64 - Nintendo 64

Played this thru Doom 64 EX on PC.. Fantastic game, once I was able to play it where it belongs (on pc) Perhaps if I had an n64 & this game in its time I would have been fine with it. That said, this game is BRILLIANT!! Coming very close to dethroning the original, just because I love the updated sprites & the overall creepiness of the game.

If you're like me, in that you dislike the 64 controller but want to play this game, track down Doom 64 EX on pc and give it a go. Seriously a wonderful game.

52. Splatterhouse 3 - Genesis

In celebration of October, I decided to plow thru this bad boy. This is actually the first classic Splatterhouse I've finished. Personally, I love the reboot game on Xbox 360/PS3, this game is unlockable on that disc.

I played a Genesis ROM version, even tho I have this on 360.

Excellent side scrolling, gory awesomeness.

World Series Baseball '96 - Genesis

The hitting has been toned down a bit, but this is essentially the same game as World Series Baseball '95, which isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately for me, having spent a fair amount of time with the series now, I've come to understand the nuances of pitching to a degree that the game(and likely the series) is pretty much broken for me. A good game in it's own right, but I believe that sequels like this should make improvements to the formula, and this game doesn't. B+

Planescape: Torment - PC (Mac)

The writing is well above average, but I didn't find the story to be all that compelling, and the plot itself, in typical Obsidian fashion, is too convoluted for it's own good. Every other RPG element in the game is substandard, especially the boring and nearly non-existent combat. The game's lengthy first act includes some of the most tedious and blatant fetch-questing I've ever endured. I wouldn't fault anyone who abandoned this game before the halfway mark.

Planescape: Torment is the most story-driven RPG I've ever played. The story elements are so predominating that I'm not sure why Obsidian even chose to make the game an RPG. Frankly, it would have been better off as a point-and-click adventure or somesuch. On balance, I enjoyed the game enough to give it a B, but I don't subscribe at all to the prevalent hyperbolic sentiment that this is the greatest CRPG ever made.

Edited by Christophero Sly

53. Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 3DS

Most likely my GOTY. An amazing Atlus first person dungeon crawler RPG. A remake/reboot of the very first Etrian Odyssey game from the Nintendo DS, & a breath of fresh air to the series if you ask me. With the added Story mode, the the mapping & combat is broken up a bit by voice acting & a few animated cut scenes. A bit of the character customization is taken away in the story mode because it is 5 set character classes, but you're still able to customize weapons/armor/accessories & allocate points on each characters skill/stat tree.

A classic mode is also available, if you're not feeling the story mode, where complete character customization is available. However a couple of classes are unlocked only by finishing the story mode. As they are new to this remake.

This game is very addictive,( as are all the Etrian Odyssey games) & very good. Definitely the most accessible to new fans of the series, and a very good starting point for First person Dungeon Crawler RPGs in general!

This morning I finally completed Resident Evil (NGC) 100%! I unlocked all costumes, did the 5 and 3 hour speed-runs to unlock the gun and the rocket launcher with unlimited ammo and then even completed the game in "invisible enemies" mode, unlocking the special congratulatory message from Shinji Mikami :)

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man X2, Captain Commando, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara, Street Fighter Alpha, Final Fight 3, Darkstalkers Chronicle & Resident Evil

• Like 3

44. The Incredible Crash Dummies (Genesis)

This platformer was made by the same developers who did B.O.B. and Wayne's World, and you can certainly tell. Despite its bad reputation it controls fairly well, has a decent sense of humor, and shows flashes of inspiration in the level design. However the boss fights are poor and somewhat inscrutable -- I wasn't always sure why I won or lost. C+.

45. The Adventures of Mighty Max (Genesis)

Mediocre puzzle-platformer with a ridiculously high-jumping protagonist. It's got a few good ideas, but poor design and repetitive gameplay keep it from rising above low-grade shovelware status. D.

46. Hit the Ice (Genesis)

Decent arcade-style hockey game is fairly shallow but plays well. Heck, I'd even say it's downright fun at times. However, it's too easy to run out the clock by skating in circles. C+.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

54. Ys Chronicles+ Book 1: Vanished Omens - Steam

Excellent game! I enjoyed the simplicity of the controls, but missed the slight variety of combat. The Run & Bump combat is good enough for a game this short, but I would have liked a bit of magic or something to break it up a bit (I think this is present in Book 2).

I finished this in about 9 hours, which I think is kind of long, but I did spend a lot of time exploring, and looking for items.. Had to backtrack a few times when I missed some armor/weapon upgrades. the game is very quick, character moves very fast, and the dungeons are small. The Dharm Tower takes some time, especially if you have to back track.

Last boss is a bitch.. LOL

All in all, I really enjoyed it!

Onward to Book 2.

During the last couple of days I played through Street Fighter Alpha 2 (PS2 Anthology) with all 19 characters :)

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man X2, Captain Commando, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara, Street Fighter Alpha, Final Fight 3, Darkstalkers Chronicle, Resident Evil & Street Fighter Alpha 2

• Like 1

47. Pro Quarterback (Genesis)

I'm not in a position to say whether this lives up to its title as the worst football game on the Genesis; since I was playing it for the Sega-16 beat 'em all effort, one of its biggest flaws -- the fact that you only play a single game, with no difficulty settings or season options -- was somewhat lost on me. I found it at least playable, and wasn't bothered by the graphic shortcomings. But if even I, who understandeth the rules of football not, can beat a football game within an hour, it must be a real pushover. D.

48. Todd’s Adventures in Slime World (Genesis)

Frustrating, ear-shredding, cheap, ugly, repetitive, with expletive-inducing controls and stage design that keeps the expletives coming back. And I too kept coming back until the whole thing was done (which took a while). C+.

49. Vigilante (Sega Master System)

It's games like this that make me wonder how the Master System ever hoped to compete with the NES. I could overlook the poor presentation (annoying music, garish colors) if the gameplay was interesting and the controls were crisp; instead, we get the worst parts of Kung Fu and Double Dragon, plus pathetic/buggy boss fights. As for the challenge level, within 75 minutes of putting Vigilante in my SMS for the first time, I was able to 1LC the whole game -- and yet I never got the damned thing to jumpkick consistently, or even semi-consistently. D-.

50. ALF (Sega Master System)

Also a disaster of a game, with all kinds of technical flaws and gameplay somewhere between Action 52 and a middling Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree title. Plus, as my fiancée noted, it's a relief when ALF dies since the music stops for a bit.

And yet I find it less objectionable than Vigilante, partly because of the nature of the license, and partly just because it amused me somehow. Also, it doesn't hurt that it marks a milestone for me: not just 50 games beaten this year, but 500 games beaten in my gaming "career" to date. (Or at least that's what my list tells me: and some games are on the list that shouldn't be, others aren't and probably should, but a milestone's a milestone.) D.

• Like 2

Still chipping away at Genesis sports games for the Sega-16 effort.

NFL Quarterback Club

Just a few quirks keep this one off the A-list of 16-bit football games. B+

David Robinson's Supreme Court

A decent game, for what it is. B

NBA Showdown '94

Something of a hybrid between the vs series and the Live series. Passing system could use some work, but otherwise respectable. B

NBA Action '94

The best 16-bit basketball game I've played. There's a certain realism and authenticity to this game that no other 16-bit basketball game quite captures. A-

• Like 1

I've finished Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers (NES) at least 15 times this year. Fun game......one of my favs.

I've also finished DuckTales (NES) maybe 3 or 4 times this year, on easy/novice setting. Also one of my favs. I find that game to be a bit more difficult than Rescue Rangers...

Heh.. RR's easy? Try doing multiplayer on that game. People I've roomed with in the past almost got into fist-fights with me because of that game. Both players MUST be in sync with one another to make it through as a team. Multiplayer on it ranks up with the Contra games.

• Like 1

Games I've beaten this year:

Another World/Out of This World (Android version, and not ashamed to admit to use of a walkthrough. Great game, and.. "mycaruba"? :))

Robocop (NES, that game is just unnecessarily brutal in difficulty. Also beat it while live-streaming a playthrough to friends.)

Ghosts 'n Goblins (NES, did it Game Center CX-style. Legitimately completed in a span of 23 hours over three consecutive nights.)

• Like 1

I just beat the first "God of War" for PS2 on normal. I'd already finished GOW2. BTW, the game LOCKED UP ON ME TWICE during Ares' third form, but third time was the charm, because then I finally beat it with no problem. I can't believe I was persistent enough to do this and not just chuck the disc in the trash from frustration. My sense of completion got the better of me.

• Like 2