IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

The Suffering - XBOX

Not really a survival-horror game, as I was lead to believe. Supernatural-action game is a better descriptor. Actually, it doesn't make for much of an action game either. Stiff control, cumbersome inventory management, and poor AI firmly root the gameplay in mediocrity. The story is weak, convoluted, and meandering, and the game fails to generate the "atmosphere" and sense of immersion that are essential for games of this nature. The game has a few good ideas, but never capitalizes on them to create anything worthwhile. Mediocrity defined. C

Edited by Christophero Sly

Here's my updated list for the year so far:

Games with * I have on cartridge again, ** have cart and box or manual, *** are already CIB. I'm basically doing "collect as I beat 'em (all modes)"

Last update
1. Dragon Warrior - NES*** - Max level
2. Super Mario Bros. - NES* - both quests
3. Mickey Mousecapade - NES*
4. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan FDS) - NES* [Repro] - as Mario including extra worlds
5. The Legend of Zelda - NES* - both quests all items
6. Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES* - as Mario
7. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES* - all levels
8. Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES* - as Chip
9. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - NES* - regular playthrough (didn't bother with 2nd quest as it's no harder/different)
10. Yo! Noid - NES*
11. Faxanadu - NES* - all items
12. Kirby's Adventure - NES* - 100% perfect
13. Legendary Wings - NES*
14. Renegade - NES* - all 3 difficulties
15. Big Nose the Caveman - NES*
16. The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy - NES*
17. Felix the Cat - NES*
18. The Three Stooges - NES*
19. Sonic the Hedgehog - SMS - all chaos emeralds & bonus stages
20. Sonic the Hedgehog - SG*** - all chaos emeralds
21. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - SMS - all chaos emeralds
22. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - SG*** - all chaos emeralds as Sonic & Tails, Sonic, and Tails
23. Sonic Chaos - SMS - all chaos emeralds as Sonic, cleared as Tails (he doesn't get emeralds)
24. Sonic Spinball - SG* all rings/multiball stages
25. Sonic the Hedgehog - GG*** - all chaos emeralds & bonus stages
26. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - SG*** - all chaos emeralds as Sonic & Tails, Sonic, and Tails
27. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - GG*** - all chaos emeralds
28. Sonic Chaos - GG*** - all chaos emeralds as Sonic, cleared as Tails (he doesn't get emeralds)
29. Sonic & Knuckles - SG* - all chaos emeralds as Sonic, and Knuckles
30. Super Mario Land - GB* - both quests
31. Kirby's Dream Land - GB* - both quests
32. Sonic 3D Blast - SG* - all chaos emeralds
33. Super Mario World - SNES* - all 96 exits + Bowser's castle
34. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES* - all items
35. Super Mario All-Stars - SNES* - all stages of all games cleared as Mario
36. Pilotwings - SNES*
37. Donkey Kong Country - SNES* - 101%
38. Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - SMS
39. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - GB* - all 31 exits + Wario's Castle
40. Spider-Man & the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge - SNES*
41. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - GB* - all items, no deaths!
42. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - SNES* - 102%
43. The Jungle Book - SG* - all 3 difficulties
44. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - SNES* [pirate cart] - 103%
45. Sonic 3D Blast - SS* - all chaos emeralds
46. Super Mario 64 - N64* - all 120 Stars
47. King's Field (J) - PS1***
48. King's Field - PS1* - missing a few magic crystals
49. Kirby Super Star - SNES* - 100%
50. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - PS1 - all 99 mudokons saved
51. Beyond the Beyond - PS1*** - completed with all 8 characters at high levels
52. Yoshi's Story - N64 - all levels cleared and black & white Yoshis unlocked.
53. Vandal-Hearts - PS1*** - all secret items & chests found, all secret levels cleared and Ash's secret transformation done
54. Sonic Triple Trouble - GG*** - completed with all emeralds with both Sonic and Tails
55. Taz-Mania - SG* - completed on all 3 difficulties
56. Spider-Man/X-Men - SG*
57. Bucky O'Hare - NES
58. Sonic Blast - GG*** - completed with all emeralds with both Sonic and Knuckles
59. Tails Skypatrol (J) - GG***
60. Sonic Spinball - GG*** - completed on both easy and normal modes
61. Sonic CD - SCD - completed main game with all time stones, completed all time trials fast enough to unlock DA Garden.
62. Sonic Drift (J) - GG*** - completed all grand prix with all characters on both normal and hard modes
63. Tuff E. Nuff - SNES* - beat easy, normal and hard modes with all 4 characters

NEW UPDATE:

64. Alundra - PS1 - 100% all items
65. Donkey Kong Land - GB - 100%
66. Donkey Kong - GB
67. Pokémon: Blue Version - GB - Defeated the elite trainers, obtained all in-game Pokémon possible to catch in a single playthrough without trading, leveled all to at least 50 and evolved all of them. Pokedex total is 124 have been owned.
68. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 3DS*** - all star coins found and all levels cleared
69. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II - PS3* (PSN) - all emeralds collected and all stages cleared
70. Final Fantasy - NES*** - completed game with Fighter, Thief, Black Belt and Red Mage
71. Dizzy the Adventurer - NES Aladdin
72. The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy - NES Aladdin
73. Metroid - NES

57. Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - Nintendo DS

I freakin love Mr Driller. This was an excellent version too! I just beat the Mission mode.

Haven't played the Pressure mode yet, but I feel that 12 hours of drilling & seeing the credits roll is good enough for now.

• Like 1

59. Call of Duty 3 - Xbox

Back in the day when CoD was just another WWII FPS... This was pretty good, although I must admit that for me, it's hard to go backwards with this series. Control wise, I felt the character was really sluggish, but all the aiming/shooting controls were excellent.

Enjoyable enough for me.. I started this one a while back, but just finished it after completing Ghosts.

QUADRUPLE POST!!

"God of War II", for the second time. When I originally bought this game used, the disc was damaged, and the game froze at the end credits. So I recently got a new copy and this one was fine. Now I can play "Titan Mode" and the "Challenge of the Titans", yay.

• Like 2

Neverwinter Night 2: Mask of the Betrayer (PC/MAC(WINE))

At least an order of magnitude better than the original Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign. MotB still suffers from the Aurora engine's many flaws--the awful camera being the most grievous. And, as always, attempting to fit a turn-based rule set into a real-time framework, is, was, and always will be ill-advised. Nevertheless, the writing, characters, plot, pacing, encounter designs, dialog, etc. in MotB are vastly improved over the original campaign.

Unfortunately, MotB falls apart completely at the denouement, abandoning its central premise by introducing an almost literal deus-ex-machina to hand wave it all away with a few brief sentences, leaving the final scenes and epilogue to play out as the most prosaic of cliches. Probably the most unsatisfying ending to any cRPG I've ever played.

MotB could have been one of the greatest cRPG's ever made. Instead I'm left to ponder whether MotB was, ultimately, just as much of a waste of my time as the original campaign was. B-

60. Virtua Fighter 2 - Saturn

Awesome 3d fighter.. Don't need to go into much detail on this one.

61. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS

This game.. Is fantastic.. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of SRPG's.. But I gotta say, this one makes me want to play more.. Great story.. Excellent combat.. Very fast pace.. and Effin Gorgeous. Must have for 3DS owners.

• Like 2

More Genesis sports games for the Sega-16 effort.

Bass Masters Classic - Simplistic mechanics and shallow gameplay. C-

MLBPA Baseball - Completely broken pitching. It's all but impossible to strike out the CPU, and that ruins what is otherwise a decent game. C-

Super High Impact - Only have to play one game to beat this one, which took me about 15 minutes, not long enough for me to form an opinion. NA

NBA Live '95 - Most consider this the best game of 16-bit basketball. I've never really been a fan. It's just too sloppy for my tastes. B

Mike Ditka's Power Football - A weak game with many fundamental flaws, but it's not without its charms. D+

NBA Live '96 - It may be my imagination, but this installment feels more responsive and a bit less sloppy than '95. The AI seems to be improved as well. Still not a big fan of this series though. B

• Like 1

61. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS

This game.. Is fantastic.. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of SRPG's.. But I gotta say, this one makes me want to play more.. Great story.. Excellent combat.. Very fast pace.. and Effin Gorgeous. Must have for 3DS owners.

This game is why the 3DS will be my first current gen purchase :D

• Like 1

"Golden Axe" for the Sega Genesis, actual console not emulated. I've had this for years but never got around to beating it for some reason.

Not too hard. I used Gilius Thunderhead (the short one with the axe). Just make it to the final boss with at least three lives left and full magic, and you shouldn't have much trouble. He can be annoying with the powerful magic attacks but he's not that bad.

Now beating it without using any continues might be tricky. I could also try with the other two characters.

• Like 3

51. Last Action Hero (Genesis)

Widely held to be among the Genesis's lousiest titles, but it's actually not that bad. I found it pretty easy to cotton on to the side-scrolling action sequences, and though they're repetitive they actually play reasonably well once you get used to them. The driving sequences, on the other hand, are aggravating and simplistic -- once you know what you're supposed to do, there's almost nothing to them -- and the helicopter boss is cheap and borderline unfair. (The final boss can be tricky too.) It's still not a good game, but it was kind of fun to figure it out. D+.

52. No Escape (Genesis)

Another game maligned as one of the worst on the system, but other than the unfortunate opening level, this Flashback-ish action-adventure is actually pretty good, with some interesting puzzle-solving and multiple endings. The controls are flawed and combat's kind of a mess, but you can still tell some TLC was put into the game. C+.

53. Wani Wani World (Genesis)

Beat this in 2P mode with my fiancée, working our way up to the hardest settings (Hard/3 Lives/3 Continues) and benefiting from a generous slot machine on our winning playthrough. It's a bit like a cross between Bubble Bobble and Lode Runner, and once you get on the right wavelength it's quite a lot of fun! Too bad it wasn't released stateside. A.

• Like 1

NEW UPDATE:

74. Lagoon - SNES - all items you can keep, max level
75. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - all fragments and endings. no DLC
76. 1941: Counter Attack - Arcade
77. 1943: The Battle of Midway - Arcade
78. 1944: The Loop Master - Arcade
79. 64th Street: A Detective Story - Arcade - both characters
80. Action Hollywood - Arcade
81. Air Attack - Arcade

It's really funny when running in Action Hollywood. The character goes: "go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go....." He says go like every step haha. Fun puzzle like game where you hit enemies with a whip/stick/sword gather treasures and watch out for booby traps. Your goal is to step on every tile of the maze.

There are some other cool arcade games I decided to keep when going down the list but they either needed to be played with other modes or characters or were too hard to try to beat the first time I played them and might be easier to play with a PS3 controller than the Ouya controller. Some of them don't let you continue instantly and instead put you back at the beginning of the level. I need to somehow try to also disable the top button (where triangle is on Playstation) from being a volume control. I really don't need a volume control on my controller and I keep accidentally hitting it during intense fighting games.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Mirror's Edge (360)

Great concept. Terrible execution. Why guns were ever added to this game is one of gaming's great mysteries. Their presence is so incongruent that they ruin the game, turning it into perhaps the most aggravating example of trial-and-error gameplay I've ever experienced. It's not that I necessarily mind trial-and-error gameplay. When it's a test of skill--fine. But here, it's entirely stochastic. Whether you complete a stage on your first try or end up replaying it a dozen times comes down to one or two random stray bullets. There are far better ways to generate tension and instill a sense of celerity in the player than filling the screen with hot lead. Guns represent such lazy design in this game, and their addition is so indicative of what's gone wrong in gaming this generation. It's a shame; the concept had enormous potential, but all that can really be salvaged here is some strong art and sound direction--the story/plot/acting are also crap and add nothing to the game. I gave a great deal of consideration to whether I felt this was a mediocre game undone by numerous flaws, or a bad game of which I could maybe say a few positive things. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter to me how much potential an idea carries. How unique or beautiful a game looks and sounds, on it's own, is also irrelevant. If it isn't any fun, if playing it is a chore, it's a bad game. D+

Now this was a surprise to me:

82. Dragon Warrior II - NES

I can't believe I beat all 5 last bosses on my first try with characters only level 43, 38 and 31. Those "Shield of Strength" (used as Healmore item) and "Dragon's Bane" for each character really must have come in handy. That and the 2nd prince kept gaining between 6-10 power enhancements every level up since about 34 or 35, making him at least half the strength of the leader and with double attacks per round due to the Falcon sword. First time beating the game legit :)

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

Gear of War 2 (360)

A huge surprise. I strongly disliked the first Gears of War and expected to feel the same way about this sequel. But pretty much everything I disliked about the first game has been fixed in GoW2. The pacing, staging, and narrative sweep are all vastly improved. The gunplay is more satisfying. There's a much greater variety to the various stages, with some exceptional level design and spectacular set pieces. GoW2 flows in a way that the first one just didn't. Everything feels much more "open" this time around. GoW2 has a "personality" that its predecessor lacked. The gameplay is as shallow as ever, but the mechanics are so dialed-in and the whole thing is so over-the-top that I couldn't help but get swept up in the experience. B+

• Like 1

Took me almost two months, but now I've played with all Star Gladiator (PSX) characters to their 'true ending'. I also beat it with the secret characters Kappah and Blood, albeit they only have credits rolling in the end... :)

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man X2, Captain Commando, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara, Street Fighter Alpha, Final Fight 3, Darkstalkers Chronicle, Resident Evil, Street Fighter Alpha 2 & Star Gladiator.

62. Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Xbox

Wow! I really enjoyed this game!! Very fast moving, Diablo style Dungeon Crawler. Although maybe Diablo does it Gauntlet style (not to be confused with Gangnam Style).

At any rate, this game is excellent, story is pretty meh, but the combat is awesome! Only complaint I have is that it's too short.. But eh, I like playing short games.

54. Pocahontas (Genesis)

Oddly enough, this rare Disney title has a couple slight similarities to No Escape (which I beat a few weeks ago). It's certainly a fine-looking title, but control shortcomings and questionable design decisions undermine what could otherwise have been a sleeper classic. Also, the opening level's rendition of "Colors of the Wind" gets old very fast. C.

55. Kingdom: The Far Reaches (3DO)

An updated port of Thayer's Quest for the ill-fated Halcyon laserdisc console, this FMV adventure had me and my fiancée utterly, completely stumped, and setting it aside for a year (!) didn't help. After spending an evening getting nowhere, I ultimately caved and looked at a walkthrough...

...and I only needed to read the first two sentences to realize we'd completely missed an item that we were supposed to get right away, by taking a path that was meant to be obvious (but thanks to UI issues, it wasn't). Compounding the problem, we were playing on the lower Apprentice difficulty level, which removes some of the puzzles but leaves behind FMV scenes that, without proper context, are confusing and come off as red herrings.

Anyway, once we had the item we missed, we tore through the game in no time, and Wizard difficulty went down the following night. Overall it's an engaging little slice of the 1980s, and while it's not an especially deep game, it takes a little bit of thinking and planning to navigate its challenges. However, bad audio work makes some of the dialogue almost incomprehensible, which is a real problem in this genre. B.

56. Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama (Genesis)

This beach-bum platformer, from the man behind INTV Corp., bears an unexpected resemblance to Bubsy, of all things. You even collect bouncing multicolored balls to earn (points for) extra lives. It's got modest charm and a few clever ideas, but issues with the physics and stage design massively increase the frustration factor. And why can't I fully customize the controls? C.

BTW according to my list, Normy's is the 100th Genesis game I've ever beaten. OK, I'm counting the two different regions of Art of Fighting twice, and I'm not counting a few games I haven't beaten on Hard mode, but...

The final Capcom game beaten in 2013 is Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (Capcom Digital Collection)! Certainly also nailed all 12 achievements. It's not a particularly hard task to do, but better have a good book or a handheld game ready while waiting for online players, it can take quite some time to win those 20 ranked matches... :)

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man X2, Captain Commando, Tower of Doom, Shadow Over Mystara, Street Fighter Alpha, Final Fight 3, Darkstalkers Chronicle, Resident Evil, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Star Gladiator & Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.