IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

Dragon Warrior IV - NES (Emulated)

I wanted to play this over again, since I have not played it since I got an actual cart, but the battle system was just too slow, and I couldn't find (apparently because I am dumb) a NES emulator with fast forward emulator speed. Then a friend decided to tell me that I could use the emulator I always use, FCEUX, and use TAB. Took me 2 days of casual gameplay, so perhaps 4 hours. Makes grinding a dream. I am going to grind the characters levels up to 99, then try and grind for Stat Nuts so I can max other stats.

Also, after grinding, it's amazing to find things that I didn't know dropped from mobs. Somehow I picked up a Wizard's Ring grinding in Necrosaro's palace, nice to have as an emergency backup if Mara somehow runs out of MP.

I finished Shadows of the Damned today. It's another fine game from Grasshopper. Playing it I had a lot of fun from start to finish, albeit it's clearly no match for their masterpiece No More Heroes series! :)

(In fact I've become such a Grasshopper fanboy, that I just ordered Flower, Sun and Rain for the DS, even though I think it will most likely suck :twisted:)

Neverwinter Nights 2 (Mac)

Uninspired, unpolished, and glitchy. The writing is poor. The plot is laborious. The story is meandering and banal. The pacing is wearisome. The characters are poorly developed. The level designs are bland and unimaginative. With maybe a half dozen performances excepted, the voice acting is miserable. The AI is horrendous. The D&D 3.5 ruleset in unnecessarily complex, and attempting to make a turn-based ruleset work in a real-time context is, was, and always will be ill-advised.

I can only come up with two things to say about this game that aren't negatives. The spell-effect animations are decent and the musical score is, actually, exceptionally well done. It's unfortunate that it was wasted on this effort.

I hate to sound cynical, but I don't understand why this game even exists; it contributes nothing to the western canon. After playing this game, I'm left to question my decision to support Obsidian's recent kickstarter project. I'm giving it a C-, and only that high because I can't accept the fact that I wasted 40+ hours of my life on something so undeserving.

I've also beaten the following Genesis games:

Joe Montana Football - Not very realistic in terms of X' and O's, but it nails just about everything else about the game of football, like the importance of momentum, rushing the passer, turnovers, and big plays. I played it through solo, but this is one of the greatest two-players games ever made. B+

PGA Tour Golf - Together with it's three immediate sequels, the greatest golf games of all time. This first installment of the series is a little rough around the edges and missing a few features, but the core gameplay is nearly perfect. A

Out of this World - Disappointed that the Genesis version suffers from just as much slowdown as the SNES version, but the game itself is a bona fide classic. A masterpiece of style and design. A

PGA Tour '96 - EA reinvents the wheel. Not actually "broken", but close enough. D+

Edited by Christophero Sly

Oh, hey, I didn't realize that was you over at Sega-16! :) Thanks for all your contributions there. And speaking of which:

5. Tony La Russa Baseball (Genesis)

Beat this for the Sega-16 beat 'em all, playing a shortened season and mercilessly exploiting the overly generous savegame options. More details here. 3/10 is the site rating, which is roughly the equivalent of a D, and I think that's about right.

Oh, hey, I didn't realize that was you over at Sega-16! :) Thanks for all your contributions there.

Yup, it's me, and it's my pleasure to participate. I'm having a lot of fun.

However, for your role in spearheading the project and administrating it, it is you who deserves the thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6. Bonkers (Genesis)

Beat this on Easy and Normal yesterday, and Hard today. (You actually get an extra ending cutscene on Hard, which was a nice touch.)

I actually enjoyed the game a bit more on Hard, but my comments from the Sega-16 beat-'em-all thread still stand. Above all, instantly respawning enemies are never acceptable in a game like this. But it's still navigable and sometimes fun, so I think a C is about right.

Completed Dust: An Elysian Tail on Tough difficulty, while unlocking all achievements (first time I ever did so in a modern-gen console game). The game kicked my ass a lot of times (to the point where I had to stock up on the Revival Stones for "extra lives"). Won't spoil anything, but the plot twists and the ending are rather emotional. Definitely was one of the more satisfying Metroidvania-styled games I've played.

• Like 1

7. Wolfenstein 3D - XBLA

I've played TONS of Wolfenstein, & this is an excellent port of the game! As far as I can tell, pretty darn close to the original PC version. Good stuff, Cheap too. I think its something like 400 MS Points for all 6 episodes.

PGA European Tour (Genesis)

As good as the original PGA Tour game in every way but one: the hyperactive wind crosses the threshold into cheap and causes the game to loose half a grade in my estimation. A-

Chi Chi's Pro Golf (Genesis)

I couldn't make sense of this game until I discovered that the power meter is geometric, not linear as it is in every other golf game. I had to use a calculator to accurately determine my yardages, but that enabled me to beat the CPU 3 and 2 in head-to-head match play on normal difficulty, on the hardest course in the game. Nevertheless, the game is well below par. D

Using the multi tap again, we just played through Captain Commando (CCC2 on PS2) - me, my wife and both kids in 4-player co-op. Certainly unlocking everything :)

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, Breath of Fire II, Mega Man X2 & Captain Commando

9. Basketball (Atari 2600)

I've had this game (in one form or another) since I was a kid, but I'm not sure whether I ever actually beat the computer. Today I pulled it out on a whim, and beat the CPU something like 40-38 on B difficulty, where both sides can move equally fast.

Then I played on A difficulty, where the player is slower than the compter. I tied my first match 38-38 (I think), then beat the CPU in my second match, 16-14, when I got the lead, happened to land on a spot where the computer went into an endless loop of unsuccessful attempts to steal the ball, and simply ran out the clock.

Silly to give a game like this a grade, but how about a B+. It's crude and simplistic, sure, but undeniably fun. It might be one of the most fun basketball games I've ever played, actually, which probably reflects my lack of interest in the sport (though I liked Double Dribble on NES).

• 2 weeks later...

8. Wolfenstein 3D - Atari Jaguar

Definitely one of my favorite ports of this game. Picked it up recently, and played thru it last night & this evening. Love the save feature & the updated sprites & music. One of the better reasons to own a Jaguar. I'll say that this game actually trumps the port of Doom, and that's a bold statement based on my fanaticism of Doom.