IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2013 (Season 6)

This week's early bird entry:

Atari 2600:

- Dschungel Boy: 5 minutes

- Ms Pac Man: 5 minutes

- Warlords: 10 minutes

Dschungel Boy is a german clone of Ptfall!. It is not bad, controls are precise. But the graphics are clunky and the sound is... spartanic. That game and Ms Pac Man were my flea market finds today. I had them both already, but for one Euro per cart, I had to save them from harsh weather and a slow death at the bottom of a seller's box. I'm sure I'll find a good home for them sooner or later.

NES:

- Duck Tales: 8 minutes

- Kirby's Adventure: 45 minutes

- Kung Fu: 5 minutes

Found Kung Fu today as well on the same flea market. A good day, I'd say. The cart looks like it was run over by a truck and the label is fubar, but it works fine. Glad I'm a gamer, not a collector :-).

Game Boy:

- Kirby's Dreamland: 4 minutes

- Mega Man: 28 minutes

- Wario Land: 62 minutes

I did come round to trying my (undeveloped) Gameboy skills on Mega Man. Man, this game is hard. Well, either that or I am still too new to the Game boy. Kirby is the last flea market find of today. I only had time to quicky test if it works.

• Like 1

Hmm... I believe you keep track of your weekly highscores over the years. Did you ever hack them into excel and plot it? I'd be interested to see that ;)

I just started keeping track about a year ago. ? Maybe longer I don't know but I haven't put them in excel.

Here are my times for this past week (Feb. 25th through March 3rd)...

Atari 2600:

D.K.VCS (WIP) - 3 min.

Vanguard - 37 min.

Creativision:

Crazy Chicky - 22 min.

TI-99:

Mirror Maze (WIP) - 4 min.

I decided to play Vanguard on the Atari 2600 again in order to see how far I get into it... on Stage 1, you have unlimited continues, but on Stage 2, you have none. And I didn't manage to complete Stage 2, although I did manage to complete Stage 1 without using a single continue.

Crazy Chicky is a Pac-Man clone on the Creativision where you are a chick and lay eggs instead of eating dots. The game is a bit slow, but still difficult since the foxes chasing you are faster than you. However, they take short breaks when taking turns, so the fact that you can outrun them by taking turns has been taken over from the original. But the enemies' AI is weak, they often go back and forth only, but still manage to eventually arrive at your place.

Mirror Maze is another variation on Pac-Man for the TI-99. Here each pellet is basically divided into its core and outline. In the initial maze, you can only eat the cores. To completely eat the pellets, you have to leave the initial maze through the tunnels which gets you into the mirror maze. In it, you can eat the outline of the pellets, but the left/right controls are reversed!

In the next weeks, my playing time will probably diminish greatly because a colleague of mine has complained that I'm not stressed enough at work. I know he means work only, but I always take such things seriously. As a counter-measure against that, I decided to follow my priority list much more strictly from March 1st on. This doesn't leave room for spontaneous gaming anymore, however surfing AtariAge is on that list, and this also includes trying out new homebrews or other games I stumble upon, even if it's only for a few minutes.

• Like 1

Well i finally broke down and bought a harmony cart :) And so I've been playing alot this week.

2600 -

Homebrews -

Drunken pooper - 10min

Nitebear on sleepy street - 25min

Candy bar - 5min

Auto Mayhem - 5min

Game catcher - 5min

Double Dragon arcade - 10min

galaxian arcade - 20min

Heartbreak - 120min

EmrII - 15min

Epic Adventure -10min

Bombs away - 25min

Cave in - 10min

Gate racer - 20min

Primate plunge - 15min

Turbo - 10min

Eat Dem Bananas - 15min

Trashmania - 10min

Space rocks - 30min

Frantic - 5min

Medieval Mayhem - 10min

Candy catcher - 5min

HunchyII - 10min

Halo2600 - 5min

Bomb on pixel city - 10min

Man goes down - 45min

Pacman 4k - 15min

Super Mario 2600 world 1 demo - 30 min

Blinky goes up - 10min

DK VCS - 10min

Toyshop Trouble - 20min

Reindeer rescue - 5min

seaweed assault - 15min

Astar - 5min

Non homebrew -

Communist mutants from space - 20min

Earth dies screaming - 45min

Seaquest - 20min

Missile command - 20min

Kaboom - 15min

Rampage - 10min

Dancing Plates - 5min

And a few games i decided to try but would never recommend lol

Bachelorette Party - 5min

Burning Desire - 1min

Beat Em & Eat Em - 5min

Custers Revenge - 2min

• Like 1

PC-DOS:

Duke Nukem 3D - 15 min.

Quake - 15 min.

PC (Windows 95):

Earthsiege 2 - 15 min.

MechWarrior 2: Titanium - 15 min.

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries Titanium - 15 min.

MechWarrior 3 - 20 min.

Shogo - 10 min.

Picked up a Pentium III 733 mhz w/Motherboard and 512 mb of ram for $5 and built it into a Windows 95 2.5 setup. Paired it with a Geforce 3 (non-ti), 12 mb STb voodoo2 and a SB PCI128.

Edited by twoquickcapri
  • Like 1

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Strategy X - 2 min.

Genesis:

Andre Agassi Tennis - 73 min.

James Bond 007: The Duel - 51 min.

Mortal Kombat II - 56 min.

Rampart - 140 min.

Warrior of Rome II - 395 min.

Rampart continues to be the football, and I'm Charlie Brown. Ah, well.

I also played through Mortal Kombat II on Medium, cleared four missions or so in Warrior of Rome II, and nosed about a bit in Andre Agassi Tennis (confirming that Skins mode isn't worth playing) and James Bond 007: The Duel (which is basically a Rolling Thunder clone with bad platforming).

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 9, running from February 25 - March 3. We logged 2183 minutes of eligible play, playing 72 games on a total of 10 systems.

Top 10:

1. Warrior of Rome II (Genesis) - 395

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 370

3. Rampart (Genesis) - 140

4. Heart Break [beta] (Atari 2600) - 120

5. Andre Agassi Tennis (Genesis) - 73

6. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy) - 62

7. Mortal Kombat II (Genesis) - 56

8. James Bond 007: The Duel (Genesis) - 51

9. Earth Dies Screaming (Atari 2600) - 45

9. Man Goes Down (Atari 2600) - 45

9. Kirby's Adventure (NES/Famicom) - 45

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 370

2. Heart Break [beta] (Atari 2600) - 120

3. Earth Dies Screaming (Atari 2600) - 45

3. Man Goes Down (Atari 2600) - 45

5. Qix (Atari 8-bit) - 40

6. Vanguard (Atari 2600) - 37

7. Space Rocks (Atari 2600) - 30

7. Super Mario 2600 (Atari 2600) - 30

9. Bombs Away (Atari 2600) - 25

9. Nitebear On Sleepy Street (Atari 2600) - 25

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1125)

2. Genesis (715)

3. Game Boy (94)

4. PC (Windows 95/98) (75)

5. NES/Famicom (58)

6. Atari 8-bit (40)

7. PC (DOS) (30)

8. Creativision (22)

9. Atari 5200 (20)

10. TI-99 (4)

Caesar may have won the battle (of the individual charts)...

...but he lost the war (on the system charts), as a gigantic armada of Atari 2600 games combine to take the top spot for the VCS, and wily old Kaboom takes #1 in the pre-NES category.

• Like 2

Here's my contribution for this week. Lots of Game Boy again. It's funny - when the Game Boy was released, I thought I was too old for such a stupid kid's toy. Now I'm approaching 40 and start messing around with that toy. Go figure...

Atari 2600:

- Action Force: 12 minutes

- Circus Atari: 9 minutes

- Jungle Hunt: 6 minutes

- Moon Patrol: 14 minutes

- Pitfall: 4 minutes

- Reactor: 15 minutes

- Smurf: 9 minutes

"Action Force" is the european version of "G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike". It was renamed because... well... no one in Europe gives a flying fornication about G.I. Joe :-). Awesome two-player co-op game - one of the best paddle games I know. Got to give the unusual gameplay a little time to sink in, though. It's worth it!

Four minutes of Pitfall ain't that much. My plan was to do one complete 20 minute run, but I screwed up twice in a row so early that I got sick of the game. Not my day... I sucked.

Game Boy Classic:

- Donkey Kong: 5 minutes

- Mega Man: 10 minutes

- Nemesis: 21 minutes

- Power Racer: 6 minutes

- Solar Striker: 18 minutes

"Power Racer" is in fact a jazzed-up port of Atari`s "Dodge'em". Great fun :-)

"Solar Striker" is a vertical space shooter. I was very impressed by the music. Definetly a tune that stands out in the Game Boy universe.

"Nemesis": horizontal shooter. Wholly shit, it's hard. I really need a joystick for that kind of games.

Game Boy Advance:

- Disney's Treasure Planet: 55 minutes

- Rayman 3: 25 minutes

- Rayman Advance: 22 minutes

"Treasure Planet" is a cute action adventure. However: the first level is quite huge already. Took me almost half an hour to find my way around and finish it in order to get a password for the next level. Not a game to pick up and play for a few minutes.

The two Rayman games are on a single cart called "Rayman 10th Anniversary". I got this dirt cheap on eBay. Definetly a good bang for the buck.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 1

Here are my times for this past week:

Atari 8-bit:

Pac-Man Arcade (2012) - 36 min.

Intellivision:

Rocketeer (Teaser ROM) - 7 min.

PC (non-eligible):

Diner Dash - 59 min.

I cut down on playing time as promised (to myself), but still managed to get a few games in...

Rocketeer is a clone of "Jetpac" which I've played much back in the day on the C-64. The first level shown by the teaser ROM looks good so far, but I noticed that you can't catch the fuel cans in mid-air like you can in the original version, rather you have to wait for them to land before you can pick them up.

Pac-Man Arcade (I'm not sure if it's called Pac-Man Arcade or Pac-Man Arcade 2012) is actually a hack of Ms. Pac-Man, but there were many changes done, and it's about as close to the arcade as you can get on the Atari 8-bit. The music is in tune (which you can't say from all the hacks and homebrews), the sounds are as good as they get with the POKEY chip, and the intermissions are there as well. It only seems to be a bit harder than the arcade version, and later levels pick up on speed instead of shortening the blue time. What do you need more? Well, maybe... a Commodore 64 version. :-)

While those two were relatively new homebrews I tried for the first time, Diner Dash is a revisit which turned up in the priority list I mentioned last week. If a game turns up there, I'll play it for 30-60 minuites a day until I finish it or get tired of it, then it gets replaced by the next game, which in this case would be the arcade game "Cloak & Dagger" which, according to my database, I last played on October 18th, 2006. But maybe I'll throw in some Amiga games next week since I plan to set up my old Amiga 500 for recording some music I did on it some 25 years ago.

• Like 2

Played some new gamecube games and my 260 this week.

2600-

Pony pixel bounce beta - 30min

Heartbreak - 60min

Man Goes Down - 180min

Gate racer - 135min

Gamecube-

Mario kart double dash - 30min

Kirby air ride - 25min

Wario World - 50min

Rampage total destruction - 240min

TMNT - 135min

I-ninja - 60min

Luigis mansion - 30min

• Like 2

My times for the week:

NES:

Tagin' Dragon - 7 min.

Genesis:

Jennifer Capriati Tennis - 20 min.

Summer Challenge - 3 min.

Warrior of Rome II - 621 min.

PlayStation:

Frogger - 211 min.

Fought through a few more scenarios in Warrior of Rome II. I think I don't have to go through them all to beat the game, which is great since they can take 3-5 hours each to clear! I also beat a few more levels in Frogger, and have about seven left to beat (spread between three groups, including the final standalone level), though I haven't found the secret yellow frog in the penultimate set of stages yet.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 10, running from March 4 - 10. We logged 2743 minutes of eligible play, playing 37 games on a total of 8 systems.

Top 10:

1. Warrior of Rome II (Genesis) - 621

2. Age of the Empires (Windows 95/98) - 470

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 429

4. Frogger (PlayStation) - 211

5. Man Goes Down (Atari 2600) - 180

6. Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (Windows 95/98) - 140

7. Gate Racer (Atari 2600) - 135

8. Worms Armageddon (Windows 95/98) - 90

9. Heart Break [beta] (Atari 2600) - 60

9. Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (Windows 95/98) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 429

2. Man Goes Down (Atari 2600) - 180

3. Gate Racer (Atari 2600) - 135

4. Heart Break [beta] (Atari 2600) - 60

5. Pac-Man Arcade (Atari 8-bit) - 36

6. Pony Pixel Bounce [beta] (Atari 2600) - 30

7. Pac-Man (Atari 8-bit) - 25

8. Reactor (Atari 2600) - 15

8. Seawolf (Atari 2600) - 15

8. Donkey Kong (Atari 8-bit) - 15

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries for a top 10. The Atari 2600 would've been first, with 936 minutes.

Last week's scenario recurs again, as Warrior of Rome II takes the top of the individual charts (and enters the 1000-minute club), while Kaboom wins the pre-NES charts (and puts the VCS at #1 on the systems chart).

They're joined in the #2 position by Age of the Empires, putting two empire-building games in the top two spots -- though Warrior of Rome II is really more of an "empire-destroying" sort of affair...

• Like 1

Been on a short 4-day vacation this week, so I'll chip in mostly portable playtime this week:

Game Boy Classic:

- Asterix & Obelix: 5 min

- Donkey Kong: 90 min

- Duck Tales 8 min

- Frogger 10 min

- Gargoyle's Quest 105 min

- Jungle Book 3 min

Gargoyle's Quest is awesome! And super hard. It took me a major part of its overall playtime to get the hang of it and get past level 1 to the first save point. I think I heard in the HVGN review that it's pretty rare and pricy in the US. Here in Germany, it sems to be more common. I picked it up on a flea market for a few Euros, and on German eBay, it's equally cheap. A great game, and worth every cent.

You probably don't know much about Asterix in the US. It's a classic french comic series. I got the game new, tested it for a bit, and it seems to be pretty well-done. Jungle Book came with it - and it stinks. I think I'm gonna resell that one...

Atari 2600:

- Commando 10 min

- Phoenix 30 min

- Super Breakout 8 min

I picked up Commando complete with manual and (rather beat up) box. The manual is hilarious. They wrote 2 pages full of text, when they just could have written "Kill everything that moves - and the trees, while you're at it". The game is really impressive, as far as I can tell. I didn't expect the Atari handle the gameplay of Commando so well.

In Phoenix, I think I'm closing in on my personal highscore. I missed the 100k only by a tiny fraction this time. Need to work on that a little more...

• Like 1

High score of the week: not even 100,000 so I don't know

How heretic would it sound if I suggested another paddle game for a change? By playing something different for a few days, maybe you'll get the eye of the tiger back.

Been busy and a little under the weather. Not feeling much like playing.

Every little bit counts.

• Like 1

How heretic would it sound if I suggested another paddle game for a change? By playing something different for a few days, maybe you'll get the eye of the tiger back.

Every little bit counts.

I have played a few different games during this long run of Kaboom!. I don't remember if it helped though. I may need to take a few

days off.

Chopper Command, Jungle Hunt, Ms. Pac man, and Night Driver are the games I played.