IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2013 (Season 6)

Here are my times for this past week of March 11th through 17th...

PC (non-eligible):

Diner Dash - 186 min. in 3 sessions

TI-99:

Barrage - 15 min.

I mainly continued to play Diner Dash, which is the current entry in my priority list. Apart from that, I played Barrage on the TI-99 at this month's TI-99 meeting. This is a game similar to Missile Command, but without the trails of the incoming rockets. And you have to protect other objects than cities. There's a 2-player competitive and a 2-player cooperative mode. In competitive, each player has a cannon (left / right) and 4 object on his side to protect. In cooperative, both players protect the 8 objects together and share one score counter.

As for the Amiga games I had planned, I tried to setup the Amiga 500, but sadly it doesn't work anymore... it doesn't recognize that a diskette gets inserted.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

My times for the week:

Genesis:

Toki - 104 min.

Warrior of Rome II - 435 min.

NES:

Mega Man 3 - 4 min.

SNES:

Ballz 3D - 15 min.

Mortal Kombat II - 5 min.

PlayStation:

Frogger - 427 min.

Finally beat Frogger -- thoughts here -- and also beat Toki on the easiest difficulty settings. In addition I've been chipping away at Warrior of Rome II, and have now beaten 9 of the game's 15 campaigns.

Otherwise I played a bit of MM3 and MKII for controller testing purposes, and spent 15 minutes button-mashing through Ballz 3D (which I just picked up) until I discovered that I wasn't even halfway through the game and lost interest.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 11, running from March 11-17. We logged 1646 minutes of eligible play, playing 23 games on a total of 7 systems.

Top 10:

1. Warrior of Rome II (Genesis) - 435

2. Frogger (PlayStation) - 427

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 287

4. Gargoyle's Quest (Game Boy) - 105

5. Toki: Going Ape Spit (Genesis) - 104

6. Donkey Kong (Game Boy) - 90

7. Phoenix (Atari 2600) - 30

8. Mach Rider (NES/Famicom) - 25

9. Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - 20

10. Commando Raid (Atari 2600) - 15

10. Ballz 3D (SNES) - 15

10. Barrage (TI-99) - 15

Pre-NES top 10:

Not enough entries for a top 10. (Kaboom would be #1, with 287 minutes.)

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries for a Top 10. (The Genesis would be #1, with 539 minutes.)

The Ides of March have come and gone, and yet we have a third consecutive week at the top for Warrior of Rome II! How un-Shakespearean. It seems that not even the Brutus and Cassius of Frogger and Kaboom could depose it.

• Like 1

My times for the week:

Game Boy Classic

- Frogger: 12 min

- Tetris: 28 min

Nothing special here. Just some good old classic "let's kill a few minutes" games.

NES

- Faxanadu: 99 min

- Tiger Heli: 4 min

Some more time available for Faxanadu - finally. Not that I got much further, though. The game gets harder pretty quickly. Fun, though. The 4 minutes of Tiger Heli were for testing purposes. A new joystick, for which I might shoot a review video at some point...

Atari 2600

- Black Hole: 5 min

- Commando Raid: 50 min

- Crossbow: 22 min

- Missile Command: 8 min

- Ufi und sein gefährlicher Einsatz: 10 min

- Warlords: 14 min

"Black Hole" is a weird looking cart. Much shorter than normal. It was part of a two-game package sold in Germany by an obscure company. It is actually a clunky ripoff of "Cosmic Ark".

"Ufi"... that one has a bit of a reputation among AVGN viewers. It was featured in his video about Spielberg games. The cart with the horrible drawing of an alien slightly resembling E.T., holding a flag that says "ET go come". I picked that weird thing up on eBay for a Euro. It's not that bad, actually, but nothing to write home about either.

"Commando Raid"... well, that was my first venture into the shark basin called the High Score Club. I won't finish last place, which I count as a success :-).

• Like 1

NES

Rush'n Attack 20 minutes

Spelunker 15 minutes

Atari 5200

Megamania 30 minutes

Zone Ranger 15 minutes

Atari 2600

Epic Adventure 10 minutes

Boulderdash 10 minutes

Toyshop Trouble 10 minutes

Atari 7800

Super Circus 10 minutes

Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 2

Here are my times for this past week from March 18th through 24th...

Arcade:

Mr. Do's Wild Ride - 68 min. in 2 sessions

Atari 2600:

UT2600 - 1 min.

PC (non-eligible):

Diner Dash - 307 min. in 5 sessions

TI-99:

Mirror Maze: 22 min. in 2 sessions

This week I finished Diner Dash - again, because I already finished it once back in 2007.

Then I tried out UT2600, which is an Atari 2600 version of Unreal Tournament, but in a 2D view instead of 3D. It doesn't do too much yet, though.

Then I played Mirror Maze again, which has been upgraded to Version 2. What a difference! It now looks much more like Pac-Man than Version 1, and also there are multiple mazes, where the first one is roughly the one from the original Pac-Man, and the others are taken from Ms. Pac-Man. I reached the 3rd maze, so there are at least 3 different ones.

Finally, I tried "Mr. Do's Wild Ride". This is a game I haven't played for a long time yet. I've managed to reach Level 4, but each level is considerably harder than the one before, and they get hard quickly!

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 12, running from March 18-24. We logged 1956 minutes of eligible play, playing 37 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Warrior of Rome II (Genesis) - 920

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 218

3. Toki: Going Ape Spit (Genesis) - 110

4. Faxanadu (NES/Famicom) - 99

5. Mr. Do's Wild Ride (Arcade) - 68

6. Commando Raid (Atari 2600) - 50

7. Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 40

8. Dig Dug (Atari 5200) - 35

9. Megamania (Atari 5200) - 30

10. Donkey Kong Jr. (NES/Famicom) - 30

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 218

2. Mr. Do's Wild Ride (Arcade) - 68

3. Commando Raid (Atari 2600) - 50

4. Dig Dug (Atari 5200) - 35

5. Megamania (Atari 5200) - 30

6. Crossbow (Atari 2600) - 22

6. Mirror Maze (WIP) (TI-99) - 22

8. Astroblast (Atari 2600) - 20

9. Zone Ranger (Atari 5200) - 15

9. Pepper II (ColecoVision) - 15

9. Venture (ColecoVision) - 15

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1045)

2. Atari 2600 (382)

3. NES/Famicom (188)

4. Atari 5200 (80)

5. Arcade (68)

6. PC (Windows 95/98) (65)

7. ColecoVision (52)

8. Game Boy (40)

9. TI-99 (22)

10. Atari 7800 (10)

Julius Caesar, Act 3, Scene 1:

"Yet in the top 10 I do know but one

That unassailable holds on his rank,

Unshaked of motion. And that I am he

Let me a little show it even in this:

That I was constant Sega should be #1,

And constant do remain to keep it so."

(Based on the play by William Shakespeare, with additional dialogue by Sam Taylor.)

• Like 2

If I'm going to make a comeback here, I'm going to have to just post times every time I play a game rather than at the end of the week like I used to. I work 6 nights a week right now so my organization and actual time available to play is very different from the way it was in 2011-early 2012. There's no guarantee I can even post on Sundays.

Today I played

Genesis:

Sonic the Hedgehog - 45 minutes

• Like 2

This week, count me in for...

Game Boy Classic

Pac-in-Time: 6 min

Picked it up for a Euro. It sucks.

NES

Caveman Ninja: 12 min

Duck Tales: 15 min

Pinball: 3 min

The NES playtime was mostly devoted to joystick testing. I still haven't found any stick that gives me the control I'm used to from the good old Atari and C64 hardware. Starting to lose hope...

Atari 2600

Amidar: 10 min

Defender: 7 min

Dschungel Boy: 14 min

ET: 5 min

Frogger: 10 min

Galaxian: 6 min

Pitfall: 20 min

River Raid: 8 min

Spiderman: 8 min

Surround: 9 min

For shits and giggles, I did a direct comparison of Pitfall and it's half-assed clone, Dschungel Boy (also known as Tom Boy). While Pitfall was entertaining enough to at least sit through one 20-minute run, I got bored with Dschungel Boy quickly. It's too easy. In Pitfall, you need some precision at least to park yourself on the back of the crocs' heads. In Dschungel Boy, there's just totally not dangerous water lily pads. I can still recommend it for kids, though. To practice :-).

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week of March 25th through 31st...

Arcade:

Mr. Do's Wild Ride - 79 min.

Q*bert - 89 min. in 3 sessions

Atari 2600:

Pac-Man 8K - 12 min.

Popeye - 11 min.

SG-1000:

Q*bert - 19 min.

Since I had this work off from work, I had time to squeeze in some gaming. First I tried to finish Mr. Do's Wild Ride, but didn't make it, even using Statesave, which brought me to Level 5, but not farther than that. Then I watched a Youtube video of the game, and it seems to have 6 distinct levels, but it was clearly played with some sort of cheat where the main character is invincible at least to some of the obstacles.

My renewed interest in Q*bert comes from a new clone for the Creativision console being developed over at the CreativEmu forum, where I also was directed to the SG-1000 version of the game which I didn't know existed. That version, which was not done by Parker Brothers, is not as close to the arcade version containing the level patterns, music and colors, but still has the same enemies and same gameplay, and even a bit smoother animation than Parker's versions.

Then I played Pac-Man 8K which is a hack of the original Atari 2600 Pac-Man with more beautiful graphics, but still retaining the original maze structure. I actually played this because I tried to figure out what might be the "rooms" for an Unreal Tournament version of Pac-Man. In case you didn't know, there's a Unreal Tournament editor which lets you make your own levels, and it has a feature called "invisible doors" or something like that for minimizing the load on the graphics engine. If you're in a room and such a "door" is in view, the 3D structure of the "room" behind the door is calculated and displayed, otherwise it isn't. If the room behind the door contains further doors, the 3D structures behind them isn't displayed even if the doors are in view. So in order to have everything in view which is visible from a point, two doors should not face each other, or in other words, if you see through a door, you shouldn't ever have another door behind it in view, and the doors should be placed so that this is prevented. I now tried to place the "doors" in several Pac-Man mazes so that this restriction gets fulfilled. Here's a picture of a maze out of Ms. Pac-Man with the doors and rooms drawn in:post-8393-0-69067600-1364762442_thumb.png (The yellow lines are the doors, and the area with one color is one room. I've used each colors multiple times, however, to color non-adjacent rooms)

While I was at it, I took a quick game of Popeye on the Atari 2600, but as usual, I didn't make it to the end of the third level... in fact, I didn't even finish the second one.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

My times for the week:

Game Boy:

Qbillion - 170 min.

Genesis:

Aero the Acrobat - 3 min.

Pac-Attack - 107 min.

Warrior of Rome II - 411 min.

SNES:

Vortex - 11 min.

Still working on Warrior of Rome II, and now have 12/15 scenarios done. I had no idea it would be this time-consuming -- at this rate, I'm going to log more hours in it than any other single-player game I've played since I joined the tracker.

Since I had some traveling to do this week, I tried working on Qbillion again. Last year I'd solved all but 2 of the game's 120 puzzles, but #119 and #120 were absolutely brutal, and I threw in the towel for some months. I made some headway with #120, but I still don't know how to fully solve it -- I may have to tape myself playing it, or work out some kind of notation system, or something to make sense of what I'm doing (and avoid forgetting my strategies). If only the game had Catrap's infinite rewind mode!

I also played through about half of the Puzzle mode in Pac-Attack, a reasonably fun Tetris clone with nice music and graphics, and fiddled around with Vortex a bit. The latter's training mode has a pretty grim framerate that put me off when I first tried it a couple years ago, but the game's actual first level seems to play a bit better.

• Like 2