IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2013 (Season 6)

Diversity week for me this time, mostly because of the High Score Club and quite a few new pickups from the last flea markets.

Atari 2600

Bowling: 27 min

Donkey Kong: 32 min

Pac Man: 15 min

Star Raiders: 10 min

NES

RC Pro Am: 9 min

Tiny Toon Adventures: 18 min

C64

Battle Ships: 19 min

Mega Drive

Aladdin: 10 min

Game Boy Classic

Bart Simpson Escape from Camp Death: 8 min

Castlevania Adventure: 10 min

Quix: 4 min

Rescue of Princess Blobette: 5 min

Star Trek 25th anniversary: 17 min

Turtles II - Back from the Sewers: 10 min

Game Boy Color

Obelix: 8 min

Turok - Rage Wars: 7 min

PS1

Nuclear Strike: 10 min

Street Racer: 3 min

You know what? Pac Man on Atari 2600 is not as bad as it's cracked up to be. And I'm not just saying that because at the moment, I lead the HSC rankings for that game... :-D.

• Like 1

Colecovision

Mouse Trap - 20 minutes

Konami's Ping-Pong - 60 minutes

Steamroller - 60 minutes

Lock n Chase - 30 minutes

Golgo 13 - 30 minutes

Ninja Princess - 15 minutes

NES

Arkanoid - 60 minutes

Dreamcast

Sega Bass Fishing 2 - 625 minutes

Sega Marine Fishing - 75 minutes

Intellivision

Congo Bongo - 25 minutes

Here are my times for this past week (June 10th through 16th)...

Amiga:

Zoom - 226 min. in 3 sessions

Facebook:

My Cafe Katzenberger - 62 min. in 3 sessions

Online games (non-eligible):

Ace Gangster Taxi - 10 min.

Froyo Taxi - 24 min.

First I played some new online games in the vein of Sim Taxi. Ace Gangster Taxi is basically the same thing, only on a different map. Froyo Taxi is the same principle, but converted from 2D to 3D. But something went wrong with the physics which is much worse than in Crazy Taxi.

You can say the same about Zoom which I played after my Amiga 500 is finally working again. Zoom shows a grid in a perspective view which you have to fill (similar to Amidar), but your speed in relation to the 3D space is inconsistent, so that it takes you longer to move to the left and right of the grid than to traverse it to the top and bottom, even though the distance should be the same. The level patterns repeat after 15 levels, but the number of enemies increases, and the game gets pretty hard by then.

Finally, My Cafe Katzenberger is another restaurant simulator in the vein of Restaurant City or (to a lesser degree) Diner Dash.

• Like 1

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Centipede - 4 min.

Phoenix - 3 min.

RealSports Volleyball - 2 min.

Wabbit - 3 min.

ColecoVision:

Zaxxon - 5 min.

Commodore 64:

Centipede - 3 min.

Miner 2049er - 7 min.

NES:

Race America - 3 min.

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular - 2 min.

Genesis:

ATP Tour Championship Tennis - 146 min.

Boxing Legends of the Ring - 10 min.

Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball - 6 min.

SNES:

The Hunt for Red October - 63 min.

Sengoku Densyo - 9 min.

Super Bomberman Panic Bomber W - 25 min.

3DO:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties - 97 min.

Trip'd - 31 min.

PlayStation:

Big Strike Bowling - 18 min.

Casper: Friends Around the World - 2 min.

Crash Team Racing - 23 min.

Die Hard Trilogy - 4 min.

Flintstones' Bedrock Bowling - 46 min.

Gauntlet Legends - 77 min.

XS Junior League Dodgeball - 5 min.

Yes, my fiancée and I "beat" the "game" Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Actually, it was pretty entertaining in its bizarro badness! We also beat a few more levels in Gauntlet Legends, and played a number of other 2P games, including SNES enhancement chip game Super Bomberman Panic Bomber W (aka ...World), which was somewhat cryptic at first but seems first.

Playing on my own, I won the first two tournaments in ATP Tennis. In the second tournament, I won all but one of my matches 6-0 6-0 (the first one was 6-0 6-1). We'll see if the challenge level picks up. I also made it most of the way through The Hunt For Red October, which I'd never played before. Otherwise I tried out new acquisitions from my flea market trip yesterday, which netted me dozens of new games (some of them literally -- I picked up piles of sealed PlayStation games for a song).

Finally, My Cafe Katzenberger is another restaurant simulator in the vein of Restaurant City or (to a lesser degree) Diner Dash.

Katzenberger...? Really...? You're scraping the bottom of the barrel there, aren't you? :grin:

Yes, my fiancée and I "beat" the "game" Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Actually, it was pretty entertaining in its bizarro badness!

Never pass an AVGN "recommendation", hehe... Was it... um... inspiring for your fiancee and you?

Here's the summary for Week 24, running from June 10 - 16. We logged 2669 minutes of eligible play, playing 66 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sega Bass Fishing 2 (Dreamcast) - 625

2. Zoom (Amiga) - 226

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 226

4. ATP Tour Championship Tennis (Genesis) - 146

5. Atari Karts (Atari Jaguar) - 100

6. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (3DO) - 97

7. Age of the Empires (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 80

8. Gauntlet Legends (PlayStation) - 77

9. Sega Marine Fishing (Dreamcast) - 75

10. MechWarrior 3 (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 70

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 226

2. Konami's Ping-Pong/Billiards (ColecoVision) - 60

2. SteamRoller (ColecoVision) - 60

4. Dreadnaught Factor (Atari 5200) - 35

5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 32

6. Golgo 13 (ColecoVision) - 30

6. Lock N Chase (ColecoVision) - 30

8. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 27

9. Gorf (Atari 5200) - 25

9. Congo Bongo (Intellivision) - 25

Top 10 systems:

1. Dreamcast (700)

2. Atari 2600 (323)

3. Amiga (226)

4. ColecoVision (220)

5. PC (Windows 95/98) (190)

6. PlayStation (188)

7. Genesis (172)

8. 3DO (128)

9. Atari Jaguar (115)

10. SNES (97)

We've gone fishin' this week, as the Dreamcast takes the top spot with a duo of fishing titles at opposite ends of the top 10. Meanwhile, Zoom ties Kaboom!

• Like 2

Very little for me this week. Just some more attempts for the HSC:

Atari 2600:

Donkey Kong: 25 min

Pac Man: 95 min

Rolled Pac Man! Well not directly, but could have - had the foolproof pattern nailed down. It would have taken 4 hours of constant playing with not a second of rest to actually roll, and I'm too old for this shit :-).

• Like 1

Katzenberger...? Really...? You're scraping the bottom of the barrel there, aren't you? :grin:

Well, actually, the game is not that bad. It's just that I've played a variety of different social games before, so my patience on this isn't too great anymore, especially if the game is pretty repetitive.

Anyway... on to my times for this past week (June 17th through 23rd)...

Arcade:

Turtles - 25 min. in 2 sessions

And that's it... I didn't play any other games beside this. I had a date by the ophthalmologist who discovered some defect in my eyes and sent me to the hospital where they examined my eyes again (the final diagnosis is "Chorioretinopathia centralis serosa (CCS) os > od").

Then I helped a friend (whom I actually know from the TI-99 scene) with his band "Helmi's Nightmare". He entered the casting for the local talent show "Die große Chance" (The great chance) and got through to the first round which will be shown on TV, and now he needed truncated versions of his backing tracks. I'll probably support him in that round. In case you're curious, here's the song called "Menschenfresser" (Maneater) that we'll probably perform in the first round...

(Disclaimer: This video was created by WIENER KULT - please contact them for broadcast rights and a broadcast quality version in case you need one)

Finally, on Wednesday the power supply of my desktop PC broke, and I didn't manage to revive it yet, so I'm now typing this on my laptop which I normally don't use at home in order not to stress its battery too much. "Turtles" was actually a test how my laptop would handle MAME32, and it does just fine.

• Like 1

My times for the week:

Genesis:

ATP Tour Championship Tennis - 177 min.

3DO:

Escape from Monster Manor - 1054 min.

Peter Frankl: Tower of Puzzle - 216 min.

Trip'd - 26 min.

Escape from Monster Manor, on which I spent most of my gaming time this week, is basically a Wolfenstein 3-D clone with some original touches. I put a little time into it on Monday, a fair bit on Tuesday and Wednesday, and marathoned it to completion on Thursday.

I also would've beaten the bizarro puzzle/FMV game Peter Frankl: Tower of Puzzle, but got stuck on the last challenge and packed it in. Otherwise I played Trip'd with my fiancée, won a few more tournaments in ATP Tennis -- and despite my big numbers this week, I went on an out-of-state trip this weekend and didn't play a thing!

• Like 1

Colecovision

Frenzy - 25 minutes

Gulkave - 15 minutes

Konami's Ping-Pong - 25 minutes

NES

Dr. Mario - 40 minutes

I can not get into this game no matter how hard I try to enjoy it. I just find it monotonous and terrible. I gave up and watched some Highlander instead. No more Dr. Mario for me.

The Last of Us on PS3 kept me captivated this week. The in game statistics say I played the single player for over 18 hours! I guess that makes sense- I traded a couple nights of sleep for some playing time. I played the multiplayer a fair bit as well, so I probably got about a full day's worth of playing time in. What an incredible game!

I have six Colecovision home brews on the way right now. So, when I receive them, a Colecovision marathon will ensue. I can't wait!

Edited by WispFollower
  • Like 1

I had a date by the ophthalmologist who discovered some defect in my eyes and sent me to the hospital where they examined my eyes again (the final diagnosis is "Chorioretinopathia centralis serosa (CCS) os > od").

Sorry to hear that! It looks like the English-language name is "central serous retinopathy", and I'm glad to read that it's often temporary and can be treated. (I was worried that CCS was similar to macular degeneration.)

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 25, running from June 17 - 23. We logged 2346 minutes of eligible play, playing 22 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Escape from Monster Manor (3DO) - 1054

2. TOCA Touring Cars (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 220

3. Peter Frankl: Tower of Puzzle (3DO) - 216

4. ATP Tour Championship Tennis (Genesis) - 177

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 163

6. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 95

7. Gorf (Atari 5200) - 85

8. Pinball Fantasies (Atari Jaguar) - 45

9. Dr. Mario (NES/Famicom) - 40

10. Megamania (Atari 8-bit) - 35

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 163

2. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 95

3. Gorf (Atari 5200) - 85

4. Megamania (Atari 8-bit) - 35

5. Turtles (Arcade) - 25

5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 25

5. Frenzy (ColecoVision) - 25

5. Konami's Ping-Pong/Billiards (ColecoVision) - 25

9. Gulkave (ColecoVision) - 15

10. Dreadnaught Factor (Atari 5200) - 10

10. Galaxian (Atari 5200) - 10

Top 10 systems:

1. 3DO (1296)

2. Atari 2600 (283)

3. PC (Windows 95/98) (220)

4. Genesis (177)

5. Atari 5200 (105)

6. ColecoVision (65)

7. PC-FX (55)

8. Atari Jaguar (45)

9. NES/Famicom (40)

10. Atari 8-bit (35)

The 3DO: it may have only one controller port, but it still gets to be #1 this week! Meanwhile the PC-FX makes its first appearance on the charts.

• Like 2

Very little eligible playtime this week. Apart from a few little attempts for the High Score Club, I had no time...

Atari 2600:

Tunnel Runner - 40 min

A few hours did go into a newer point & click adventure: Jack Keane. It's not bad, but neither is it the supergreat game of 2007 critics were so ecstatic about.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (June 24th through 30th)...

Arcade:

Journey - 62 min.

Turtles - 64 min. in 3 sessions

Commodore 64:

Wizball - 281 min. in 9 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Charlie the duck - 17 min.

Some more gaming this week. I managed to finish Turtles again (getting through the roof), and then I tried some Journey Escape, where you have to play different minigames with the 5 Journey members while some of their tunes play. I could make out "Don't stop believing" and "Wheel in the sky".

Then I played some Wizball on the Commodore 64 after listening to a tape of hits by Jean Michel Jarre where his tune "Arpeggiator" sounds similar to the song that plays during Wizball's bonus stage.

Finally, Charlie the duck is a game I found when I tried to search for a game with ducks in it. Actually, it's similar to Super Mario Bros and Sonic the Hedgehog (which reminded me of the episode I just mentioned in another thread here). The game is only a 2-level demo, however, but it was just long enough to get into it. And it seems to be a reworked DOS game (don't know how to make a DOS game work on the web... emulation?)

• Like 1

My times for the week:

RCA Studio II:

Space Invaders - 2 min.

Space War - 2 min.

Intellivision:

Mars Minis (Caverns) - 2 min.

Genesis:

ATP Tour Championship Tennis - 600 min.

The Addams Family - 292 min.

Double Dragon - 27 min.

Made a big push to get to (what I thought would be) the end of ATP Tennis, only to discover that the game expects you to play three full seasons before giving you an ending. Technically you can sit out as many tournaments as you want, but you have to be at least #8 in the world to qualify for the year-end tournament, and I think the quality of your ending depends on that.

After winning all the tournaments and going undefeated in my first season, winning the first tournament of the second season, and then sitting everything else out, I got the second-best ending ("You've shown the skills that are necessary to be a champion. Keep practicing until you are the best!"). Based on some experimentation with the game ROM and a debug code in an emulator, I'm guessing it's the last season that really determines if you get a good ending.

So I put that on hold, and instead beat The Addams Family (and re-beat Double Dragon). Thoughts on those, and Escape from Monster Manor, here.

Otherwise I tried out the teaser for GroovyBee's upcoming Mars Minis minigame collection and -- since I recently unexpectedly received five CIB RCA Studio II cartridges -- fired up the system in MESS to try it out, though I only got it to work after struggling with it for half an hour. Many of the ROMs I tried don't seem to work properly, but at least two did.

• Like 1