IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2013 (Season 6)

Atari 2600

Gas Hog: 5 min

Gyruss: 87 min

Mouse Trap: 2 min

Night Driver: 2 min

Solar Fox: 55 min

Arcade

Galaga: 12 min (GBA Namco Museum cart)

Galaxian: 3 min (GBA Namco Museum cart)

Game Boy Classic

Bomberman GB: 35 min

Micro Machines: 4 min

Pokemon Trading Card Game: 5 min

Waverace: 10 min

Nintendo 64

1080°: 5 min

Diddy Kong Racing: 15 min

Nagano Winter Olympics '98: 4 min

Pokemon Stadium: 7 min

The New Tetris: 10 min

WWF Attitude: 4 min

Had great fun with last week's HSC game: Gyruss. Meditative shooter in the first few minutes, then it gets hard and fast. Also fun is Diddy Kong Racing for the N64. I further tested my new N64 and the carts I gathered. Played a few races against one of our interns in the museum. Nice game.

I also picked up the GBA cart with Final Fantasy I and II on it. Started playing FF I, already at over 4 hours. But I read on wikipedia that they changed the story a bit for the GBA version, so I assume it doesn't qualify here.

• Like 2

Late Sunday night addition, which is borderline whether it should count but I list it anyway:

Windows 95/98:

Worms 2 - 73 min.

This game is © 1997 and is stated to require at least a Pentium 75 to run, ideally a Pentium 133 to run. I think it would be quite sluggish on both.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (December 16th through 22nd):

Arcade:

Cavelon - 98 min. in 3 sessions

PC (non-eligible):

Build & Shoot - 117 min.

This week, I replayed Cavelon, but I still didn't complete it. Build & Shoot is a combination of Minecraft with FPS games, where you play in teams of up to 16 people each against each other, but the environment consists of cubes which can be mined and placed.

• Like 2

My times for the week:

Intellivision:
Frog Bog - 8 min.
Match 5 - 26 min.
Paddle Party - 34 min.
Thin Ice - 14 min.
Utopia - 19 min.
Genesis:
Barbarian - 2 min.
Battlemaster - 95 min.
HardBall '94 - 15 min.
Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama - 388 min.
Pocahontas - 23 min.
3DO:
Kingdom: The Far Reaches - 422 min.
Tower of Puzzle - 375 min.
Trip'd - 19 min.
Beat Kingdom: The Far Reaches, a Halcyon-to-3DO port of a 1980s FMV game, and goofy Genesis platformer Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama. Thoughts on those, and last week's Pocahontas victory, here.
I also put some time into 3DO puzzler Tower of Puzzle, aka Peter Frankl's Tower of Puzzle. I'd forgotten that it had a savegame function, so I was able to pick up exactly from where I left off some months back -- at the game's (apparently) final challenge, a pentomino puzzle. Unfortunately I was every bit as stuck upon my return, and ended up asking my fiancée to use a pentomino solver and tell me where to put the first few pieces. With that information, I was able to complete the puzzle -- only to discover that my victory only afforded me a Bachelor's degree, and I needed to beat the game twice more to complete it. Sigh.
By dint of sheer perseverance I finally got a little ways into Battlemaster, but I suspect my character and his nonexistent army are so weak that I'll need to start over. Not that I'm raring to do it, as so far, the game isn't much fun at all. A multiplayer option would've helped immeasurably.
Otherwise, my only other major gameplay session was busting out the Intellivision to try out new acquisitions Paddle Party and Match 5, and play a few fun 2P titles with my other half.
  • Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 51, running from December 16 - 22. We logged 2710 minutes of eligible play, playing 52 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kingdom: The Far Reaches (3DO) - 422

2. Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama (Genesis) - 388

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 375

3. Peter Frankl: Tower of Puzzle (3DO) - 375

5. Cavelon (Arcade) - 160

6. Battlemaster (Genesis) - 95

7. Gyruss (Atari 2600) - 87

8. Worms 2 (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 73

9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 55

10. Shanghai (Atari Lynx) - 50

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 375

2. Cavelon (Arcade) - 160

3. Gyruss (Atari 2600) - 87

4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 55

5. World Games (C64) - 40

6. Paddle Party (Intellivision) - 34

7. Toyshop Trouble (Atari 2600) - 30

8. Match 5 (Intellivision) - 26

9. Endless Snow (Atari 2600) - 20

9. Koffi: Yellow Copter (Atari 5200) - 20

9. Failsafe (Atari 7800) - 20

9. Frenzy/Berzerk (Atari 7800) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. 3DO (816)

2. Atari 2600 (576)

3. Genesis (523)

4. Arcade (175)

5. NES/Famicom (152)

6. Intellivision (101)

7. PC (Windows 95/98) (73)

8. Atari 7800 (70)

9. Game Boy (54)

10. Atari Lynx (50)

Healing the blind? Controlling the tides? Getting shooed away by grumpy lumberjacks? All in a day's work for the protagonist of Kingdom: The Far Reaches, our #1 game this week, which leads the 3DO to a rare appearance at the top of the system charts.

Meanwhile, the search string "K*om" also takes the pre-NES charts, as our only member of the 100000-minute club continues through the Galactic Barrier into unknown territories.

• Like 3

I can't believe you all keep tracking all time spent with every game! :-o

If I would join this thread, the max I could do is track max score or, maybe, how many tries for each game.

Keeping that way I would say something like:

Gyruss 2600: 862700 points - around 20 tries?

Keystone Kappers 2600: 1 million - 2 tries

Christmas Carol -Intellivision:17,723 - one game per day.

Scramble - 7800: 56,970 - around 5 tries

Is that allowed? :-D

• Like 2

Is that allowed? :-D

Of course it is allowed, but it doesn't count here, hehe.

We do, however, accept estimated gameplay times. If you're not sure, you can make a serious guess. The Keystone Kapers rollage alone should have taken at least 2 hours, right?

I always wondered what would happen to the statistics if all HSC players chipped in their gameplay times. My own times are relatively low, as you can see - compared to what some HSC players spend. You're most welcome to join us here and post your times. ;)

• Like 2

Then I should mark time on the clock.

I am, possibly, the worst man to keep traking of time when I am playing video games! I really lose control of time, only the inside game timing and the fatigue of long game sessions. :)

It's easy to look at the clock when you start and finish, and write down the times.

When I get a long game of Kaboom! going I lose track of time too but always look at the clock when I'm finished.

• Like 2

Are you going to extend this week until December 31st or how are you going to end this year?

Good question! Since it's just two days, I'd say yeah, let's do an extended 9-day week.

I am, possibly, the worst man to keep traking of time when I am playing video games! I really lose control of time, only the inside game timing and the fatigue of long game sessions. :)

Heh. :D I usually write down the time I started on a piece of scrap paper, since I have a hard time judging time without it -- especially shorter game sessions, oddly enough.

Anyway, you're welcome to estimate, and if you're unsure I'd aim low rather than high. In the past, when people have omitted times, the default assumption has been 5 minutes.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (December 23rd through 29th). I'll post the times for December 30th and 31st in another post...

Arcade:

Bank Panic - 33 min.

Devil Fish - 197 min. in 4 sessions

Atari 2600:

Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom - 144 min.

Nuts - 9 min.

Panda Chase - 3 min.

Ski Hunt - 7 min.

Ski Run - 7 min.

UT2600 - 5 min.

X-Mission - 7 min.

Westward Ho - 1 min.

Facebook (non-eligible):

Cityville - 10 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Downhill Skiing - 10 min.

PC (non-eligible):

Zaxxon (Retro Remake) - 27 min.

Total gaming time: 460 minutes

I had plenty of gaming time this week because I'm off from work until January 6th. Since it's Winter now, I played some skiing games... Downhill Skiing, Ski Hunt and Ski Run. Actually, all Atari 2600 games except for "Buck Rogers" and "UT2600" are modified versions that have been adapted to run on NTSC while they were designed for PAL originally.

In Bank Panic, I reached the score where you get the first extra life (70000 points). In Devil Fish, I completed the first round (of four levels). Cityville was only played because my aunt requested me to plant 5 strawberry fields so that she can get some goods everytime she visits my city. Westward Ho was only played for a minute because I couldn't quite figure out what to do. Finally, Zaxxon is a remake of the arcade original on the PC which is pretty faithful, but souped up with better sound, higher resolution graphics and smoother animation. I do think it's actually harder than the original, though I didn't play the original version to compare.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

My times for the week, though given the extended week, I'll post again with any gameplay on Monday/Tuesday:

Mac OS Classic:
Kingdom II: Shadoan - 513 min.
Genesis:
Fatal Rewind - 164 min.
The Killing Game Show (JPN) - 199 min.
Marsupilami - 17 min.
Rampart - 53 min.
3DO:
Tower of Puzzle (JPN) - 171 min.
Beat 3DO brainteaser Tower of Puzzle early in the week, completing all three degree courses, and overcoming a nasty bug in a couple puzzles that made the game reject valid solutions.
Then over the weekend, my other half and I beat the Mac OS version of Kingdom II: Shadoan, the sequel to Kingdom: The Far Reaches, which we beat on 3DO a couple weeks back. We had to set up a venerable old PowerBook 1400cs to get the game to work properly, and then overcome another nasty bug that made the easier difficulty impossible to win. But we defeated it on the harder (Wizard) difficulty!
Otherwise I mainly worked on the brutally difficult Genesis action-puzzle-platformer Fatal Rewind. For practice purposes I eventually switched over to the Japanese version, The Killing Game Show, which offers unlimited continues.
  • Like 2

Hardly worth mentioning this week:

Atari 2600: Keystone Kapers: 17 minutes.

Too much family visiting during this time of the year. I did play some hours of Final Fantasy 2 on my Gameboy Advance, but that version is post-2000. I expect a bit more playtime next week, though. The medal bracket challenge starts in the 2600 HSC. Looks like I'm gonna end up in the top 10 for the season. Good example for how one can end up pretty high in rankings with constant participation - my scores were usually rather mediocre :-). I'll play in the Silver Medal Bracket. Looking forward to the K.O. matches.

• Like 2

Hardly worth mentioning this week:

Atari 2600: Keystone Kapers: 17 minutes.

Too much family visiting during this time of the year. I did play some hours of Final Fantasy 2 on my Gameboy Advance, but that version is post-2000. I expect a bit more playtime next week, though. The medal bracket challenge starts in the 2600 HSC. Looks like I'm gonna end up in the top 10 for the season. Good example for how one can end up pretty high in rankings with constant participation - my scores were usually rather mediocre :-). I'll play in the Silver Medal Bracket. Looking forward to the K.O. matches.

Good luck in the medal bracket.

• Like 1

My times for the past week:

Atari 8-bit:
M.U.L.E. - 70 min.
Strip Black Jack - 18 min.
Strip Poker - 30 min.

COMX-35:
Burger Time - 10 min.
Donkey The Kong - 2 min.
Eet en Wurm - 14 min.

Famicom:
Hyper Sports - 16 min.
Tetris (Tengen/Mirrorsoft) - 20 min.

VIC-20:
Arcadia - 7 min.
Avenger - 15 min.
Gridder - 19 min.

Windows 95/98:
Worms 2 - 88 min.

The COMX-35 is a rather obscure, or rare if you want, home computer designed in Hong Kong and mainly sold in the Netherlands, although it was introduced on other markets. It is known for having a very slow BASIC and also other technical limitations, although it seems a little more capable than what often cited specs would suggest. The games I've downloaded from the COMX Club however are mediocre at best. The Donkey Kong game doesn't let you run and jump, however you can jump and then move sideways. You get zero points for each barrel you clear, I suppose points are only awarded when you clear a level. The Burger Time clone completely eliminates enemies, instead it uses different platform layouts (holes in the middle of the platform) to make the game more difficult. The fact that the bonus timer runs 20 times faster when you stand still than when you move along also means keep moving as long as there is something to stand on. Oh well, at least my computer works, now back with it into its box and styrofoam, after all perhaps it is better as a collectable than gaming system...

• Like 2