IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.46 with Toolkit

trub

Falling in love with SpartaDos X. But not feeling the fact that everything in the toolkit is arc'ed. "So, then just unarc the stuff", right? I would if I could get "arc x *.arc" to work as it does on every other platform known to man. It doesn't. It unarc's the first arc file that meets the wildcard requirements. *.arc picks up only the first arc'ed file. d*.arc picks up only the first arc'ed file that starts with d. You get the idea. Is this just me not knowing how to do something in SDX or is the wildcard parser in this arc utility broken/badly designed?

The original ARC, at least the port for BSD, does not work the way you describe: you cannot unpack "everything" with "arc x *" or "arc x *.arc". That's quite logical, because ARC does not know anything about subdirectories, so it would have to unpack all archives to the same directory, which would create file conflicts etc.

I prefer the toolkit ARC-ed because if anything bad happens with the archive files, it will immediately be known due to CRC errors being reported during unpacking. It is also much easier to maintain in this form: the Toolkit holds 50 files, 44 of them being ARC archives, each one containing several on its own; when unpacked, each archive would have to be replaced with a separate subdirectory to avoid file conflicts.

To facilitate unpacking, do this:

1) first, copy all the Toolkit directory tree to the hard drive, for example, disk E: (or 5: or D5: whatever you prefer): COPY /R A:> E:>TOOLKIT> (the E:>TOOLKIT> directory must exist beforehand)

2) now, find the X.BAT file there, it is in BAT> subdirectory of the toolkit disk.

3) copy it into the directory where you keep external commands (any one indicated in $PATH).

X.BAT allows you to unpack ARC archives to separate directories. For example, there is a FOO.ARC in the current directory: when you type "-X FOO" at the command prompt, the archive should get unpacked into FOO> (provided such a directory did not exist at the time you execute the command, or you'll be warned otherwise and nothing will be done). After reviewing the files you can decide whether to delete them or to keep them.

X.BAT does not work iteratively, though, so you still can't unpack everything with one "-X *".

It was once planned to make a tool or BAT command(s) which would allow to execute all other DOS commands recursively on directory trees, but that has not been done (yet).

Edited by drac030

What does that mean? What exactly do I need to do? Packed BIOS I recognize from the workbook builder, but sign32crc?

Maybe this isn't what I was looking for after all. Can't SDX simply boot from the cart via the OS the same way it does on every other cart?

Edited by flashjazzcat

Falling in love with SpartaDos X. But not feeling the fact that everything in the toolkit is arc'ed.

Here's an unarced .ATR of the toolkit (v 4.46) and here's the link for IZARC, an easy to use archive utility to unarc your arced Atari files on the PC.

I know this subject was discussed before but I still think that DLT should also supply an unarced version of the toolkit.

SDX 4.46 Toolkit (unarced).zip

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

The workbook requires that a "packed rom" must be check-summed and a multiplication of 32k.

4 byte check-sum.

Program attached.

Not sure, but the workbook only accepts 32k and 128k "packed roms", that was until 4.8.04

What the atarimax-menu does:

The menu sets the last flash-bank in $A000 and JMP COLDSV

Using the ATARIMAX fat32-loader gives much more flexibility.

When you load a 64k ROM image, D8:SRAMDISK will be correctly setup to 448k.

Loading only ASSEMBLER of 8k gives you 504k of SRAMDISK :)

Maybe this isn't what I was looking for after all. Can't SDX simply boot from the cart via the OS the same way it does on every other cart?

Because SDX446 for MyIDE-][ is designed to run from protected SRAM and thus uses bank-switching schemes to address SRAM banks not FLASH.

Perhaps the SDX-guys can build one for you then runs from FLASH-banks.

BUT you loose the workbook ability, since SDX wants run from bank #0 and upwards.

I get that running SDX from flash with MyIDE-II defeats a great many excellent benefits of the device, but to be honest, I find myself starting my machine and immediately loading SDX from FAT32 99.9% of the time. I'm inclined to buy a second MyIDE-II so I can still play with around with the functionality I will lose by dedicating my first MyIDE-II to SDX and APT hard disk partitioning, but having a device dedicated to conveniently doing just those two (2) things well is important enough to me to sacrifice all the other functionality.

Edited by pixelmischief

Here it is team, a Maxflash Cartridge Studio WorkBook that essentially turns your MyIDE-II into a SpartaDOS X cartridge with hard disk support. You'll still need FDISK on a floppy to prep your CF card. All of the materials and knowledge needed to build this came from this thread and the absolute mental monsters who helped me stumble like a baby giraffe through making it.

Mr. Atari

FJC

Frankie

Rdea

AtariWarez

Drac030

It's always the same (brilliant) names. You know who you are.

MyIDE-II - Dedicated SDX Flash Programmer.zip

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 2

By the way, dedicating your MyIDE-II to SDX - or anything else for that matter - is only worth it if you reboot a lot and the extra 5 seconds you ALWAYS spend loading SDX from the cart becomes a nuisance. You can have SDX from cart flash AND other workbook items as well. Just add both of the items in the attached zip to your workbook and select the bootloader when you want to start SDX from flash. Also, be advised that Mr. Atari recommends there are real benefits to loading SDX from FAT32. So unless you are an obsessed compartmentalist (like me), it would be best to use SDX from cart flash as a disk prep tool (kinda like the MyDOS panic loader that already comes with the release workbook), but load SDX from FAT32 under normal operations.

MyIDE-II - SDX From Cart Flash WorkBook Items.zip

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 1

FJC: Any way you think your FDISK'er could get down to 8K? Do you think that a command line version could get that small? Or perhaps break it into a couple of files, one EXE an one loadable resource? If it's written in BASIC or C, and you're too busy to address it, care to let me take a crack at squeezing a command line version out of it?

Ah... I should have put the soldering iron down and caught up on this thread before answering my PMs. ;) FDISK comes in two versions: the SDX-only version, and the EXE version which is compatible with any DOS (including SDX).

The SDX version has always been 8KB long, precisely because it was included on the SDX build for the SIDE cart. FDISK.COM, HDDLIB.DLL and UILIB.DLL are all on the CAR: device. The program's split into modules because of the 8KB CAR limitation.

I'll endeavour to get cohesive download pages on my website for the most recent versions of this stuff over the weekend.

Hopefully the 8KB CAR limitation will be removed soon, however, because I'm tired of maintaining two versions of FDISK (they've been in development since 2010), and in any case I simply don't have time to incorporate the rewrites I'm planning (mainly for FAT support and UI improvements) into two distinct versions of the application.

Here it is team, a Maxflash Cartridge Studio WorkBook that essentially turns your MyIDE-II into a SpartaDOS X cartridge with hard disk support.

Excellent - thank you! This is what I was asking for from day one, but was beyond my capabilities. Just personal preference - but the workbook ability, etc, is an irrelevance to me. Hopefully this just makes MYIDE2 into another SDX cart with integral hard disk, accessed through the MYIDE2.SYS driver.

Edited by flashjazzcat

FJC: Any way you think your FDISK'er could get down to 8K? Do you think that a command line version could get that small? Or perhaps break it into a couple of files, one EXE an one loadable resource? If it's written in BASIC or C, and you're too busy to address it, care to let me take a crack at squeezing a command line version out of it?

He is a assembler guy pixel, but who knows you may get lucky :-)

Edited by atari8warez

This is what I was asking for from day one, but was beyond my capabilities.

Your humility is as ridiculous as it is obviously sincere. All I did was scrape together advice and resources from various places, including YOURSELF! I am certain that you, as the developer of "Last Word" and the GUI project, might have been able to pull it off. Maybe. =)

But, if I have given back to you in any way at all, I have done a good thing. =). Now tell me where the hell I can get the version of FDISK that can be written to CAR:!

Edited by pixelmischief

REQUEST TO REQUISITE DEVELOPERS:

SpartaDOS X:

- 128K version of SDX for MyIDE-II that has the MYIDE2.SYS and FDISK in CAR:

- ability to put files bigger than 8K in CAR:

FJC:

- command line FDISK at or under 8K

MyIDE-II and/or MaxFlash Cartridge Studio 2.0:

- remove 128K limit on ability to assign "packed bios" image to a workbook slot (need 256K)

New FDISK and disk utils ATR attached. These were TYPE'ed out of CAR: from the SIDE version of SDX onto a floppy image using Altirra. You can "slip stream" these into the 256K version of the MyIDE-II version of SDX.

Nevermind, it's attached as well.

Can't assign this to a workbook slot for use with the boot loader because of a 128K limitation on "packed bios" assignment. Not sure if this is a MyIDE-II thing or a MaxFlash Cart Studio thing.

SDX446_MYIDEII_256K_HDUTILS.zip

FDISK.zip

Wow, been 1 day on family-visit :)

I have my TOOLDISK on a APT partition.

Beside that I have MyBIOS as OS in my 800xl/256k.

And some MyBIOS-partitions in SDX format with different CONFIG/AUTOEXEC, all drive-number-disabled .

If I want to use SDX, I boot with START+SELECT+OPTION, select the SDX-bootpartition ESC/Y

SHIFT (to enter the cartridge menu) select FAT32-loader and then the 256k version of SDX446.

Takes, say what, 15 seconds?

Very useful to have this flexible setup and I do not mind the time.

I use SDX let say 5% of my sessions.

For your WORKBOOK-request, you should contact Steve Tucker on atarimax.com

Nice work you did on the SDX research and implementation!

Later

Sijmen.

No longer available. but he has this, Isn't this the same guy who was banned from AA (Fernando Marin) and was accused of making bootleg copies of carts.

yeah i believe so. If you look at his feedback, you'll see that he pretty much has been doing copies of the same thing. Pity making money off of other peoples contributions.