IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.46 with Toolkit

trub

Works just fine here..... although to find that out i had to flash my U1MB to SDX 4.46.

After the flash few things started to go nuts and I was a bit worried. Turns out, I had to leave the 130XE OFF for a few minutes after the flash. Whew!!!..... Atari means excitement all the time.... :)

OK thanks for checking My print driver must not be the correct one...

I'll work on it to see if I can get it working better..

using the rom generator, upgraded the ultimate 1mb with the sdx 4.46 rom

now selecting spartados x brings the blue screen but no text :?

since i can not load spartados, can't reflash the ultimate again either....

Maybe you used the Ultimate V1 ROM instead of V2 or vice versa ?

I just upgraded my 800xl with U1MB using The ROM Generator to add the SDX4.46 ROM and flashed it without a problem...

Jay

I also noticed a strange issue with U1mb Rom generator. If I use rom file from SDX 4.46 and if i load it in the Rom generator, the flasher will do its job correctly without any errors, but after a restart I still have SDX in version 4.45a. However, the atr image with flasher for Ultimate from the SDX 4.46 release works fine.

I also noticed a strange issue with U1mb Rom generator. If I use rom file from SDX 4.46 and if i load it in the Rom generator, the flasher will do its job correctly without any errors, but after a restart I still have SDX in version 4.45a. However, the atr image with flasher for Ultimate from the SDX 4.46 release works fine.

Looks like DLT and Jad have a new flasher in the Ultimate Atr. I'll check and see if this will flash a 512k image...

Edit: I've updated The ROM Generator with the latest Ultimate Flasher and flashed my 130xe without any problems, (just like the 800xl)...

Edited by AtariGeezer

Still haven't had time to flash SDX 4.46 yet, but it strikes me that we should be able to have "external" FAT12 / FAT16 partitions referenced inside the APT segment of a hard disk. This would allow CF cards, etc, with - say - FAT16 + APT to have the FAT partitions mounted and accessed via the PBI as regular volumes using the new SDX FAT driver.

All that's required is a little tweak to FDISK... at least, that's the plan. :)

• Like 3

It works. :)

Here's a zipped image for a 1GB CF card, for use with any APT device (SIDE, U1MB/SIDE, Incognito, IDE Plus with APT, etc):

http://atari8.co.uk/downloads/CF_APT_With_FAT16.zip

There's a FAT16 partition and an APT segment, containing two Atari partitions. Partition 1 (C:) is SDX formatted. Partition 2 (D:) is an external partition entry (hacked using a hex editor for now) which points back to the MS-DOS FAT16 partition.

If you install the FATFS.SYS driver and type DIR D: at the prompt, you should (eventually) get a list of the contents of the latest IDE Plus 2.0 BIOS archive in the FAT16 partition.

Best to make a custom CONFIG.SYS on C: with DEVICE FATFS and place the driver there too. (Note the driver's on the SDX support disk). Unfortunately I did neither of these things before imaging the card. ;)

The first DIR on the FAT partition is VERY slow, even at PBI transfer rates. I've read the readme describing some of the performance issues, but I'm not sure what the driver's doing while it's thrashing around. Subsequent access is pretty instantaneous, so presumably something's being cached in extended RAM for some reason.

The first DIR on the FAT partition is VERY slow, even at PBI transfer rates. I've read the readme describing some of the performance issues, but I'm not sure what the driver's doing while it's thrashing around.

It is scanning the FAT to obtain the initial number of free clusters.

(Probably flawed) mental arithmetic suggests the FAT for a 32MB (FAT16) partition will consume 256 quad density sectors, or 128KB. Presumably cluster size is currently limited to one sector (hence the 32MB limit), so at least the FAT scanning won't ever take longer to process, even if the clusters get bigger. Bigger clusters would mean a smaller FAT for the same sized partition, however, which would introduce other trade-offs in performance. In short, it's rather unfortunate the free sector count isn't recorded in the boot sector of FAT disks.

The FAT on a 360/720KB disk will obviously be many magnitudes smaller than that on a 32MB HDD partition (about 3 sectors for FAT12 on a 360KB quad density disk?), so yes - it would be considerably faster to process, despite the bit-packing overhead. Of course, unless our floppy disk is PBI, some of the speed advantage is lost.

Yeah - that's what I was trying to say: that it's the 1:1 cluster size limiting the partition size (since the 16-bit sector numbers are a hard-limit at the moment). :) Presumably larger clusters aren't supported in the driver yet (I wouldn't expect it at this stage)?

Anyway - the drivers are really excellent, and open up many interesting storage and data transfer possibilities. Thanks for this.

I'll start a separate thread for APT driver updates and utilities, but in the meantime here's a video of an ATR disk image on the same CF card I imaged in post #34 being mounted and run with U1MB / SIDE. The ATR files are all in the "external" FAT16 partition, the directory of which is seen here being listed via the SDX FAT16 driver (sequence shortened for brevity), before the NUMEN.ATR is mounted and booted via the MATR utility.

Forthcoming versions of all the APT drivers / PBI BIOSes which previously supported FAT32 now support FAT16 as well (as do the attendant APT tools such as MATR) in order to provide maximum functionality when used in conjunction with the SDX FAT16 driver.

It works. :)

Here's a zipped image for a 1GB CF card, for use with any APT device (SIDE, U1MB/SIDE, Incognito, IDE Plus with APT, etc):

http://atari8.co.uk/..._With_FAT16.zip

There's a FAT16 partition and an APT segment, containing two Atari partitions. Partition 1 (C:) is SDX formatted. Partition 2 (D:) is an external partition entry (hacked using a hex editor for now) which points back to the MS-DOS FAT16 partition.

Best to make a custom CONFIG.SYS on C: with DEVICE FATFS and place the driver there too. (Note the driver's on the SDX support disk). Unfortunately I did neither of these things before imaging the card. ;)

Did you redo your zip file yet so it has the "custom CONFIG.SYS on C: with DEVICE FATFS and place the driver there too"?

Thanks.