IGNORED

Difficult games

shadow460

I find Donkey Kong Country 2 to be difficult. it just drives me insane after dying like 3 times at the boss, and before you can save you have to go through another 2 levels, and if you die again, you're sent back 2 levels before that boss you beat D:

The Simpsons Barts Nightmare on SNES

Batman on NES

Vortex on SNES

Castlevania 1 and 3 on NES

and so many more.

• Like 1

I find Donkey Kong Country 2 to be difficult. it just drives me insane after dying like 3 times at the boss, and before you can save you have to go through another 2 levels, and if you die again, you're sent back 2 levels before that boss you beat D:

DKC2 does get hard near the end. "Screech's Sprint" in particular drove me mad.

DKC3 is even harder. I gave up when I got to the level with the lightning strikes.

I like difficult games, but the old Psygnosis games were so insanely difficult. Specifically, the Shadow Of The Beast series and Baal. I distinctly remember snapping the joystick off a controller over an especially poor game of Baal.

NetHack and Moria also come to mind.

• 2 months later...

This can real boil down to an interesting debate on what 'difficult' actually means in gaming these days. Legitimate difficulty versus cheap difficulty, pattern recognition versus randomisation, reflexes versus precision.

Difficulty is a subjective term and can mean different things to different people. A prime example being Demon's Souls which was mentioned earlier, regarded by many upon its release as an almost impossibly difficult game. However, upon playing it myself and finding the game remarkably easy to get through (I only had problems with the lightning knight, the dragon on the battlements in Baletoria castle and the cliffs in world 4), I realised that it wasn't 'difficult' rather you just have to take your time and be smart about combat in the game. Defend, parry and move according to the situation, and never ever run 'Leeroy Jenkins' style into any room. I believe anyone who found it exceedingly difficult was usually trying to rush through most situations. On the flipside, I find Dark Souls incredibly difficult by comparison as the game seems to be based a lot more on quick reflexes compared to the first game, and I couldn't handle situations the same way in the new game.

With older games quite often the difficulty was what I tend to call 'illegitimate' difficulty, either by enforcing ridiculously low amounts of lives and health, or many deaths being caused by glitches or situations you just cannot see coming until you already know about them. Some games had severe balance issues with difficulty too, such as Astyanax which in general is an extremely easy and short game, but the hitboxes on enemies and their attacks just don't make sense a lot of the time (see Stage 4-1 for the best example of this). Other games were also cursed with 'schizophrenic' difficulty too, like the Megaman series where the first game was completely up and down with its curve, 2 was way too easy even on 'Difficult', 3 is MUCH harder until Wily who is just a pushover, and then 4 finally found an almost perfect balance and then it just went all crazy from there again. Then some games were just RUTHLESS unless you knew exactly what to do, like Baal or Shadow of the Beast.

This is all just how these games were for me however, and some people can have completely different experiences just based on how they play games.