IGNORED

1200XL Keyboard Help

Frankie

When I first tested the keyboard after I received the 1200 most of the keys didn't work. Just a couple after your pressed them a few times.

I read through this page - http://www.retrobits.../keyboard.shtml but I'm not sure how I should proceed.

I removed the keyboard and when I press the membrane all the keys work. I didn't know if I should still attempt at peeling it back and looking at the traces.

It's almost like the springs in the keyboard itself are too weak.

Can anyone recommend my next step?

Frank

The 1200XL keyboard has one particular failure mode: The plastic contact sheet has a row of contacts that are pressed against the circuit board when the unit is assembled. Eventually, this part of the sheet fails and must be repaired with some sort of conductive paint. They did this to avoid having to make a plug-in connector for the sheet.

A bad 1200XL keyboard almost always requires you to 'peel' the mylar off the PCB. Some people have reported good results with clamping the 'connector' (the interface to the PCB from the mylar) in place and just cleaning the contact surface of the PCB with alcohol. Whatever...

Regardless, it is a matter of contact resistance either at the keypad or the connector, or both. You do not need stronger springs.

Bob

This is what I did:

http://www.atariage....y/#entry2662913

I was very careful removing the mylar/silicone. I went real slow and didn't rush. It took a while but I was able to separate the membrane from the circuit board. Once it was apart, I cleaned the contacts and redrew the traces with the CircuitWriter pen.

Works like new.

:)

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256