IGNORED

Do Case Mods Have Value?

I've been trying to score some spare systems for the consoles I use most, and I've seen a lot of stupid shit. One thing I see a lot of are people trying to sell painted consoles, unsuccessfully. It doesn't surprise me that they don't move, because to me, painting a console is a sign that someone has messed with it, and there's no guarantee they knew what they were doing. OTOH, a good case mod is nice to see, but would you buy someone elses?

What do you think of cosmetic mods... would you pay extra for them?

I think a well-maintained original console is the most valuable. I've also seen some WTF paints and cuts that in my opinion removed almost all value from the console. On the other hand, I've seen some really nice mods, like a Mario cut into a NES console. It was obvious time and planning had been involved and the case was very nice looking. I modded a 2600 Heavy Sixer by stripping the wood grain and bezel paint, and it is now all black and beautiful. Something I wouldn't have done, except the wood grain was badly faded and scratched, and in that type of case, I don't think there's any way to restore wood grain. In that instance, I think I actually increased it's value.

My summation, if you're going to cosmetically mod, have a good reason, or at least a good artistic idea, plan appropriately, and take the time to do it right. Don't just toss a can of spray paint at it and expect it to be called it a masterpiece.

• Like 2