Greg2600

The lost Gremlins Atari arcade game.

Funny you should mention this... Atari made the Atari XL, and C-64 versions of Robotron (through Atarisoft), and they also put out a Gremlins game for those machines which I'm pretty sure is based on the codebase of the Robotron ports, since both use a heavy amount of soft sprites, and both display the scoring in a similar way.

Just compare those two screenshots (for the C-64 version):

attachicon.gifrobotron_2084_03.gif attachicon.gifgrem1.gif

I had that Gremlins game for my Apple 2c. Loved it. A great game. Great gameplay. Cool graphics. Similar in a way to Robotron but different enough.

Looks completely different from the 5200 version. Somewhat reminds me of 720 and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Looks like it may have been designed for a special controller, telling from that flashlight screen.

This game is really neat. Judging by the gameplay video, it seems to exist both intact and playable. I assume there is a lucky owner of at least one functioning Gremlins proto Arcade board, yet undumped? I hope it gets released eventually to the community, some how, some way :)