IGNORED

Carol vs. The World! - Official Winners

DZ-Jay

The tournament is over and we have reviewed carefully all entries. It is now time to announce the final results of the championship, so that the winners may bask in eternal retro-gaming glory and start preparing a spot on their shelves (or kitchen cabinet) for their trophy.

On behalf of Left Turn Only Productions, the Intellivision® High Score Club, and myself, I'd like to thank all who participated for their enthusiasm and camaraderie. I'd also like to congratulate everyone for their magnificent achievements; some of you took the game to extremes and earned some unbelievable scores.

And so, without further preamble, we present to you the official winners of...

Christmas Carol vs. The World!

1. Top Ranking Elf: WispFollower

Wisp practiced all month to achieve not only the highest score, but a fantastic and insanely high score! Although not the first one to do so, he managed to roll-over the score display and activate the color-coding feature that lay dormant and unused until then.

WispFollower
will be awarded the coveted personalized
Special Edition
of the
Christmas Carol
game. Moreover, for beating the additional
Master Challenge
, he will also be awarded a personalized commemorative mug.

High Score:

Highest Level Played:

Highest Rank Achieved:
Grand Elf Master

post-27318-0-95011800-1357396090_thumb.png

2. Master Challenge:

Eight participants rose to the secondary
Master Challenge
and thus will also be awarded a personalized commemorative mug. These represent the most trusted, resourceful, and admired elves among the ranks of
Santa's Elite Elf Squad
  • Grand Elf Master WispFollower
  • Grand Elf Master Liduario
  • Grand Elf Master Oscar G.
  • Grand Elf Master Jesus
  • Grand Elf Master 1980gamer
  • Master Elf Scalpel
  • Grand Elf Master Arquillos
  • Grand Elf Master Cparsley

(Please note that the
Master Challenge
was an additional contest offered as a secondary challenge, so its award is in addition to any other prize earned for the
CvW Championship
.)

3. Top 10 Elite Elves:

Out of all of Santa's helpers, we single out the
Top Ten Elite
for special recognition. This tight group of enterprising elves changed constantly over the course of the tournament, with newer rookies displacing old veterans at times. The final list below earns a commemorative patch of the tournament for their remarkable achievement.
  • Grand Elf Master Liduario
  • Grand Elf Master Oscar G.
  • Grand Elf Master Jesus
  • Grand Elf Master 1980gamer
  • Master Elf Scalpel
  • Grand Elf Master Arquillos
  • Ranger Elf Fushek
  • Ranger Elf JacobZu7zu7
  • Ranger Elf Karima K.
  • Ranger Elf JasonlikesINTV

All contestants and their final scores are in permanent display on the Carol vs. The World! Championship Official Leaderboard page. Visit the leaderboard and marvel at the remarkable accomplishments of all of Santa's Helpers.

Once again, on behalf of all the championship organizers, I'd like to thank everybody who participated for making this contest a wonderful success.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 5

Dz,

Thanks again for hosting this and creating a great game. I'm looking forward to setting my patch next to my special edition with pride!

Thanks, but I must say it was truly my pleasure. The entire event was lots of fun, and I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere of camaraderie and friendly competition. Even though it was a contest, people shared strategies and tips with each other, and enjoyed themselves.

I would not mind in the least hosting another one of these in the future. ;)

-dZ.

I received the personalized mugs today from the branding company! I'll be shipping these along with the other prizes this week. :)

Thank you all for your patience and your wonderful support. I'll post some pictures later today.

Congratulations again to WispFollower and the rest of the elves!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat belated, but here's a picture. All prizes, except for Wispfollower's, have been shipped already, so expect them soon. Development of Wisp's bespoke Special Edition game is complete, and it will go into manufacturing very soon. I'll post lots of details on it once it's ready.

Cheers!

-dZ.

WispFollower's CvW Winner mug:

post-27318-0-89200200-1359379385_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the delays and the silence on the topic, and I wanted to give everyone an update on the situation.

All prizes have been sent as of the middle of January. If you are one of the winners and haven't received your package yet, please contact me immediately to resolve this.

All prizes, that is, except the Grand Prize. Development for the custom game was completed by the end of January. I am just waiting for LTO to manufacture the cartridge and packaging so that it can be delivered to WispFollower, our admired winner. There have been some delays due to Left Turn Only HQ's relocation, and other pressing matters, but it is underway.

Wisp and I had a very interesting conversation regarding the design of his game, and we came up with lots of cool ideas for the special edition. It seems he had been thinking about it for a while. I was very impressed and thrilled with his suggestions--so much so that I decided to include them ALL!

(Fortunately for Liduario, his exploding Jack-in-the-box idea was not usurped, so it's still ripe and ready to be included in a possibly upcoming sequel.)

Once the game is ready and delivered, and WispFollower has had a chance to experience it first, I will then post lots and lots of details on its development, including game-play and animation sequence videos.

While only Wisp will get to play it first hand, everyone will get a glimpse of (and a chance to lust after) this extra special and unique prize.

Congratulations once again to WispFollower, the Grand Elf Masters, and all the participants of the Carol vs. The World! Championship--you are all winners!

dZ.

• Like 5

Thank you very much Dz-Jay! :thumbsup:

This is a great and happy Intellivision day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just received the Mug, stickers, certificate, buttons and pencils! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :grin:

Buttons and pencils?! Yes, customs decided to free my brotherhood buttons sent by Rev when they saw my Christmas Carol's Elf Merit Certificate. They arrived together.

Thank you very much Dz-Jay! :thumbsup:

This is a great and happy Intellivision day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just received the Mug, stickers, certificate, buttons and pencils! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :grin:

Buttons and pencils?! Yes, customs decided to free my brotherhood buttons sent by Rev when they saw my Christmas Carol's Elf Merit Certificate. They arrived together.

LOL! That's Santa's influence on the World. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

dZ.. I enjoyed the contest so much, and I know you started with a pacman game.

I created a demo game Mirror Man, a new twist on pacman.

TRON inspired... What happens when pac man goes through the tunnel?

Well, It all seems so easy from the other side of the screen...

For me, Pac Man wraps around the screen and plays from the backside of the maze.

The dots are imbedded into the playfield, You must eat both sides of the maze, the power pellets only have power on the frontside of the maze.

On the back of the maze, left/right control is reversed. Because I am nice, I give 2 sets of control. like Auto Racing!

Keys for realistic control are E,S,D,X AND directional control I,J,K,M .

You can check this out in the TI99/4a programming section. " A new twist on pacman".

I started as simple demo... but it morphed into an actual game.

Maybe with some graphical changes, it could be a different enough game for you to consider for the Intellivision! ???

Gene

dZ.. I enjoyed the contest so much, and I know you started with a pacman game.

I created a demo game Mirror Man, a new twist on pacman.

TRON inspired... What happens when pac man goes through the tunnel?

Well, It all seems so easy from the other side of the screen...

For me, Pac Man wraps around the screen and plays from the backside of the maze.

The dots are imbedded into the playfield, You must eat both sides of the maze, the power pellets only have power on the frontside of the maze.

On the back of the maze, left/right control is reversed. Because I am nice, I give 2 sets of control. like Auto Racing!

Keys for realistic control are E,S,D,X AND directional control I,J,K,M .

You can check this out in the TI99/4a programming section. " A new twist on pacman".

I started as simple demo... but it morphed into an actual game.

Maybe with some graphical changes, it could be a different enough game for you to consider for the Intellivision! ???

Gene

I recall reading your other thread on this. I must admit that the concept of the "secret lives" of arcade characters behind the scenes, fascinates me; which is why I love TRON and Wreck-It Ralph.

However, I feel life is too short to spend on other people's ideas, and want to dedicate to wholly original games. (And by "other people's," I'm referring to Namco's Pac-Man characters, not your concept.)

I love Pac-Man, and understanding its internal workings was a life-long desire of mine, and pursing that allowed me to reach where I am now: making my own games. Now it's time to channel my own creative works, good or bad.

That's not to say that I wouldn't love to take your concept and run with it. It just means that I don't wish it to be Pac-Man--and it shouldn't have to be, really.

Consider this, one of the things I liked most about Wreck-It Ralph is that, for all the classic character cameos, the story was still about the "behind-the-scenes" lives of completely new characters with a completely made up game and backstory. Yet, it still worked--much better than had they just decided to make the game about, say, DK Mario's life or something like that.

I believe that with a good concept and solid story, we can do that too. :)

I really want to check out your game. Is there an emulator for the TI99?

dZ.

Hi dZ This link has a few emulators for the TI99/4A

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153704-ti-994a-development-resources/

I use CLASSIC99 and Win99/4A.

Classic is easier to use. You can just drop the .DSK file into one of the DSK folders.

Select the Extended Basic cart.

Then start the TI. Press any key , Then press 2 for extended Basic.

From the prompt, OLD DSK(1,2,3) the folder you dropped my file into. OLD DSK2.VER2-C for example

The latest post has the latest version. But you could look at early versions to see how much it morphed..

From a DEMO/Proof of concept into Pacman. I actually liked the BLOCK graphics from the early stages.

But as I continued on, I looked at the Atarisoft version and I figured I would do the REAL ARCADE maze!

Now I have added 2 more mazes based on Ms. Pacman but with the side doors at the same location.

If you have Emu ?'s or TI usage ?'s let me know.

Believe it or not... I have not seen RALPH yet! It is on my list, but I may just buy the BLU-RAY at this point.

Is the 3D worth it? Or should I just get the 2D version?

Can't wait for Carol 2. or whatever you come up with next!

1980gamer

Hi dZ This link has a few emulators for the TI99/4A

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153704-ti-994a-development-resources/

I use CLASSIC99 and Win99/4A.

Classic is easier to use. You can just drop the .DSK file into one of the DSK folders.

Select the Extended Basic cart.

Then start the TI. Press any key , Then press 2 for extended Basic.

From the prompt, OLD DSK(1,2,3) the folder you dropped my file into. OLD DSK2.VER2-C for example

The latest post has the latest version. But you could look at early versions to see how much it morphed..

From a DEMO/Proof of concept into Pacman. I actually liked the BLOCK graphics from the early stages.

But as I continued on, I looked at the Atarisoft version and I figured I would do the REAL ARCADE maze!

Now I have added 2 more mazes based on Ms. Pacman but with the side doors at the same location.

If you have Emu ?'s or TI usage ?'s let me know.

Believe it or not... I have not seen RALPH yet! It is on my list, but I may just buy the BLU-RAY at this point.

Is the 3D worth it? Or should I just get the 2D version?

Can't wait for Carol 2. or whatever you come up with next!

1980gamer

Thanks for that, I'll get on it.

About the movie, I didn't see it in 3D, so I don't know what it could add. 2D was perfectly enjoyable. :)

dZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Great work, Liduario!

On a side note, I'm still waiting on LTO to manufacture the CvW Special Edition, and then I'll make a big announcement of the cool stuff designed especially for the winner, WispFollower.

So, stay tuned...

-dZ.

• Like 1