IGNORED

How to install TurboForth & the blocks disk

hloberg

This is a some of a message stream I just had with Willsy on installing TurboForth.

Hope it helps if some one has a problem. From what I have seen it's a worthy product to program in.

Installing the 'turboforth' cart in classic99:

To run it, start classic99, and from the menu, select Cartridge --> User --> Open

Then navigate to the MODS folder in your classic99 installation, then select TurboForthC.bin

Then you're ready to rock. The blocks disk will boot from DSK1 when you select TF from the TI-99/4A selection screen.

Just for your reference, you can bypass the auto-boot by holding down enter after selecting TurboForth from the cart selection screen.

My note: you can also install the turboforthC.bin and turboforthd.bin in the MODS folder then modify the classic99.ini so that the new version of turboforth will then show up in the user carts area on the menu.

installing the BLOCKS disk.

Firstly (I didn't make it clear in my post above) you don't need to process the blocks file in any way with TI99DIR or any some such program, it's ready to go - just drag it out of the zip file and drop it into the DSK1 folder.

Unfortunately, what I didn't mention (sorry) is that the file is in V9T9 format. I put it in this format as V9T9 format is recognized by a lot of other emulators such as V9T9, PC99 and TI994W.

So, you need to click on the Disk menu option in Classic99, and from the DSK1 menu, select the menu option .\DSK1\

Then, make sure your emulated DSK1 'drive' is configured as per the following configuration:

msg-24932-0-02478400-1357403050_thumb.png

my note: It's a FIAD file. I made the dumb (on my part) assumption that it was a .dsk image file and kept trying to read it as such. Also, be sure to check 'recognizes v9t9 headers'.

His website is turboforth.net If he doesn't already, he said he have all the latest files up shortly.

This is well worth a look. If you have done any programming in the latest generation languages like Java this should be an easy pick up. The stack might be the only thing a little odd, but if you have done assembler, you should be familiar with the concept.

Unfortunately, what I didn't mention (sorry) is that the file is in V9T9 format. I put it in this format as V9T9 format is recognized by a lot of other emulators such as V9T9, PC99 and TI994W.

A small point. PC99 does not recognize V9T9 format but a PC99 disk file can be converted to V9T9 format by using TI99DIR.