IGNORED

Fixing E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

recompile

• 4 weeks later...

This fixed version includes:

(1) Pit / Feet Fix - You can continue pushing UP while exiting a pit without falling back in.

(2) All Neocomputer fixes from 2013, BUT with the default / Color mode with ORIGINAL difficulty and energy scoring (i.e., energy reduced for walking, running, or hovering, and leftover energy added to score at the end of a round), and B&W mode with their easier difficulty (energy) option.

(3) Ninja ET only with 3 candies given to Elliot, and 3 held by ET at the end of a round.

E.T._CompletelyFixed_Final.bin

(1) Pit / Feet Fix - You can continue pushing UP while exiting a pit without falling back in.

(2) All Neocomputer fixes from 2013, BUT with the default / Color mode with ORIGINAL difficulty and energy scoring (i.e., energy reduced for walking, running, or hovering, and leftover energy added to score at the end of a round), and B&W mode with their easier difficulty (energy) option.

(3) Ninja ET only with 3 candies given to Elliot, and 3 held by ET at the end of a round.

attachicon.gifE.T._CompletelyFixed_Final.bin

Did you fix this bug?

Here is an animated GIF showing both getting stuck until E.T. moves:

attachicon.gifet_hack_fbi_scientist_stuck_33fps_03.gif

EDIT

No, I just tested and bug remains.

Did you fix this bug?

EDIT

Philsan...I am aware of this. It doesn't happen in the original game...but was an inadvertent result of the great work from the Neocomputer fixes. It happens when ET is anywhere from the center to the left side of the screen...I haven't seen it happen anywhere from the center to the right side.

Personally, it doesn't bother me much, as taking a few steps is all it takes to get the character unstuck. But I must admit that I am slightly curious as to which specific change (from the Neocomputer fixes) inadvertently caused this. Regardless, it may be worth the "trade off" for all the excellent fixes they did (e.g., ability to safely exit forest from right, or exit city from left, without falling in a pit...only falling in pits when ET's feet touch a pit, as opposed to any part of his body). If I find out, though, I will post.

Edited by froggeret
  • Like 1

Did you fix this bug?

EDIT

Philsan...I am pleased to present my new E.T. Completely Fixed version, which now includes a fix for the bug that you have highlighted. Through some testing, I discovered that one small portion of the Falling Fix (done by Neocomputer in 2013) was inadvertently causing this. I WAS able to retain the excellent Falling Fix done by Neocomputer, AND fix the bug, simply by changing the value of 0BF8 from ADC 07 to ADC 06 (i.e., 69 07 to 69 06). I tested the game, and all seems to be working well.

and JUST ADDED...

(4) Character Freeze / Bug Fix - No longer will ET have to move in order to unfreeze a character that is "stuck" to him.

Please use this version instead of the one from my previous post.

E.T._CompletelyFixed_Version2_Final.bin

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Philsan...I am pleased to present my new E.T. Completely Fixed version, which now includes a fix for the bug that you have highlighted. Through some testing, I discovered that one small portion of the Falling Fix (done by Neocomputer in 2013) was inadvertently causing this. I WAS able to retain the excellent Falling Fix done by Neocomputer, AND fix the bug, simply by changing the value of 0BF8 from ADC 07 to ADC 06 (i.e., 69 07 to 69 06). I tested the game, and all seems to be working well.

and JUST ADDED...

(4) Character Freeze / Bug Fix - No longer will ET have to move in order to unfreeze a character that is "stuck" to him.

Thank you very much, bug finally fixed!

One year ago I copied Recompile's fixes into E.T. PAL50 version.

Thanks to froggeret, who fixed the bug in Recompile's NTSC version (and made some adjustments - see post #130), I removed the bug from my last year's PAL50 version:

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (2013 fixed version by Recompile - 2018 bug fixed by froggeret - copied for PAL by Philsan) (PAL50).bin

• Like 3

and JUST ADDED...

One year ago I copied Recompile's fixes into E.T. PAL50 version.

Thanks to froggeret, who fixed the bug in Recompile's NTSC version (and made some adjustments - see post #130), I removed the bug from my last year's PAL50 version:

attachicon.gifE.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (2013 fixed version by Recompile - 2018 bug fixed by froggeret - copied for PAL by Philsan) (PAL50).bin

It so exciting these games that were the "bad games" can be fixed today! Thank you!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I want to first say that I really appreciate all the work done here; I have fond childhood memories of this game, and a deep appreciation of it as an adult. 

I'm curious about something; I recently used screenshots (distorted to a 1:1 perspective) to create a 3D cubic world map for my daughter, and I've been studying it a bit. I can't help wondering if the city screen (bottom face) should perhaps have it's orientation flipped. 

As it is, the front face (the one with pits like these: <  >) connects to the bottom edges of both the forest and the city. This *sort of* makes it seem like the front face could be a bottom face (likewise, the rear face *might* seem like a top face). With the bottom face flipped, this is no longer the case, and the changes to the side faces' connections to the city don't make them seem too much less like side faces.

If I had a clue about programming/coding I would try to reverse the connections to/from the city screen just to see if it feels more natural. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe there is no right or wrong here, but it got me wondering. Thanks for any thoughts/insight.

Greg