IGNORED

NES Controller Repair Kits - Worth It?

I've been looking to bring new life into my NES controllers, and it seems like I see these kits all over the place. They always use the same photos, be it on eBay, Amazon, or smalltime retailers... so assuming they're all coming from the same source, are they any good? And is the result a "like new" controller, or a "better than nothing" controller?

I've not used these, but remember well the Doc's Fix a Pad kits from the 80's that were similar. Those were excellent, especially if you had torn rubber button membranes.

Cheaper solution I have found that actually works well for torn membranes in controllers is superglue, applied sparingly to the tear. Try it and you will not be disappointed.

I've not used these, but remember well the Doc's Fix a Pad kits from the 80's that were similar. Those were excellent, especially if you had torn rubber button membranes.

Cheaper solution I have found that actually works well for torn membranes in controllers is superglue, applied sparingly to the tear. Try it and you will not be disappointed.

Yup, I've done the superglue thing as well. Actually I just thought of it on my own after I got my NES last month, since I didn't want to spend any more money on it, and it worked a lot better than I expected.

I haven't had much luck with those. Not sure if there are multiple manufacturers, but I picked up an NES and a SNES one that were pictured very similarly and they were mushier than the worn out rubber they replaced. No 'pop' to them at all when pressed.

I suppose if you do it to controllers where the rubber has totally stopped working it would be an improvement, but it's not so good for fixing squishy (but otherwise functional) buttons.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I'd like to say the fix em' kits are worthwhile but I can't...the original feel is lost (that 'pop' previously mentioned) and without that, you might as well keep playing your old worn out pads.

I just try to find new old stock online. Someday, somebody is going to come up with a better solution...why is it that Best Electronics came up with a better, longer lasting redesign for the VCS sticks, yet nobody else has done this for the NES pads? I can at least hope!

• Like 1

Ok, maybe not outright 'breakage', but 'worn out'. The rubber bits on the inside get squishy and the controllers lose that new feeling, that 'snap'. You know it when you play it. You can't get that feelin' back from cleaning em' up, you have to (usually) replace the rubber parts inside. That's what we're talking about....but in retrospect, since any 'newish' controller is better than none, I guess these sets are indeed worth it...considering what it would cost to get the official Nintendo refurbish kits on ebay.