IGNORED

Defective game?

boxes of sawdust

For Christmas I got an unopened CIB copy of Defender. Today I finally got around to playing some Atari and couldn't get the damn thing to start up properly! I began to worry that something was wrong w/ my console so I tried some other carts but they worked just fine. I can't believe an unused brand new game won't work but I have no problems w/ my beat up old copy of centipede that looks like a dog played w/ it. Could this have come defective from the factory 30 years ago? Anyone ever hear of that happening before...or perhaps have some tips on how I might get it working?

+1 for cleaning the cart.

Even though it was new, that just means the contacts have been sitting untouched for ~30 years! There could be light corosion on the contacts from just sitting exposed to air. This would usually be kept cleaner by actual play of the cart -the action of inserting the cart, and then removing, can somewhat keep the contacts of the cart clean by an abrading action with the contacts in the cartridge slot on the console.

Sounds like the copy of Defender II / Stargate that I picked up a while back. New sealed copy, with some fading caused by sunlight (I assume). The game only half-worked; it had bizarre gameplay quirks. But it's entirely possible for a sealed game to be defective, especially after 30 years.