IGNORED

made some progress on Keyboard Component repair + questions

y-bot

I acquired Keyboard Component #400357 from the estate of David P. Chandler "Papa Intellivision" at PRGE last year. It only displayed a black screen even after cleaning all the connectors. Today I opened up logic board shielding, removed and reseated every socketed chip. I broke the leg off of one chip but repaired it and the small auxilary board has what looks like burns marks on one of the sockets. The chip is not burned though so maybe it has already been replaced. I checked the continuity on all the legs of that chip. I also checked the +5V, +12V and -5V and all seem to be within spec. After reseating all the chips it is alive! The screen is freaking out a bit although sometimes it stays solid for 30 seconds or more. The commands work and I am able to pop open the cassette door. When I go in to cartridge mode it works perfectly, no screen problems at all. I tried my BASIC cart but plugged in to either port in the back it on displays a black screen. Anyone have any ideas? I have the little RF adapter thing and I know itis grounded to the logic board enclosure. How critical are those connections? What is that auxilary board?

Link to the service manual:

http://papaintellivi...docKeyboard.php

Anyone have Frank Palazzolo's contact info?

Here are some pics and videos:

th_IMG_1377.jpg

th_IMG_1376.jpg

th_IMG_1374.jpg

th_IMG_1373.jpg

th_IMG_1372.jpg

th_IMG_1371.jpg

th_IMG_1370.jpg

th_IMG_1369.jpg

th_IMG_1368.jpg

th_IMG_1367.jpg

• Like 2

y-bot, sorry to say that the KC is no good and must be disposed of in an eco-friendly way. I will do that for you at no cost and will even pay for the postage to send it to me. ;)

Now on a more serious note, wtg on getting some life out of it! You have a challenge there, so well done so far....

I can't help, but thanks for sharing your experience and pics....it will be interesting to see how you progress, so keep posting!

I'm sure that, as you say, the chip that fits in the burnt socket has been replaced...any component causing that sort of damage would have blown a hole in itself.

Hello y-bot,

I was going to hold off on announcing it for a little bit, but, as you are attempting to get your Keyboard Component 100% functional, I thought I would let you know that I also own a Keyboard Component. Congratulations on your acquisition of the late Mr. Chandler's KC. KC's are considered by many to be the "holy grails" of classic videogame/computer consoles. As yours was owned by "Papa Intellivision" himself, one could say that you now possess the "holy of holies".

As we are such a small community, we should definitely try to help each other out! Right off the bat, I believe that I can help you with two of the points you mentioned:

1) Your "freaking out" screen: the original video chip in my KC behaved very similarly. A replacement chip was ordered and the replacement works perfectly. Thus, I would suggest that you attempt to obtain a replacement video chip. We can talk about this further via private email, if you like.

2) Your BASIC cart: I do not have the BASIC cart myself. The rear connector ports on my KC are in very good condition, thus I would suggest that you send me the BASIC cart so that I could test it myself. Or of course, if you can get in touch with Frank P. or another KC owner, they could test it instead. I realize that the BASIC cart is a very rare and valuable item, and not the sort of thing that you just "send off" to someone that you don't know. I would suggest that we discuss this privately, as well.

I will send you a private message here with my personal e-mail addy. I will also see if I can get in touch with Frank P. and let him know about this discussion thread.

Welcome to "the club"!

- Doug

• Like 1

Hi - It's been a long time since I thought aboout this stuff - but I hope I can help a bit. Unfortunately I don't own a KC, although I would like to get one eventually.

Screen "freaking out": The white text which is generated by the CRT controller chip (The big one with the heatsink) is overlayed on the video signal coming from the game console. There is an adjustment pot somewhere - which might be tweaked. Unfortunately, I can't remember where it is on the board, but it's near an 8-pin Phase-Locked Loop chip, maybe a 565? I do remember though that Doug needed a new CRT controller chip to fix the problem - if the chip is bad it can freak out as the chip gets hotter. I used some cold spray to verify this. The chip is documented here: http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=TMS9927_CRT_Controller I may still have some - I think I bought more than one. I'll see if I can find them.

The little board: I'm fairly certain that I didn't have that board in the 3 consoles I've seen on the inside...not sure what it could be for. I wish I had a console here, I could see what it is near.

BASIC cart: Yes, it's possible the cart is bad, or the connection. It would be useful to make sure you have a known good basic cart. The basic actually runs on the 6502. I have an image of an intellivision cart I wrote, which loads code into the 6502 and let's you debug on that CPU. Not sure if that would helps or not - I had put it onto a modified intellicart.

Hope this helps!

-Frank P.

P.S. Joe Z might also have something more to add...if he sees this thread...

Frank, I met you briefly at the last CGE. My name is Toby and I was helping to test out that KC my friend Rick was selling that the tape got stuck in. Thanks for the help guys! I have another dead Keyboard Component so I may swap that CRT controller chip. Unfortunately it displays only a blank screen like this one did. I don't think I've had the logic board out so I don't know if it has that auxiliary board or not. I guess my next step is to tear that one apart.

Had some more time tonight so I tok apart the other KC I have. I think I may have reseated the chips before but I did it again today. No change, that one still displays a blank screen. Interesting thing is that the logic board is completely different. One is computer II and the other is computer III. The CRT controller chip appeared to be the same (the heatsink is covering the markings) so I swapped them. No change in behavior but with either chip the working KC display is fine for 30 seconds ore more when the machine is cold and then slowly starts freaking out. I don't have any of that cold spray stuff but it seems like some chio is malfunctioning when it gets warm. I cleaned the connectors on the back and my BASIC cart and now it works, woohoo! More pics:

th_IMG_1390.jpg

th_IMG_1388.jpg

th_IMG_1387.jpg

th_IMG_1386.jpg

th_IMG_1385.jpg

th_IMG_1384.jpg

th_IMG_1383.jpg

th_IMG_1382.jpg

th_IMG_1381.jpg

th_IMG_1380.jpg

th_IMG_1379.jpg

Small update. I used the freon from a can of compressed air to cool the chip and it did indeed make it work correctly. I used a heat gun to get the heat sink off and it is a CRT-5037, not exactly the same one I thought it would be. Ordered on off Ebay, fingers crossed that it fixes the problem.