IGNORED

How is the roller controller intended to act?

highinfidelity

Good morning fellows.

I tried for the forst time a roller controller with Centipede yesterday and, although it works to some extent, I'm not persuaded that it works as it should.

First of all, to move the "shooting head" from one side to the other of the screen, several full rolls of the sphere are required. is that it? I've always thought that the control was much more sensible than that and that the screen could be crossed with - say - half roll of the sphere. If the latter is correct, is there anything inside that I can clean to improve the effectiveness of the control?

Also, there is a slider on top which reads "joystick-roller". It acts so counter-intuitively that I completely falied to understand its purpose: if set on "joystick", the roller moves the characters on the screen to some extent; if set on "roller" everything gets frozen. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Any clue, please? Is it broken perhaps?

I didn't check the roller controller for a long time.

But if i remember well , when you put "Joystick" it means that the roller act like a Joystick. That means you can play game that are not supposed to work with a roller controller . The roller controller "emulate" the joystick.

If you choose "Roller" , the game must be specifically programmed to support the roller controller. (i'm not sure it is the case of centipede , that would explain it works only in joystick mode , try a game like Slither instead and put "rolller" mode )

I'd open up the case and oil the rollers. Clean the grime off the rollers. Then get some 3-in-One oil and use a drop on each roller. It should spin like new.

It's possible that the controller may still not work properly in trackball mode. You'd need a trackball-enabled game like Slither or Victory to test properly. Yurkie suggests one swift spin in any "diagonal" direction (e.g. NW, NE, SW, SE); the avatar should move that direction no problem if the optical sensors are working properly. Remember, this is only for the trackball mode, not joystick mode.

What's odd and a bit disappointing is that Turbo's steering works in reverse with the roller controller. That, and it's not sensitive enough. You have to totally Golden Tee toss it to steer.

Well thats because it was designed to work with the steering wheel not the roller controller. If someone adjusted turbo to work with the hand controllers then maybe on that version the roller controller would work better.

The two games that were made specifically for use with the Roller Controller are (switch set to Roller):

:arrow: Slither

:arrow: Victory

One other game is recommended by Coleco to use the Roller Controller (switch set to Roller), but can be played with standard controllers:

:arrow: Omega Race

The two games that benefit the most from using the Roller Controller in "Joystick Mode" (switch set to Joystick) are:

:arrow: Centipede

:arrow: WarGames

You will have to test out other games in "Joystick Mode" to see what works best for you.

Youki is correct in that NewColeco/Daniel Bienvenu released a hacked version of Turbo that uses the standard hand controller for gameplay and this would be the version that you would want to play with the Roller Controller in "Joystick Mode". Haven't tried it, so no idea on how well it would work.

Would love to see Wild Western or Robotron developed for the CV and then use both controllers that are mounted in the Roller Controller in "Joystick Mode" for gameplay.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comprehensive list. I actually thought to have more options than those. Only two and a half original games natively designed for the roller? :?

How comes that nobody ever developed a Missile Command for Colecovision? I wonder how the 2600 version plays through the 2600 expansion module. :ponder:

Would love to see Wild Western or Robotron developed for the CV and then use both controllers that are mounted in the Roller Controller in "Joystick Mode" for gameplay.

I add Battlezone to this list :thumbsup:

Edited by highinfidelity

How comes that nobody ever developed a Missile Command for Colecovision? I wonder how the 2600 version plays through the 2600 expansion module. :ponder:

As was stated earlier in this thread, Armaggedon supports the Roller Controller. And it happens to be a clone of Missile Command.