IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Computer Gaming Survey 2013

Gaming Survey Atari 8-bit Computers Only  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play A8 games?

• Frequently/Regularly/Weekly
    • Occasionally/Monthly
    • Rarely/Never
  2. 2. Will you be playing in the *High Score Club* this season?

• Yes/Regularly/Probably
    • Might occasionally join in/could be tempted
    • No (if you'd like to say why that's good too!)
  3. 3. Are you a Cartridge only player?

4. 4. Do you use a Joystick?

• Yes
    • No (if you want help setting one up to work with an emulator please post)
  5. 5. Do you have Paddles?

6. 6. Which games do you prefer?

• A variety of games old and new
    • The old classics only
    • Newer games only
  7. 7. Do you use a NTSC (North America) or PAL (Europe) Atari?

8. 8. Which System do you play on?

• 400/800 48K
    • 800 XL/XE range/Emulation

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Instead of my usual sending emails nagging everyone to join in the High Score Club I thought a survey of who is playing Atari 8-bit computer games would be a better way to generate some interest :-o

The 10th season of the High Score Club starts in a couple of weeks here on atariage. It's fun and it's free and everyone is welcome to play, however good (or not so good) you are ;)

Please complete the survey and post any comments, questions or suggestions for changes [cue tumble weed roll by] :grin:

need a "both" option for the NTSC/PAL and 400/800/xl/emulation question.

I really promise to do at least one round this year :ponder:

Oh, and I prefer to play Mostly the classics, but a new game once in a while is cool

Edited by mimo

Play at least 1 game; hey mimo that's a commitment :D

Stupid Question but can we use an NTSC machine in the UK then, at NTSC speed? What would be involved (apart from changing the national power grid over) ?

Forgot to say in the HSC we usually play 1 game over a two week period spanning 3 weekends. For the new season I am going to award NTSC players an extra point per round to compensate for the games (often) being more difficult. Occasionally I try a game n NTSC under emulation and it's quite staggering how much zippier it is. Some games benefit from being more slick.

Yes NTSC users are missing out on the fantastic (and much underrated) Gremlin Graphics' Zone X - I'd consider this one of the best A8 games (someone should convert it!). Also Electraglide which is pretty good with practice you can finish most of the stages :)

Keep the votes (and replies) coming :thumbsup: I'm particularly interested in thoughts from people who play on the A8 regularly but not in the HSC - you don't have to be good we have all levels of player ;)

Stupid Question but can we use an NTSC machine in the UK then, at NTSC speed? What would be involved (apart from changing the national power grid over) ?

I live in the uk and use a monitor that switches between 50/60hz for a 800 machine that is NTSC. The PSU is a UK version - 50hz 240V one and since all psu's go to low voltage DC by the time the A8 see's it, this has no problems powerwise.

Ebay has ones usually for £10 + £10 postage often - as they are CRT they aren't in demand the same.

I wont even bother with French Secam models even if they are cheap - too much problems with doing this i think!

Edited by Magic Knight

No question for me as I only own PAL 800s. Somebody want to swap a PAL 800 for a NTSC 800?

ahem, me.

I only own one NTSC 800. But I use it nearly never as I am in PAL country (you know ;-)). Could you bring it saturday to our meeting? Maybe we could swap...

I live in the uk and use a monitor that switches between 50/60hz for a 800 machine that is NTSC. The PSU is a UK version - 50hz 240V one and since all psu's go to low voltage DC by the time the A8 see's it, this has no problems powerwise.

Ebay has ones usually for £10 + £10 postage often - as they are CRT they aren't in demand the same.

I wont even bother with French Secam models even if they are cheap - too much problems with doing this i think!

agreed, it depends on your TVs ability to cope with an NTSC signal. I use a 1990s Sony trinitron 14" CRT at the moment. It does a great job of NTSC via composite A/V,

most modern TVs will handle secam no problem. My 19" LCD will also handle the funny pal systems from the other side of English channel

most modern TVs will handle secam no problem. My 19" LCD will also handle the funny pal systems from the other side of English channel

Interesting as i understood 800XL with the basic C and Freddie were perhaps Secam only(?) - opens my scope for getting one from the French side of Atari for the latest 800XL

Pal B i understand as just tuning the tv on different frequency on the 'ye olde tuner' on the older tv's!

Interesting as i understood 800XL with the basic C and Freddie were perhaps Secam only(?) - opens my scope for getting one from the French side of Atari for the latest 800XL

I have a UK purchased PAL 800XL with Rev C & Freddie in my collection :)

need a "both" option for the NTSC/PAL and 400/800/xl/emulation question.

I really promise to do at least one round this year :ponder:

Oh, and I prefer to play Mostly the classics, but a new game once in a while is cool

Agreed

There's always 1 person breaking the much planned survey :D If you have the luxury if multiple systems just vote for the one you prefer/normally use for gaming... but what if... ;)

Been meaning to do this for years. Thought you had to play from the first round. Didn't know you could just play a round or two.

Sure we have people appearing (occasionally) and disappearing (more usually) and the hard core 10ish players who stick around to earn their valuable certificates! It's like rounding up mules; I corall them at the start of a season and they then sneak of to see the colony fair, go tap-dancing, betting on the kazinga races etc... ok too much M.U.L.E. but seriously, even if you only have a few games put them on the play list (when I've started it) and join in whenever you can :)

OK not sure what to pick for the last question: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/206906-64k-400-upgrade/

that's my mod, and my 400 has it. so should I pick XL/XE? :) I remember having a similar problem last season I think, saying I had a 48K 400. I think we need this divided into two questions: amount of RAM and Atari model. I guess the RAM choices would be pretty plentiful though, because of all the choices for an 800. 8k, 16k, 24k, 32k, 40k, 48k, 64k, 128k, 192k, 320k, 576k, 1mb.

Sure we have people appearing (occasionally) and disappearing (more usually) and the hard core 10ish players who stick around to earn their valuable certificates! It's like rounding up mules; I corall them at the start of a season and they then sneak of to see the colony fair, go tap-dancing, betting on the kazinga races etc... ok too much M.U.L.E. but seriously, even if you only have a few games put them on the play list (when I've started it) and join in whenever you can :)

Nice. I'll definitely have to get one of my XLs set up for this. My stupidly high competitiveness is going to go loopy. No idea which of my games are working. I guess I'll have to make time to go through them (sadly, I no longer have a copy of Dropzone :( )

Do you have a way to verify scores or do you just take the honesty of those involved?

@Tickled_Pink: That's great :thumbsup: I created and ATR with the new NTSC and PAL Dropzones on in the HSC last season (coincidentally the 1st round).

(&everyone) If you only have a few games - when the season starts post a list of what you have (and want to play) on the games list thread and keep an eye on the votes. If you can't download games and use a real Disk Drive I could post out a disk or two of goodies - just like in the old days. :)

NTSC vs PAL I was wondering if many NTSC players don't take part (any longer) as the PAL players ususally win due to the games often being easier/slower. If we have enough NTSC players this season coming I could run two separate tables if that would encourage more players? I'm already planning to award 1pt extra for NTSC players as it stands (usual scoring is 12pts for 1st place)

The last question re which System/RAM would have been better if it said can you run '64K' games like Bounty Bob Strikes Back or not :ponder:

Any comments from former HSCers as to why they dropped out/lost interest (aside from personal matters) ?

Anything from the 'could be tempted crowd' - what about if there was a prize?!

:)

@Tickled_Pink: That's great :thumbsup: I created and ATR with the new NTSC and PAL Dropzones on in the HSC last season (coincidentally the 1st round).

(&everyone) If you only have a few games - when the season starts post a list of what you have (and want to play) on the games list thread and keep an eye on the votes. If you can't download games and use a real Disk Drive I could post out a disk or two of goodies - just like in the old days. :)

NTSC vs PAL I was wondering if many NTSC players don't take part (any longer) as the PAL players ususally win due to the games often being easier/slower. If we have enough NTSC players this season coming I could run two separate tables if that would encourage more players? I'm already planning to award 1pt extra for NTSC players as it stands (usual scoring is 12pts for 1st place)

The last question re which System/RAM would have been better if it said can you run '64K' games like Bounty Bob Strikes Back or not :ponder:

Any comments from former HSCers as to why they dropped out/lost interest (aside from personal matters) ?

Anything from the 'could be tempted crowd' - what about if there was a prize?!

:)

Well, I guess I will say I have an XL then. A 400XL that is :)

And as far as the prize: depends on what it is.