IGNORED

Loading Times What is the Slowest and Fastest

Mafia 1 for ps2 keeps pausing and loading, every time i pass a bridge. Loading took so long that even small mission last forever. So after only playing around 10 minutes, i was sick of loading times and put the game away, and never played it again.

There are plenty of C64 disk based games that took so long to load you might as well go make yourself a cup of tea and come back.

Loading games off tape on the Adam took an eternity.

The longest install process is still probably Wing Commander 2 with the Speech pack. Might as well pencil off an entire evening for that one as it took hours to do on a 386.

I've never seen a modern system be that long to actually play unless it's a PS3 game that requires a HDD install to play.

I remember optimizing the CD versions of Space Ace and Dragons Lair on the PC took forever (not sure what it was exactly doing, probably copying the data to the HD or something). DL took something like 30 min. Then again, installing the disk based versions of the game took something like 45 min as well.

Growing up I had an Apple II and the load times were super fast. I think the longest game was only a minute or two.

It seems like modnation racers on PS3 was unnecessarily bad for load times. The level of customization involved, combined with *everything* being multiplayer probably didn't help.

Also PSN home is awful.

But yeah, Neo Geo CD's King of Fighters '99 (with all the bells and whistles turned on) was bad. I can't remember the last blade times. They were probably so traumatic that I blocked them from my memory. Thrash Rally on that system had great loading times though--just initial load.

Edited by Reaperman

For the best loading times, Just Cause 2 comes to mind. It's got a large continuous world, and I don't remember a lot of drops while it loaded things. Fallout 3 had the same idea, but going into buildings caused an agonizing load. Minecraft is a simpler game but it uses a similar formula for loading things as you approach--it's way more obvious in that game, though. Castlevania Symphony of the Night hid its loading screens pretty well using 'CD' hallways.

I'm only mentioning games that bother to load at all.

That's still in the works. I forget its name, but the device I looked at plugs into the parallel port on the PS1 and will load iso images from an SD card. Until it's produced, that's a system I'll be loading from the optical drive. Actually, no, I use a PS2 for those games and it has decent load times as long as the drive is clean and calibrated.

EDIT: The award for fastest non cartridge load times goes to the Atari 2600 with a Supercharger installed.

Edited by shadow460

• 2 weeks later...

You see recently I got Little Big Planet PSP which takes 2 full minutes to load which got me wondering what across all disc based systems what is the slowest game to load and what is the fastest.

I know one of the slowest is GTA London 1969 PS1 the last time I played it took 6 minutes to load.

Er, the slowest is directly loading anything from UMD. The fastest is ripping your UMD to a speedy memory stick and enjoying your game.

• Like 1

Not loading times in particular, but when I get a new PS3/360 game I usually insert it before going to bed, so it can do all the installing and updating over night...

Even after fully installing Mass Effect 2 on the 360 I still had to swap disks several times during play, which kinda reminded me of my C64/Amiga days. (I remember playing an Indiana Jones game on the Miggy that shipped on 11(!) disks. Quite a PITA, even with my 4 disk drive setup :))