IGNORED

Loading Times What is the Slowest and Fastest

The longest install process is still probably Wing Commander 2 with the Speech pack. Might as well pencil off an entire evening for that one as it took hours to do on a 386.

I've never seen a modern system be that long to actually play unless it's a PS3 game that requires a HDD install to play.

Try playing gran turismo 5, it took 2 evenings before i could play the game, because it had like 17 patches, some of them more then a few gig. The ps3 servers are just to slow.

• Like 3

Try playing gran turismo 5, it took 2 evenings before i could play the game, because it had like 17 patches, some of them more then a few gig. The ps3 servers are just to slow.

Then on top of that there is the agonizing initial startup load, and the lengthy loads between menus, the loads entering lobbies, the game freezing while loading forces you to restart--you finally get into a race and it's only two tiny laps and then it's load, load, load, load all over again. Most annoying game ever. Buried deep within that, there is a halfway decent driving experience--two laps at a time between 10min of loads, but it's in there somewhere.

Edited by Reaperman

Then on top of that there is the agonizing initial startup load, and the lengthy loads between menus, the loads entering lobbies, the game freezing while loading forces you to restart--you finally get into a race and it's only two tiny laps and then it's load, load, load, load all over again. Most annoying game ever. Buried deep within that, there is a halfway decent driving experience--two laps at a time between 10min of loads, but it's in there somewhere.

That's part of what soured me on Gran Turismo as a whole. Even GT4 is bad like that. It has to load 2 or 3 times between races, and it's still very nitceable even when loading from a hard disk. As if the PS2 doesn't have enough memory to go from the end of one race through to the next or at least to the map or garage without having to spend a full minute or two loading.

Jeez, I thought load times would be a thing of the past with Xbox 360 and PS3... I'd like to nominate Battlestations Pacific for some horrendous load times. Takes what seems like 60 seconds to load what you think is a cut-scene... Then probably 10 seconds more to load the actual game (yeah, I'm sure it's loading the game in that first 60 seconds.) That doesn't even count the initial load of the menus and your save game at the beginning. Oh, and if you restart the level... Has to load all over again....

Yeah, not the longest of all games, but probably the longest in my collection. Jeesh!

Longest loading time for me is Sonic '06. Took 4 minutes to load. However, I got it at GameStop, so it wasn't in the best condition.

Dude, that game wasn't in the best condition when it left the factory. A scratched up disc may have contributed to your wait, but load times on Sonic '06 were terrible regardless.

The worst access time I've seen on a game console was for some PSP wrestling title; I think it was Smackdown vs. RAW 2006. You could watch an entire wrestling match in the time it took to load a fight.

I understand that `The Hobbit` on the C64 takes quite a while although i have read conflicting times ranging from 10-15 mins so i may well try and load it up one day to find out.

Without a Fast Loader cartridge most games on the C64 take an ungodly amount of time to load. I was amazed at how much the Fast Loader helped (games went from 8-10 minutes to 2-3).

How on earth do those work anyways?

My understanding is that they basically replace the loading routines from the disk drive with ones that are faster. The disk drives have some serious bugs in them (I think they had something to do with Vic-20 compatibility) and to make them work properly they had to slow down the disk read routines to a crawl. The Fast Loader cartridge replaces those slow screwed up routines.