IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

...and after that, the developer made the new Dishonored game. Check it out if you like Thief, Arx Fatalis & Deus Ex mixed altogether.

I've seen the trailers, it does look a lot like those games, except the trailer makes it look like it's less about stealth and more about murder.

Man, I just had to hunt down a fix for Ultima III, as it was crashing when I tried to use a healer to resurrect a dead member of my party. Here's where it crashed:

ultima_3_crash.png

Here's the editing I had to do (two bytes changed, you can see them in red):

ultima_3_hacking.png

Thankfully I was able to find someone else who had the problem over on the GOG site:

http://www.gog.com/forum/ultima_series/exodus_crashes_when_i_resurrect

..Al

ULTIMA III SPOILERS BELOW!

If you haven't played Ultima III and intend to, you may not want to read this post. On the other hand, if you have played Ultima III, by all means continue.

-----

So, I spent a bit of time yesterday playing Ultima III, as threatened earlier. Made significant progress:

- Explored all the towns in Sosaria, including the towns you can only access via moongate or frigate. Talked to every single person I could find and wrote down all the clues.

- Bought the ten clues from the bartender

- Bought the ten clues from the Oracle in LB's castle

- Found Ambrosia and explored that a small amount, before I realized I was ill prepared in terms of cash. Looks like this is where you increase your stats. I later found additional clues that will be helpful when I return.

- Found one Mark inside a dungeon, obviously need to find three more.

- Found an area in a dungeon near LB's castle that allows fairly quick looting of a room full of chests. Kind of wish I had a thief so I didn't trigger so many traps. Using a Ranger to open them, but he needs more Dexterity.

- Have not found Dawn, although I have several clues related to it:

'Dawn' comes each new pair!

Dawn, the city of myths & magic!

Exotic clues found at Dawn!

The conjunction of the moons finds link!

I figured "each new pair" refers to the moons when they are both new. Tried going through the moongate when they are both new, but that just puts you in the same spot (which is what they normally do). Tried looking around at some obvious areas where the city of "Dawn" might appear throughout Sosaria when both new moons are in sync, but no luck. Obviously I'll have to think about this some more.

- I started mapping the Fire dungeon, need to keep going down.

- Have to find the Lord of Time. Know he's in a dungeon somewhere, surely on the bottom level.

- Have no idea where to find exotic weapons and armor yet, but obviously Dawn is important.

That's about it for now. :D Really need to spend time upgrading my characters' vitals, so going to play with that a bit.

..Al

• Like 1

ULTIMA III SPOILERS BELOW!

If you haven't played Ultima III and intend to, you may not want to read this post. On the other hand, if you have played Ultima III, by all means continue.

-----

So, I spent a bit of time yesterday playing Ultima III, as threatened earlier. Made significant progress:

- Explored all the towns in Sosaria, including the towns you can only access via moongate or frigate. Talked to every single person I could find and wrote down all the clues.

- Bought the ten clues from the bartender

- Bought the ten clues from the Oracle in LB's castle

- Found Ambrosia and explored that a small amount, before I realized I was ill prepared in terms of cash. Looks like this is where you increase your stats. I later found additional clues that will be helpful when I return.

- Found one Mark inside a dungeon, obviously need to find three more.

- Found an area in a dungeon near LB's castle that allows fairly quick looting of a room full of chests. Kind of wish I had a thief so I didn't trigger so many traps. Using a Ranger to open them, but he needs more Dexterity.

- Have not found Dawn, although I have several clues related to it:

'Dawn' comes each new pair!

Dawn, the city of myths & magic!

Exotic clues found at Dawn!

The conjunction of the moons finds link!

I figured "each new pair" refers to the moons when they are both new. Tried going through the moongate when they are both new, but that just puts you in the same spot (which is what they normally do). Tried looking around at some obvious areas where the city of "Dawn" might appear throughout Sosaria when both new moons are in sync, but no luck. Obviously I'll have to think about this some more.

- I started mapping the Fire dungeon, need to keep going down.

- Have to find the Lord of Time. Know he's in a dungeon somewhere, surely on the bottom level.

- Have no idea where to find exotic weapons and armor yet, but obviously Dawn is important.

That's about it for now. :D Really need to spend time upgrading my characters' vitals, so going to play with that a bit.

..Al

Your on the right path! Keep going!

You have to talk to the Time Lord no matter what. Your on the right path for all the things you mentioned.

Remember to also use the boat to explore out of reach areas. Speak to everyone...I guess Dawn is the only place you need to visit. You'll find it as long as you walked everywhere on the main land.

;)

Speak to everyone...I guess Dawn is the only place you need to visit. You'll find it as long as you walked everywhere on the main land.

;)

I suspected I knew where Dawn would appear, so I got clever. I peered at a gem when both moons were New and saw that it was only four steps away from me. :D

..Al

OMG, I just realized I can use all four characters to store gold. :D

Edit: On second thought, this might be a bad idea, as I'm not sure what would happen if you did "Join gold" and had cumulatively more than 9999 gold. And I don't want to find out!

..Al

haha...roll over maybe? Hopefully it just maxes out which I'm sure Garriott thought of for clever players. :P

I always joined gold to my fourth last guy...usually a wizard type. Always had everyone use ranged weapons too. Especially against sea monsters.

Man-o-Wars are brutal. Actually anything with poison if you dont have a cure for it. Devils are the worst and anything in the lower levels and the Castle of Fire.

orcus.gif

Spent some more time playing today.

Found the exotics, leveled my characters up, completely explored the Fire dungeon. Have the four cards. Have three of the four marks. Haven't found the Time Lord yet, uhrr, I mean, Lord of Time, who knows what dungeon he's buried in. Same with that last Mark I need. I'm not a big fan of randomly searching dungeons, and there's a ton of them.

..Al

The title is a clue to which one he's in (i.e. Lord Of "Time"). IIRC, that dungeon is pretty nasty.

BTW maximum gold is 9999 for any single character. No rollovers if you do a join (but there's not many instances where you'd need to do a join anyway...unless you are dumping somebody to grind on stats for a while).

Looks like I missed talking to someone somewhere. I like how I had to kill someone in Dawn who was blocking another NPC that had an extremely useful clue as to where the Exotics were located. This generally goes against my mantra of playing the Ultimas as a "good" character. Of course, that went out the window with Ultima II and the thousands of Happy Meals I stole.

It's interesting that the dungeons don't seem to have names, although some have names you could give them based on physical properties (such as the dungeon surrounded by fire and one by water). In Ultima II you could sit on top of a town/kingdom/dungeon in the overworld and hit "I" and you'd get the name of that location. They eliminated that command in Ultima III. Guess I'll have to think about which dungeon is associated with "Time".

I've been using the "Join" command quite frequently so I could easily move gold from one character to another to buy food, weapons, etc. I did run into the 9999 maximum yesterday with one. But I haven't tried transferring, say, 5000 gold to someone who had, say, 8,000 gold to see what would happen to the excess. Hopefully the receiver would end up with 9999 and the sender would have 2999. I didn't realize there was a "Hand Equipment" command until after I was pretty far in the game. :ponder:

..Al

Have any of you played the NES version of Ultima Exodus through instead of the DOS one?

I much prefer it. The graphics are unique, and you get some pretty cool tunes that aren't in the DOS one without the upgrade patches..

I've fancied remaking Ultima 2 numerous times, including putting more content into the game. I just might do it one of these days...

I feel that Ultima 2 is such a great concept that never got the attention it deserved.

Needs more dinosaurs.

• Like 1

Ultima 3 and 4 for NES both got a pretty interesting facelift. They play suprisingly nice.

I can't say the same for Ultima V though. That one just plays kinda blehhhhhhh

Is it Ultima V you don't like or the NES version?

Edit: I have never played Ultima V, so please, no spoilers for that game. :)

..Al

Oh I love Ultima V.

The NES one is just completely crappy. They went too computer-interface with an NES game, so it just controls awful.

and the music hurts my face.

Ultima V is my favorite Ultima. The only spoiler I will give you is that it's awesome and better than everything ever.

Ultima V may have been harder than Ultima IV and Ultima IV to me was waay harder to figure out than Ultima III....as I played them growing up. As I remember back then 'brutal' isn't the word when your playing these on real computers like a C64. It took me years to finish some of these on them back in the late 80's when there was no help, no internet and you didn't have access to cluebooks. Not to mention the amount of disk swapping you had to do. It took a LOT of time and notebooks filled with notes. Mixing regeants. Figuring out the moon gates. Talking to everyone and harvesting food.

These days thank god for emulation.

I played U3 and U4 on the Nintendo and really couldnt get into them at all. (since I played them heavily on computers the console ports felt inferior). I have to say that U4 wasn't too bad though and U4 on the SMS is actually very well done.

Ultima 7 on the SNES is a travesty.

Ultima 7 on the SNES is a travesty.

In what ways?

I was wondering how Ultima VII fared on the SNES, as that game was heavily dependent on the mouse and did away with the single-letter "command-prompt" interface that the previous Ultimas had. Also, it was a huge resource hog and ran slow even on high-end PCs of the day.

..Al

It's a mouse-centric game done on a mouseless console. That, and the audio sounds really stupid compared to DOS W/ a Roland MT-32.... :)

I thought ultima 3, 4 and 5 were, and still are the high point of the series.

I like Savage Empires also.

Best spinoff ever.

It's a mouse-centric game done on a mouseless console. That, and the audio sounds really stupid compared to DOS W/ a Roland MT-32.... :)

That's a shame, as the SNES had great audio! Here's an example of one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGPCvftWNWs

I like Savage Empires also.

Best spinoff ever.

I played Martian Dreams and thoroughly enjoyed that. I haven't yet played Savage Empire. Do you think that's better than Martian Dreams?

..Al

In what ways?

I was wondering how Ultima VII fared on the SNES, as that game was heavily dependent on the mouse and did away with the single-letter "command-prompt" interface that the previous Ultimas had. Also, it was a huge resource hog and ran slow even on high-end PCs of the day.

..Al

I actually have it. Plugged it in years ago and also recently on an emulator just to "see" it again. Arkhan says it best. Plus the graphics are pretty jerky and bad, sluggish as well. I think there may be youtube vids but I didnt bother to check. :P

Actraiser was one of my first SNES games I ever bought. Finished it many times. Love the soundtrack!

The music on Ultima VII for SNES just doesn't compare to the MT-32 tracks.

I mean , look at this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5pYdNNENLI

It sounds so awful! The graphics aren't TOO bad, but the menus are clunky. The music is just the worst part though. It makes my ears bleed right now just listening to how dumb it sounds.

Anyway, Martian Dreams is cool, but Savage Empire was alot more fun, IMO. I mean, there's frikkin dinosaurs. It's like all the stuff I expected in 9,000,000 BC in Ultima 2, running around attacking me! YEAH!

EDIT:

YEAH DINOSAURS!!!!

Edited by Arkhan