IGNORED

Does ANYONE have an Atari PC1 ONLY (not other PCs)

oky2000

I have only ever seen one for sale on ebay a long long time ago (6 years?) and I bet businesses who bought them all junked them when it was all 386+VGA+Sblaster fugly towers etc but I wonder if anyone even owns one that works right now. Also interested if someone has just the keyboard from the PC1

(The Atari PC1 is the PC that looked exactly like the original Mega ST and came with 5.25" floppy and PC compatible mouse for use with bundled copy of GEM for DR-DOS)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah don't care if it doesn't work was planning on sticking a small Intel i7 board inside with onboard ATI graphics. A lot of searching came up with 3 ebay user IDs that had received feedback following the sale of PC1s so they do turn up now and then and sell for about 100 bucks or less.

I've had an idea though given that the keyboard with it looked a bit like the old IBM XT keyboards. I might do what the guy who hardwired the Atari 800 keyboard to a Packard Bell compact keyboard using a duff Mega ST external keyboard. Not so sure about the 9 pin joystick ports yet.......

They are very rare and cost WAY too much for someone to hack a new mb in it! Sorry $100 would be very unlikely. Would love to have one and would pay several times that for one. Had found one last year but they guy wanted a few grand for it. It was mint though. Please do not destroy one for a dumb project like that!!

Edited by tjlazer

Agreed with tjlazer. I have only seen one Atari PC for sale for a couple hundred dollars.

Why don't you just buy a MegaST case from Best or B&C instead? Replace the label with a home-made Atari PC label and be done with it. If you want room for a DVD drive, you can cut/dremel out the disk drive slot to fit a drive in there. Damn, why are you making me think of doing this project myself too? :D :grin:

Can you even use an old IBM XT keyboard with today's machines? Aren't they missing a few important keys?

Yeah don't care if it doesn't work was planning on sticking a small Intel i7 board inside with onboard ATI graphics. A lot of searching came up with 3 ebay user IDs that had received feedback following the sale of PC1s so they do turn up now and then and sell for about 100 bucks or less.

you so crazy...lol

They are very rare and cost WAY too much for someone to hack a new mb in it! Sorry $100 would be very unlikely. Would love to have one and would pay several times that for one. Had found one last year but they guy wanted a few grand for it. It was mint though. Please do not destroy one for a dumb project like that!!

No, £100 not lower value dollars. Unlikely to you maybe but the prices sold were on peoples feedback (using google's cache function) so that is in FACT how much they sold for when the auctions ended, around £100 mark not 1000s not free to good home.

When they do turn up they go silently for a smallish fee. Rare <> expensive most of the time because people don't post such auctions to places like this where buyers would pay much more than £100 for them. But like I said the keyboard looks like some IBM model M rubbish on the PC1 so if I have to make a pretty MST/MSTE based keyboard via a hack I can just as easily use an MST case or Megafile 30 case etc too.

Edited by oky2000

Agreed with tjlazer. I have only seen one Atari PC for sale for a couple hundred dollars.

Why don't you just buy a MegaST case from Best or B&C instead? Replace the label with a home-made Atari PC label and be done with it. If you want room for a DVD drive, you can cut/dremel out the disk drive slot to fit a drive in there. Damn, why are you making me think of doing this project myself too? :D :grin:

Can you even use an old IBM XT keyboard with today's machines? Aren't they missing a few important keys?

Because the ports won't match an ST at all so that case will get hacked, where as an older P4 motherboard with the same D connector for video (even if it is 9 pin it's same size)/parallel/serial/15pin ports etc can be made to use what is already there with no need to cut or remove any of the physical casing and interfaces except maybe 5 pin DIN keyboard with a PS/2 adapter being used in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow Atarians!

I am an Atarian since 1988 with an 800XL and an ST!

I live in Greece and I am a retro gamer and Atari enthusiast.

I thought, you'd like to see a few photos of my Atari PC1:

pc1beauty.th.jpg

pc1side.th.jpg

pc1front.th.jpg

pc1books.th.jpg

pc1boxes.th.jpg

Yes I have the boxes as well!

However, this is NOT for sale!

I posted these photos in retromaniax.gr, a Greek retro gaming (and not only) forum, in Atari forum and here, to see the marvellous PC1, because I know there aren't many photos of this machine on the net.

Here is the link to the original retromaniax page: http://www.retromani...;αση

Note: You cannot see the photos in visitor mode.

Thanx for keeping the Atari spirit alive, guys!

Greetings from Greece!

Edited by archon72
  • Like 3

Yes, I agree. VERY cool, boxed and all! I like how you can pick up hints of Mega ST in the system.

It would be very cool - if you had a broken one and not mangling a working system - to stuff some modern PC innards in one. Somebody talked about wanting to do that above.

I'd like to see pics of that, if someone does it.

VERY nice pics of the PC-1! It's a sharp-looking machine, and it even has my favorite type of monitor (amber monochrome). I've always liked the under-the-monitor, "pizza-box" style desktop case, although the demise of the CRT monitor has made it much less workable than it was in the past.

I own an Atari PC-4 computer, in nearly mint condition, although it isn't 100% complete: the original hard drive and power supply died years ago, and the original keyboard and mouse are missing (the latter were generic Mitsumi peripherals, not like the ones pictured above with the PC-1, so no great loss there). I disassembled my PC-4 in a misguided attempt to upgrade it with new PC hardware, but fortunately I kept all the original parts.

Yes, I agree. VERY cool, boxed and all! I like how you can pick up hints of Mega ST in the system.

It would be very cool - if you had a broken one and not mangling a working system - to stuff some modern PC innards in one. Somebody talked about wanting to do that above.

I'd like to see pics of that, if someone does it.

Me, find me a cheap yellowed megafile/megaST case and I will.

I'm working on a SNES PC ATM.....have you seen how much SNES collections go for? Screw that!

• 1 year later...

Finally got one. Been looking for ages! Anyone know where I can download or buy the Atari System Software for this???

I've been watching the hell out of that auction. Silently. Drooling on my keyboard. Almost pulled the trigger several times. Congratulations. That is an incredibly beautiful piece of art.

• Like 1