IGNORED

For Trade: mint boxed promotional 2600 console [CX2600A]

glazball

Hi folks. I'm looking to trade my like-new-in-box promotional Atari 2600 console (CX2600A). It was given to me by an old roommate many years ago and I've kept it in storage ever since. He opened one end of the box to inspect it's contents, but it's basically like new and unplayed. All of the boxes and packaging all still intact. The boxed is marked all over with "Promotional Use Only" so I assume it came from a store display. I'd love to trade it - my wantlist is my signature - so feel free to pm me. Thanks!

EDIT: New pics of the console and serial # added (2/18). It is a Sunnyvale unit with smooth chrome switches. Hard to tell from the pics but the color around the switches is yellow, not the normal orange.

EDIT #2: I spoke with my old roommate who found this system, and he remembers finding it already opened. I was mistaken in my post where I thought he had opened it. It appears that whoever -did- open it moved some things around, but still appears complete and mint. Most likely it has never been played. A trade is pending, but wanted to post this correction.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

2600%20mint%20boxed%20console.JPG

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1

Very cool, and very nice! Thanks for sharing! The "Promotional" aspect of the set is interesting.

I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a good trade for it. Might wanna put up what your trade interests are - - more 7800?, more 2600 games?, Nintendo?, etc . . .

:)

-a2a

Well I'm certainly in no hurry to sell it, like I said it's been stored nicely away in the closet for years now. But perhaps someone here wants to give it a new home.

As far as trades - I'm open to just about anything. I collect every system, so I would consider all offers. Hardware: a boxed Channel F or Arcadia 2001 would be awesome. Software: just about anything US from Odyssey^2 to Wii U. (EDIT: except Xbox, Xbox 360 and major sports titles)

Edited by glazball

• 1 month later...

I've spoken to a few people about a possible trade but nothing has panned out. Still looking! If you're interested in a trade, please pm me. My wantlist (for rarer or sought-after titles) is in my signature and I'm also looking for many common loose carts for Genesis, SNES, N64 and complete common PS1, DC and GC games. Thanks for looking!

Does it have smooth chrome switches, or common ribbed aluminium switches?

A better picture, and one of the bottom sticker could make it more valuable as in if it is a 4 switch from Sunnyvale, CA and not an import.

If they are smooth chrome, I believe that is rare and you could get a lot more, I just don't know how rare.

OK I updated the first post with new images. I apologize for the crappy pics but it's the best camera I have access to atm. I gingerly took out the console to take a few pics of it. It is indeed a Sunnyvale unit with smooth chrome switches. It smells really nice too! Man it smells like 1981. It's weird how smells can cause such strong memories!

I'm currently speaking with an awesome member who happens to live here, and we're gonna meet up this weekend. I'll likely trade it with him but if anyone has any of my big wants, I'd still be open to a trade so send me a msg soon. Thanks for looking! Big wants are (all US):

Hero Tonma, Magical Chase - TG16

Beyond Shadowgate, Super Air Zonk, Syd Mead's Terraforming - TGCD

Snatcher - SCD

Panzer Dragoon Saga - SS

Sonic the Hedgehog - SMS

Edited by glazball

That 2600 is quite special, and worth top dollar!

I have a 6 switch Sunnyvale light (and didn't know they existed. I thought just the Heavy Sixers were made in Synnyvale, CA) and it too has the yellow paint, but not chrome switches. Chrome switches were used rarely for store units as yours says promotional use, and sometime on units sent back for repair. The fact that it is in the box and new or slightly used and made in the USA, puts it at the top of the 4 switchers in my book. I'd love to own it, but have neither the funds nor the games you seek. Plus I have 8 machines to play 2600 carts, and emulators on the computer and iPad.

I can't put a price / value on it.

I'm sure others here have more info on what chrome switch promo units are worth.

"Get rid of" is such an ugly phrase! I'm quite content to hang onto it for the rest of my life. (In all honesty Atariluvr, I just found out I'll be losing my job soon and though I think I have another job lined up - fingers crossed - I won't have a video game budget for who knows how long. Thought this would be a good way to get some new games and make someone else in the community happy too.)

I'm still open to any and all offers, in case a trade doesn't work out locally.

Slab, I'm going to say $300-ish. There's a similar promo console now on eBay in worse condition that's been sitting at 275-290 before shipping. Theirs has red lettering on the box while mine has white, and it's from Taiwan not California.

http://rover.ebay.co...tm/190797921574

Edited by glazball

Slab, I'm going to say $300-ish. There's a similar promo console now on eBay in worse condition that's been sitting at 275-290 before shipping. I wrote the seller yesterday to ask if it was made in Sunnyvale or Taiwan but they haven't responded (yet). Theirs has red lettering on the box while mine has white which I presume means it's from Taiwan.

http://rover.ebay.co...tm/190797921574

Not to threadcrap, but I get the feeling you're thinking goldmine numbers here, when in reality, you'd be lucky to get even $200.

The one sitting @ $275 is probably there for a reason, and that's because nobody is wanting to pay that high of a price for it.

If you're using eBay as a source for your pricing, then why not consider these as well?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAtari-CX-2600A-System-Wood-Grain-Console-Promotional-Use-Only-Original-Bundle-%2F121065716696%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games%26hash%3Ditem1c30143bd8%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DDKBepxOWF5LYd4SoNqf0eAfM11I%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAtari-2600-Promotional-Use-Only-2600-in-box-TESTED-WORKING-extras-%2F190772512987%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games%26hash%3Ditem2c6aed88db%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DDKBepxOWF5LYd4SoNqf0eAfM11I%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

• Like 1

Don't mind a different opinion at all ProperRogue! I crave them in fact, so no worries about threadcrapping lol.

As you can see from both auctions you linked, they are similar but used. It's also highly likely that they aren't made in USA (they both have the red font on the box). I'm not trying to sound like some asshats who say "RARE NEW!!" when it's been opened, but mine is certainly "like new." Nothing inside has been used, ever. The joysticks are still packaged up, the paddle controllers boxed and everything is still wrapped up.

The auction I linked has a reserve of 300. It's at 290 now and was relisted - the previous one ended at 275. So someone out there is ready to pay 290+shipping for that one and it's not in as good shape as mine is (they mention paddles are boxed but not joysticks, etc). Also, it was made in Taiwan (per the picture of the bottom). I'm not trying to make a zillion bucks, but I don't think 300-ish is unreasonable. :)

Edited by glazball