IGNORED

Trying to update CYC

hloberg

just tried to send an email to CADD (the email on their website) to get info on updating my CYC disk (it's about three years old) and got a bounce back. I know they have an address to mail a check to but really don't want to send a check blindly.

Anybody got some inside information on these folks like another email address?

By the way, what this has to do with TI programming is that I use PC99 (yes still) for a lot of my programming stuff and the CYC has such a great wealth of programming info (well worth the price).

Edited by hloberg

just tried to send an email to CADD (the email on their website) to get info on updating my CYC disk (it's about three years old) and got a bounce back. I know they have an address to mail a check to but really don't want to send a check blindly.

Anybody got some inside information on these folks like another email address?

By the way, what this has to do with TI programming is that I use PC99 (yes still) for a lot of my programming stuff and the CYC has such a great wealth of programming info (well worth the price).

I just communicated with CADD via the e-mail address on their site and had no problem: caddelectronics[at]ix[dot]netcom[dot]com Just replace "[at]" with "@" and "[dot]" with ".".

...lee

I just communicated with CADD via the e-mail address on their site and had no problem: caddelectronics[at]ix[dot]netcom[dot]com Just replace "[at]" with "@" and "[dot]" with ".".

...lee

OK, I feel dumb. :-D

tried a few times and got bounce backs. must been something on my end or I did. sorry.

thanks for testing it.

HLO

PS just emailed, no problem. must been Hotmail issue yesterday.

Edited by hloberg

good to hear, mike wright (and his wife) are still active on cadd electronics. i want to update my cyc dvd as well soon :)

have transfered all pdfs to my 7" nexus tablet last week :)

currently I am concentrating on reading a lot about getting the most out of TI Basic / TI Extended Basic, with CALL PEEK and loading direct values to RAM via CALL LOADs. After 30 years this machine is still so cool!

good to hear, mike wright (and his wife) are still active on cadd electronics. i want to update my cyc dvd as well soon :)

have transfered all pdfs to my 7" nexus tablet last week :)

currently I am concentrating on reading a lot about getting the most out of TI Basic / TI Extended Basic, with CALL PEEK and loading direct values to RAM via CALL LOADs. After 30 years this machine is still so cool!

Just got this email from them (they responded in less than 24 hours!)

Dear Howard,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Yes. The Cyc is still being produced. It has a lot of changes from 2009.

One of the most important is that it is now delivered on a DVD. For most

users this should not be a problem.

The address and price on the website are correct.

Please note that you must either return the version you have, or agree

to destroy it after receipt and testing of the update.

Thank you,

VW (for CaDD Electronics)

I'm re-teaching myself Assembler then I might go on to Forth or C99 (not sure which).

looking forward to see what the updates on the disk are that need a DVD now.

Also, still use PC99 in DOSBOX megabuild (enables printing) as my main emulator with Classic 99 and real close 2nd.

Edited by hloberg

Yay, another Howard! I wish Cadd would lower the price on their emulator (since it's essentially useless) just to allow people to get the disk. It ain't worth $100 to me to get it, but certainly $25+.

Absolutely agree with unhuman...

about ti99 stuff... like documents, manuals, books etc... well.... it should be free for all... by now. this is my personal opinion.

i wish to complete my online DataBase soon.

Edited by ti99userclub

Absolutely agree with unhuman...

I disagree about the emulator I like it, but that's a matter of opinion.

Ya know, I don't remember it being that expensive when I got the package many, many years ago. They really need to get with the times and drop the price a lot. Maybe they think we people who already own it might feel cheated, in which case I wouldn't. To get the CYC in more hands would be good for the community. Heck, I would care if they gave it away.

Also, I wish they would release the source code but fat chance of that ever happening.

Edited by hloberg

Yes, i never used the CYC emulator but only classic99 or Mess.

so if you think about it's correct to pay the emulator becouse it's better than others, well... it could be possible and correct. but not so expensive, and only for the DVD contents.

maybe could be sold only the emulator licence without the DVD ?

Yes, i never used the CYC emulator but only classic99 or Mess.

so if you think about it's correct to pay the emulator because it's better than others, well... it could be possible and correct. but not so expensive, and only for the DVD contents.

maybe could be sold only the emulator licence without the DVD ?

They ought to sell the CYC without the emulator but when they were asked about doing that they said they couldn't, it had something to do with copyrights with TI? Maybe the deal they cut with TI has something to do with the cost and how they sell it, don't know.

Still, originally I only remember paying about $65 for the emulator AND the CYC, maybe i'm wrong. It was over 10 years ago. Their price now is about $100. Way too much.

As for the emulator I like it, but if it was going to buy it now I would not pay the price they want for it.

It's sad, cause if they did release the emulator source to the community it could be upgraded to something real nice. They had actually started on a Windows version of PC99 and quit.

Oh well, if wishes were horses.....

good...

at this page i have a price for $24.99 for the Cyc...

maybe i lost some added informations ?

http://www.cadd99.com/cyc.htm#Howmuch

Edit:

yes i lost some other informations :-o

http://www.cadd99.com/pc99ord.htm

Ya, you have to purchase the emulator to get the CYC. even the light version puts it at 75$ for both emulator & CYC.

I will say that ftp://ftp.whtech.com/ has a lot of the stuff on my current CYC disk (circa 2009). It's just not in as good a shape, as in the scans are sometimes kinda bad, and no where as organized. Still, poking around the web you should be able to find just about everything one would need for the TI-99. It just takes time.

I have been collect this stuff for about 10+ years (not counting the CYC) I have a least a couple gigabytes of documents for the TI.

hloberg, i think the same...

i have a hundreds of original documents, magazines, manuals, Video, books etc... too

all i am collecting from every part of the world and i am scanning again all the documents that in whtech is not in good shape... and will put on lline for free on my website's database..

if you want all the stuff you have could be good to put online ;)

Edited by ti99userclub

The rub on the Cyc is that it includes all TI Cartridges, disks, etc.

For those of us trying to be 100% legal - can't have that stuff any other way.

Until "abandonware" is given it's legal due, the nebulous state of it is something out of what I can have. Software copyrights need to be reigned in. Won't happen, but...

They don't even accept Paypal, for God's sake. It's a total pain in the ass to order The Cyc from Europe. I'll have to go into town (at least 40 minutes one way, then pay to park in a town-centre car park, or take train (I pay through the nose, either way)) to find a bank that will produce a bankers draft, then write up a letter/order and go to the post office to mail the damn thing.

I'm not prepared to do that.

If they accepted Paypal I could do it from my freaking armchair. Hell, if they're pissed at Paypal because of the fees, then add $10 to the price for Paypal purchases. I'd *still* happily pay an extra $10 rather than waste my time, energy, fuel, and money on town-centre parking and trips to the post office.

well, the reason I was told why the cyc and pc99 can't be decoupled, that a lot of software/books authors gave their permission to c.a.d.d. that it to be used with pc99 only.

but i don't think they have to pay for every sold pc99 license a fee to texas instruments.

if you ask me, the bundle restriction doesn't prohibit them to reduce the price of the emulator to 10$ or even give the emulator away for free since it's really made for a legacy OS, and just ask a fair fee for the big amount of work that goes into the cyc.

we europeans could try to organize one big order for everyone interested, this way not everyone himself has to pay the bank fee. i think the bank fee is 15-30 euro.

I am interested in a cyc update for me. so who else wants to order something from europe?

They don't even accept Paypal, for God's sake. It's a total pain in the ass to order The Cyc from Europe. I'll have to go into town (at least 40 minutes one way, then pay to park in a town-centre car park, or take train (I pay through the nose, either way)) to find a bank that will produce a bankers draft, then write up a letter/order and go to the post office to mail the damn thing.

I paid it electronically a few months ago. I transfered the money with my bank's online services to a bank account in the UK.

hi Klaus,

could you or someone, print the directory of your CYC in a TXT file for see the contents ?

it could me help about a decision in pay a so expensive price...

Here is a listing of everything on my 2009 CYC disk. Kinda cryptic file names, but you can get an idea of whats there.

The disk has a real nice index, but I thought they might have a problem of me posting it.

Supposedly, they have added a lot since. I just ordered the new disk so I'll know shortly.

list.txt

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

well, the reason I was told why the cyc and pc99 can't be decoupled, that a lot of software/books authors gave their permission to c.a.d.d. that it to be used with pc99 only.

but i don't think they have to pay for every sold pc99 license a fee to texas instruments.

if you ask me, the bundle restriction doesn't prohibit them to reduce the price of the emulator to 10$ or even give the emulator away for free since it's really made for a legacy OS, and just ask a fair fee for the big amount of work that goes into the cyc.

we europeans could try to organize one big order for everyone interested, this way not everyone himself has to pay the bank fee. i think the bank fee is 15-30 euro.

I am interested in a cyc update for me. so who else wants to order something from europe?

do your banks do money orders or travelers checks? They should accept those.

Edited by hloberg

• 2 weeks later...