IGNORED

WTB Standard offical SNES controller cheapest possible

TheGameCollector

I am lacking a second controller for my Super Nintendo due to sales of spare systems I had. I thought I had one more but I guess I didn't. Send me a PM and tell me about or show me pictures of any wear. As long as it is fully functional and you don't have to jam any of the keys in in order to get the buttons to work I'm ok with it. I don't care if it's yellowed or has the "Super Nintendo" logo wearing off.

I'm going to see how many offers I get and take the cheapest one.

Just a suggestion, but it might be better to just write how much you're willing to pay, no? With such a low-value item, I think it may be excessive to expect multiple sellers to send detailed pictures and put in "bids".

BTW I haven't yet found a SNES controller that can't be restored to good functionality with a little cleaning, including the carbonized rubber pads (or whatever they're called). I don't know if you're supposed to use 91% isopropyl on those, but it sure does seem to improve their responsiveness, and can make a controller where you "have to jam any of the keys in in order to get the buttons to work" feel brand-new again.

Just a suggestion, but it might be better to just write how much you're willing to pay, no? With such a low-value item, I think it may be excessive to expect multiple sellers to send detailed pictures and put in "bids".

BTW I haven't yet found a SNES controller that can't be restored to good functionality with a little cleaning, including the carbonized rubber pads (or whatever they're called). I don't know if you're supposed to use 91% isopropyl on those, but it sure does seem to improve their responsiveness, and can make a controller where you "have to jam any of the keys in in order to get the buttons to work" feel brand-new again.

I'm not interested in restoring a controller that might or might not work. I want it verified working not 50-50 chance of it working or not. What can I get for $4? Anything good?

I'm not interested in restoring a controller that might or might not work. I want it verified working not 50-50 chance of it working or not. What can I get for $4? Anything good?

Realistically, for $4 you'd likely get either a third party, really yellowed, or one that needs cleaned. If it was the regular NES that's a different story, but SNES controllers have been $10+ for a little while now.

I'm not interested in restoring a controller that might or might not work. I want it verified working not 50-50 chance of it working or not.

I wasn't suggesting that you buy an unverified controller -- merely making sure you realized that if you ever do end up with a controller that's "stiff", it's potentially within your power to make it feel as good as new with 5-10 minutes of effort. As I'm sure you know, a lot of people have thrown controllers in the trash because they didn't realize a good cleaning would cure what ailed 'em.

Hmm, it is for player 2 after all. I just don't want friends complaining that they got the "crappy controller" and blaming my judgment for giving myself an unfair advantage. Do any of the generic SNES controllers feel just like the original? If they don't is it possible to take a broken original and swap the circuitry with the generic's or are the locations on the circuit board a little off?

Hmm, it is for player 2 after all. I just don't want friends complaining that they got the "crappy controller" and blaming my judgment for giving myself an unfair advantage. Do any of the generic SNES controllers feel just like the original? If they don't is it possible to take a broken original and swap the circuitry with the generic's or are the locations on the circuit board a little off?

Not usually. What is broken about the one you have? Sorry if you mentioned above, I didn't read the full thread.

Not usually. What is broken about the one you have? Sorry if you mentioned above, I didn't read the full thread.

I don't have a broken one (yet). I was just thinking if it was cheaper to get a broken SNES controller for $4 then a generic one for even less then swap the parts between the two it would still be less than $10 to do so.

I only have one SNES controller and that one works fine.

I think $8 would be my maximum for a working controller. I can get an SNES system at goodwill for $8 every month (sometimes even for $5) so don't tell me a controller is worth more than the system. Otherwise I'll just start flipping consoles for $20 then just buy a controller on Amazon or ebay. I can see it now. Post an ad on craigslist - want to trade SNES system for SNES controller. I'm sure most people would pounce on that offer.

Ok currently someone I've found is selling theirs for $7 shipped. That's looking like a good in between number.

Edited by TheGameCollector