IGNORED

Trub Terminal VBXE Help

Stephen

I have the latest copy of SDX 4.46 and am using RC_GR8.SYS version 0.7. I am able to get CP/M to load and then I start TTVB. I get a dark screen with a flashing cursor, but I am not able to read any text. I did CTRL+SHIFT S, then SHIFT+CTRL Q and this wrote out the file TT.CFG. It contains two bytes, BB 00. I tried editing this to BB 0B and relaunching the terminal. When I saved the config again before exiting, it had returned to BB 00. I have tried using RC-GR8.SYS both with and without the colour parameters on the command line. I know CP/M has been loaded because typing PIP makes the drive read to track 02 and the screen cursor moves down the screen. Upon exiting to SDX, I have to hit reset to restore screen output.

Has anyone been able to make this setup work?

• 2 weeks later...

New version of Trub Terminal is working. This absolutely smokes the original terminal that came with the Indus. I can't wait to try it when I finally install a VBXE2, but even without it the display is crisp and fast. RC-GR8.SYS is shaping up nicely.

For everyone interested: The new version of TT terminal (0.5) is now available on http://trub.atari8.info.

Note that CP/M full-screen programs need to be configured to use the features of TT (speed!). The easiest way is to choose compatible terminals such as Lear Sieger ADM-31, Commodore 128 or Kaypro. Some configuration programs allow to enter the terminal escape codes directly. For the list of supported codes see the documentation file inside the TT archive.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi Trub. Does TT support drives other than A:? If I understand this correctly, with the original Indus terminal E.COM, I/O with the B: drive goes through the terminal on it's way to/from the Indus.

When I use TT, I have no B: drive. With E.COM, I do have a B: drive.

It would be nice to use TT under SDX. Hopefully I can store the CP/M ATR files on the hard drive for speed (using Jon's Loader).

That would make WordStar a pleasure to use if possible.

• Like 2

TT supports CP/M drives B: and C:. They are both mapped to Atari D2: drive with 256BPS disk (B:) or 128BPS disk (C:, rarely used).

TT works well under SDX, but Indus drive (D1:) should be directly accessible.

So, you have to deactivate any hard disk partition mapped to D1: to let the SIO floppy respond.

I have also successfully used ATR disk image on IDEPlus as CP/M B: (mapped as D2: with ATRM utility).

The speed is still not very impressive, since the protocol requires passing control commands between Indus and TT through SIO.

• Like 2

It seems that TT works with B: now. I must have had something configured wrong before.

Question: Does TT do direct SIOV communication? I don't understand why it is limited to 19200 even when HSIO is enabled in Jon's BIOS. Also, I have Zork set up as D2: in the Loader, but it still uses SIO instead of the image on the hard drive.

Is this fixable?

BTW, the timeout issue with RespeQt does NOT exist when using TT. The original E.COM would cause B: to stop responding with BDOS Err on B: BAD SECTOR if there was no disk access for more than a few seconds. TT works fine with RespeQt.

Thanks.

Edit: My goal is to get this working fast from a hard drive so we can run NZ-COM and use WordStar productively.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

TT uses SIOV to read (write) from D2: when B: is accessed.

If you have OS or PBI driver with hi-speed SIO, it is used to get the data.

However, TT then transfers the data further to the Indus drive which supports 19200bps by default.

Edited by trub
  • Like 1

I got it working reliably by using MATR in SDX to mount the CP/M ATR on the FAT32 partition. Then booting CP/M and running TT.

It is better (faster) than running with RespeQt over SIO, but I can't find a way to change disks without rebooting CP/M.

Also, is there printer support?

What are the possibilities of disassembling the Indus BIOS to bump up the SIO transfer speed? 19200 is slow.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, I just want to explore the possibilities of what this can do.

If we can run from the hard disk as B: then all the actual floppy (A:) does is reload CP/M at program exit or a ^C keypress.