IGNORED

Atari Parallel to USB Printer?

bob1200xl

I have a couple of old HP laser printers that I use on my Atari via a P:R Connection. They are getting a bit cranky and showing their age and, the newer HP laser printers, although they look like cheap, little plastic toys, actually work pretty well. Not ready to throw out my old 4MP, but I have ordered an M401dn to see what it can do.

First problem is that all the PCL5 code in my programs is set for feeding cards, labels and such into a 4MP, an edge fed printer. The new printer feeds from the center, so I have to adjust the formatting values to accomodate that.

Biggest problem is that the new printers are only available with USB interfaces. I can print to them via APE, but I want to direct connect to the Atari where I have better control over the hardware.

So... does anyone have experience with some kind of parallel to USB adapters? Particularly on an HP printer?

I'd like to try and do this without re-inventing the Wheel.

Thanks.

Bob

Yes - that is the adaptor that I would need.

Anybody ever tried one?

I can print to a USB device thru APE only if I use the Windows driver. Printing directly to the port with APE always seems to send the data out the parallel port. If I could either print directly to the USB port or send the parallel port data to a USB device, I would be set. (I think)

By the way, does anyone know why I can't select a Windows BOLD font in APE? I can select 11pt. Courier, for example, but not BOLD?

Anyone know how to set the timeout to less than 10 seconds?

Having fun...

Thanks for the help!

Bob

Does it support PCL5?

The cheap, little HP printers that have internal PCL5 support do not come with a parallel interface. Support on the HP lasers is very good, but nothing lasts forever.

It's time to develop a new strategy for using the new stuff on our Ataris.

Bob

The models I investigated a couple of years ago are discontinued, but it looks like this one has what you need:

http://www.brother-u...ec#.UPybXXy9KSM

Edited to add: D'oh...sorry, I forgot you need a parallel port as well. Looks like they've discontinued all such models. :(

Can anyone give me a model number for these Brother printers - I don't see any on their site...

Bob

I don't know about the Brother printers, but the OKI B400 series has a parallel port, Epson FX and IBM ProPrinter III XL emulation, and also include a duplexer. This series have been available since at least early 2009, I don't know how much longer before it will be discontinued. The current base model is the B411D, although the earlier B410D may still be available from some sources

http://www.okidata.c...?sku=B400Series

PCL was developed by HP, and PCL6 is supposed to be completely backwards compatible to PCL5 although some manufacturers don't follow this - I would bet Hp does. The HP P2035 looks promising, and not too expensive with a parallel port to boot!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F111004249650

To merge this with the other thread ;),

this sound for me like a perfect use case for the RaspberryPI (esp. cheaper version A):

Interfacing the SIO-port, processing the data (Cups?) and directing it to the USB-port. Would be even cheaper than the $69,-...

BTW: There is also a German source for such interfaces:

http://ak-nord.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store6_Shop10552.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop10552/Products/LPT2USB

...more than € 82, so I would go for the Raspi...

I was talking to Steven Tucker about tweaking APE so we could print directly to the port for a USB printer - and, he got it working!

The Esc codes work as they should so my old Atari programs work properly. You can change fonts in the middle of a document, move the text origin anywhere on the page, set landscape,,,

One new benefit is that when you are working with a Basic program that has printer control codes in it, you can List the program to the TrueType device and it will not act on the Esc codes. If you print to the Raw device, it will act on them. So, you List the program to TT and Run it to Raw - fantastic!

I tried this on an HP LaserJet M401dn and an HP LaserJet 1536dnf with good results. Be aware that some printers (LaserJet P2035, for one) have no internal PCL5/6 formatters, so you cannot use them with Esc codes on APE.

Of course, your APE printer still works just fine as a Windows printer on your PC, just like always.

Bottom line: you don't need expensive extra hardware to use a USB printer on your Atari. (the one I tried didn't work, anyway)

Use APE.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Does it support PCL5?

The cheap, little HP printers that have internal PCL5 support do not come with a parallel interface. Support on the HP lasers is very good, but nothing lasts forever.

It's time to develop a new strategy for using the new stuff on our Ataris.

Bob

The laserjet 1200s still had parallel. When I was a network admin I kept buying them even after they were discontinued because usb printers have more problems / get glitched more (which meant more people calling me for help)... It was funny because ignoring my own work experience I bought a usb only hp and it drove me nuts. I recycled it, after reenacting a scene from office space, and bought a wireless printer... they finally have the bugs out of wireless printing... they 1200s are on ebay used.

Edited by sl0re