IGNORED

Doom 2 homebrew?

doomwaves

I've been having fun with Doom 2 hack all day. I put in the level codes to see how many there are, barring any hidden levels I didn't look for and I don't know if I have the final version released or not, and there are 13, really 12 since the first level is just an introduction to the game. It's really nice to be playing JagDoom with some new levels. Good stuff!

Edited by Gunstar

I have a few jags, some jag links, and a couple skunks. I can't say when I will do it but I will try linking them at some point. My wife and I used to play deathmatch over jaglink (over 10 years ago... I doubt she'd spend 2 minutes with it now.) We had some good matches. I think the best thing to do is to restart the Jags between matches. That seems to reduce the chances of a connection issue. Of course there have since been work-arounds developed for the jaglink issue. It would seem feasible that someone could fix the issue in the Jagdoom source.

Can this be played on a jaguar cd?

If so how would I go about being able to play it?

Sorry, this is cartridge only (flashcart/Skunkboard/alpine or make your own cart). It's just replacing Doom 1 levels on JagDoom with some Doom II levels. Jagdoom was made for cartridge and it would need a re-write of the Source code itself to make it compatible with CD.

It seems the copies floating around the interwebz are not the last version Neo worked with, so anyone who wasn't at ejagfest or AC who wants to have a look at it (it's the one shown at AC 2011) can go grab the original Doom ROM, fire up an IPS patching tool such as LIPS and apply the patch in the attachment. This will result in the ROM magically appearing on your machine, ready to be flashed to your skunk. The patch doesn't contain any Doom II assets, just some highly edited/optimised levels that look a bit like those found in Doom II (in order to recreate the Doom II experience in Jaguar Doom the best Neo could). Thanks to him for his hard work and digging out and testing this version - cheers!

I'm not sure if this is the first patched Jaguar game posted to AA (even if it is in a very roundabout way) but we can't let all the other Atari sections have all the fun, can we?! Also, I've heard it won't be the last Jag game to get a little remix :-)

Have fun!

EDIT: OK, Maybe the CF steering patch was posted here, or maybe that was just on the Reboot site...

EDIT 2: Looks like the version still wasn't the latest one, will replace when I have the right one.

EDIT 3: It was the latest version - it might only have 12 levels but they are bigger and more complex, so it's back up :-)

• Like 6

More than just porting Doom 2 levels have been accomplished. We were able to completely change sprites, animations, sounds, and edit levels. All with our own material or others. We have used and still have the tools to make completely new games using the Doom engine on the Jaguar. No you cannot add music in-game it wasnt built that way at all. We were able to add strafing as well. We realized early on the limitations of the maps and levels. You needed small rooms and generally smaller levels OR few enemies in a simple large room. We were also able to change the latency for jag link games to prevent it from crashing as often :)

• Like 2

That is really cool JagSlave

It seems the copies floating around the interwebz are not the last version Neo worked with, so anyone who wasn't at ejagfest or AC who wants to have a look at it (it's the one shown at AC 2011) can go grab the original Doom ROM, fire up an IPS patching tool such as LIPS and apply the patch in the attachment. This will result in the ROM magically appearing on your machine, ready to be flashed to your skunk.

So will any Doom patch work with this IPS patching idea with Jaguar Doom?

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Yes, it is very cool JagSlave, but the Doom 2 hack is here, available for all of us (who have the hardware or emulator) to play. Is Stormworks responsible for this Doom 2 hack floating around? Your new stuff looks stunningly fantastic, but if all we get is Youtube videos, that's fun for a couple of minutes. And nice to dream of playing at night. I hope we can get the opportunity to play your stuff too.

Edited by Gunstar

Yes, it is very cool JagSlave, but the Doom 2 hack is here, available for all of us (who have the hardware or emulator) to play. Is Stormworks responsible for this Doom 2 hack floating around? Your new stuff looks stunningly fantastic, but if all we get is Youtube videos, that's fun for a couple of minutes. And nice to dream of playing at night. I hope we can get the opportunity to play your stuff too.

Nawp, sorry to say its just yet another proof of concept for the Jaguar that will never be complete.

Nawp, sorry to say its just yet another proof of concept for the Jaguar that will never be complete.

Well, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but really, thanks for nothing then. What does it matter if all that can be done, if nobody can ever try it. It's worthless. That's the real sad part about the JagDoom engine, Since the 90's different people have said they cracked Jagdoom, fixed networking, and new levels, new graphics, etc., but none of it has ever helped the community one bit, none was ever released. First T-bird, then Matthias, then Stormworks and others (who's doing/was doing Death Tongue again?)...it must give you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing all the work you've done was ultimately pointless. I'm sorry if I'm coming down on you JagSlave, but it seems to me to actually be rude and sort of a "nah-nah-nah" attitude of even mentioning what has been done if it never gets released. I've heard it over and over and over...FINALLY a JagDoom hack with Doom 2 like levels! Hurray the victory goes to what was actually released to users! Now back to my JagDoom 2...Free Doom? What's that? Oh, you mean VAPORWARE free Doom...whatever...

Edited by Gunstar

I've put the file back, apparently it is the latest version Neo had, it has less levels (12) but some are bigger and more complex. It's probably best to grab both this version and the one on the ROM sites if you want to try out the maximum number of different levels.

It looked like something might happen with Jaguar Doom after people got hold of Saxman's 32x tools and knowledge, but maybe designing a game with compelling levels is more difficult than people think.

• Like 1

I've put the file back, apparently it is the latest version Neo had, it has less levels (12) but some are bigger and more complex. It's probably best to grab both this version and the one on the ROM sites if you want to try out the maximum number of different levels.

It looked like something might happen with Jaguar Doom after people got hold of Saxman's 32x tools and knowledge, but maybe designing a game with compelling levels is more difficult than people think.

I put together a pretty nice level and was working on something really cool but alas the 'new doom' release was cancelled so I stopped working on them.

Well, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but really, thanks for nothing then. What does it matter if all that can be done, if nobody can ever try it. It's worthless. That's the real sad part about the JagDoom engine, Since the 90's different people have said they cracked Jagdoom, fixed networking, and new levels, new graphics, etc., but none of it has ever helped the community one bit, none was ever released. First T-bird, then Matthias, then Stormworks and others (who's doing/was doing Death Tongue again?)...it must give you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing all the work you've done was ultimately pointless. I'm sorry if I'm coming down on you JagSlave, but it seems to me to actually be rude and sort of a "nah-nah-nah" attitude of even mentioning what has been done if it never gets released. I've heard it over and over and over...FINALLY a JagDoom hack with Doom 2 like levels! Hurray the victory goes to what was actually released to users! Now back to my JagDoom 2...Free Doom? What's that? Oh, you mean VAPORWARE free Doom...whatever...

Hey man, you can complain and apologize for being a jerk all you want. Its that attitude that made us not want to give it out or finish it anyway :)

Anyone worth their sand in coding can figure it out if they try, so its quite possibly not vaporware if someone gives it a go to make you happy. The post was to show that it can be done, not being rude, thats it buddy. Its a part of Jag history now wether anyone enjoys it or likes it or not. The Doom 2 hack is cool though, I wouldn't mind settling for that either. Id probably still find something to complain about, but I wouldn't be a Jaguar fan if I didnt.

I'm just saying that it seems like about half a dozen times different people say they've figured out JagDoom and how to fix what's wrong with it, how to change wads so more Doom clones can be made for the Jag like PC and others, then, every single person that has "figured it out" suddenly closes up shop. How many times must someone new come along and "figure it all out" before the community actually gets something from it all. Why can't the people who "figured it all out" at least share their secrets with the rest of us, especially if they intend to go no further with it or release any clones? Why not release what you know and have so we don't have to go around in circles for another 15 years! Why? Why does everyone who figures out JagDoom have to keep what they know all secret?

Maybe for serious coders all of this is child's play, but I'm not a programmer, what I am is an artist and a person who can design great levels, if I had the tools to do so. There are a lot of us that could bring something to fruition IF we had the tools that so many other programmers have developed for Doom projects. It's just such a waste, If I were in your position JagSlave, I'd at least want the community to see and have and use what I had done, otherwise it's pointless.

I'm a writer, but all that I have written is worthless if no one can read it, if I never finish or never get published, I will eventually release for free, my writing, otherwise it was all a waste of my time if I'm the only one to ever see my work

I'm just at a loss to understand the rampant mentality that Jag coders have of figure out how to work with JagDoom and then sweep it all under the rug..

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

Hey man, you can complain and apologize for being a jerk all you want. Its that attitude that made us not want to give it out or finish it anyway :)

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. My attitude stems from this stuff not getting released, and you say, your not releasing it becuase of my (our) attitude...developer ; "we aren't releasing any of our work." users; "That sucks!" developer; "just for that we arent' releasing any of our work!" users; "...uh...that don't make no kind of sense" (watch-stealing scene from 'Brother where art Thou')

Understand that Jag fans have had broken and unfinished promises since the beginning, and we have become Jaded becuase of what could have been but wasn't. Then developers like you come along and basically do the same thing, say you are working on all this goodness, show us some youtube of it, then hide it all away and say your done and never going to release it. That's why we have an "atttitude." And Doom is a particularly well trodden area where this happens. If the first people who figured it out had just released what they had done, others could have picked up the torch and we could have been enjoying multitudes of Doom clones over the last decade or more.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

I have to agree with Gunstar. Say Shawn, didn't you andJeff acquire a decent profit on Blackouts release last year?

I know you stated that Stormworks has 'close up shop' but if you plan on opening back up you should make a Doom 2 game....heck maybe even a Doom+ with working network support; I'm sure you will get a lot of people who would buy it. I know I would, I already own Blackout and I love that game.

I guess as long as copyright isn't an issue then I say go for it.

I'm also certain you would have the communities support throughout the project.