The Focus
The Waste Tunnels
The Crusher
Dead Simple
Tricks & Traps
The Inmost Dens
The Courtyard
The Living End 

Mine is excellent (can't remember which it is) but you get around 12 levels then the game just ends - that one will be the same I would assum

8 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

I know nobody likes a necro bump but I found this thread today after seeing Doom 2 Jaguar on eBay

Nonsense! So-called "necrobumps" are perfectly fine, especially in a vintage gaming forum. Especially when its related to existing thread content. Unless a mod tells you otherwise.

Like what other option is there? Sit down and shut up? Create a new thread? Then you get some other a-hole complaining you duplicated an existing topic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

I do wonder what this cart actually contains, is it just a few Doom 2 levels thrown in or an entire game? We don't really know what it is and at that price I am happy not to find out.

There was a guy, I think he was called BlackSquirrel or something that ported Doom 2 to Sega 32X and that looked good but have never found a ROM.

Do you have the rom?

1 minute ago, Keatah said:

Nonsense! So-called "necrobumps" are perfectly fine, especially in a vintage gaming forum. Especially when its related to existing thread content. Unless a mod tells you otherwise.

Like what other option is there? Sit down and shut up? Create a new thread? Then you get some other a-hole complaining you duplicated an existing topic.

? Amen

• Like 2

My Doom2 is only on cartridge and can't remember which version it was, don't think I have a ROM of it I'm sorry to say as back when I bought it there was no option to play a ROM on the GameDriveSD card reader, I think it would play on Skunkboard but they seemed pretty rare so best option for me was a boxed cartridge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JaggingUK said:

It will be one of these he is selling

v98
Intro level
Entryway
Underhalls
The Gantlet
The Focus
The Waste Tunnels
The Crusher
Dead Simple
Tricks & Traps
Tenements
The Catacombs
The Abandoned Mines
Monster Condo

AC2011 version
Intro Level
Entryway
Underhalls
The Gantlet
The Focus
The Waste Tunnels
The Crusher
Dead Simple
Tricks & Traps
The Inmost Dens
The Courtyard
The Living End 

Mine is excellent (can't remember which it is) but you get around 12 levels then the game just ends - that one will be the same I would assum

Hmm... that's a decent chunk in fairness.. I wonder if level selection is due to possible framrate issues with some of the busier maps?

11 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

No for neither. I see theres a version of Jag Doom with the music reinstated too..

Oh ok thx I'm a big 32x and jaguar fan. When I get jaguar game cart aka everdrive I'll play doom+music rom. Maybe doom2 too without music, not sure of final revision tho.

saxman made a converter to make 32X Doom wads for the original 32X Doom. You can find that here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/49230-doom-32x-wad-converter/

I suspect that the 32X Doom II you mention was just put together using that converter and a few Doom II levels.

I've been working with Victor Luchits on a new Doom 32X based on Calico - a port of the JagDoom code to the PC with the rendering part (which is pure JRISC assembly in JagDoom) converted back into C. It's got a lot of improvements over the original Doom, including support for all the JagDoom levels, directional sprites, monster in-fighting, music from the SegaCD, and support for the Mega Mouse for improved control.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/119202-32x-resurrection/

Vic's put a lot of great work into this, giving great frame rates on full screen low detail mode (same resolution as JagDoom), as well as decent frame rates in two different resolutions of high detail. Resolutions: low detail (two pixel modes) 128x144, 128x160, 160x180 (same as JagDoom); high detail (one pixel modes) 224x128, and 252x144.

Part of this new build is the ability to build the wad file for the game using different versions of the game, like the original 32X wad, the JagDoom wad, etc. I hope we can get a decent Doom 2 for the 32X out of this at some point.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chilly Willy said:

saxman made a converter to make 32X Doom wads for the original 32X Doom. You can find that here:

I suspect that the 32X Doom II you mention was just put together using that converter and a few Doom II levels.

I've been working with Victor Luchits on a new Doom 32X based on Calico - a port of the JagDoom code to the PC with the rendering part (which is pure JRISC assembly in JagDoom) converted back into C. It's got a lot of improvements over the original Doom, including support for all the JagDoom levels, directional sprites, monster in-fighting, music from the SegaCD, and support for the Mega Mouse for improved control.

Vic's put a lot of great work into this, giving great frame rates on full screen low detail mode (same resolution as JagDoom), as well as decent frame rates in two different resolutions of high detail. Resolutions: low detail (two pixel modes) 128x144, 128x160, 160x180 (same as JagDoom); high detail (one pixel modes) 224x128, and 252x144.

Part of this new build is the ability to build the wad file for the game using different versions of the game, like the original 32X wad, the JagDoom wad, etc. I hope we can get a decent Doom 2 for the 32X out of this at some point.

Incredible chilly willy. Have you worked on your open source jaguar games to try to improve steering even better in checkered flag? I saw you had 5+ jaguar game source codes in one of our pm way back in 2013. Anyway hyped for doom 2 32x ;) at least 32x doom has music ? 

Edited by ataritiger

4 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

I just stumbled upon watching those videos earlier today. That is really impressive that that man took the Jag Doom source code converted it over to a system it wasn't built for.  And he keeps re-working it so it's already out performing the Jag version. It looks like all the frames of animation for the Jag 3D monsters are in along with transparencies. Amazing what you guys did in about six months.  it even looks like he released a couple builds for the community to enjoy. I'll have to turn Kega Fusion on and follow this with great interest.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ataritiger said:

Incredible chilly willy. Have you worked on your open source jaguar games to try to improve steering even better in checkered flag? I saw you had 5+ jaguar game source codes in one of our pm way back in 2013. Anyway hyped for doom 2 32x ;) at least 32x doom has music ? 

I'd like to do some Jaguar work, hence getting the GD. Yes, I've been asked before if I couldn't look at the controls in CF. That is one thing I'll look at when I can.

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

I just stumbled upon watching those videos earlier today. That is really impressive that that man took the Jag Doom source code converted it over to a system it wasn't built for.  And he keeps re-working it so it's already out performing the Jag version. It looks like all the frames of animation for the Jag 3D monsters are in along with transparencies. Amazing what you guys did in about six months.  it even looks like he released a couple builds for the community to enjoy. I'll have to turn Kega Fusion on and follow this with great interest.

Kega Fusion 3.64 is the preferred emulator for playing D32XR. Even the mouse support works (set in controller 2) very well. Playing D32XR with mouse and keyboard for the first controller in Fusion feels like playing PC Doom. The only thing it lacks is CD support (no emulator supports CD mode 1 with 32X). It does play spoony's improved FM soundtrack very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

I'd like to do some Jaguar work, hence getting the GD. Yes, I've been asked before if I couldn't look at the controls in CF. That is one thing I'll look at when I can.

Kega Fusion 3.64 is the preferred emulator for playing D32XR. Even the mouse support works (set in controller 2) very well. Playing D32XR with mouse and keyboard for the first controller in Fusion feels like playing PC Doom. The only thing it lacks is CD support (no emulator supports CD mode 1 with 32X). It does play spoony's improved FM soundtrack very well.

Awesome Chilly thx

3 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

So it's not running on real 32X hardware or do I miss something?

I like the PSX opening and the fact you have mouse support already.

And you guys have brought back the original textures! Man I remember my friend and I waiting for JagDoom and looking at screenshots in magazines. Then being so disappointed when the cool computer screen textures were removed. And I notice later on more of the similar textures are put back in.  And the 32x only has 256k ram and you guys still did it. 

Fantastic work Chills. 
Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

So it's not running on real 32X hardware or do I miss something?

It works for most people on real hardware, but we do have a couple reports of non-working hardware we are looking into. It works fine on my US Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + launch 32X. It works on Vic's hardware (I think he has a PAL system, without the CD). It works great on Kega Fusion 3.64 (other than no CD), which we figure is how most people will run this.

37 minutes ago, JagChris said:
 I like the PSX opening and the fact you have mouse support already.

And you guys have brought back the original textures! Man I remember my friend and I waiting for JagDoom and looking at screenshots in magazines. Then being so disappointed when the cool computer screen textures were removed. And I notice later on more of the similar textures are put back in.  And the 32x only has 256k ram and you guys still did it. 

Yes, Vic went with the PSX opening, which I heartily approve of myself. It's a really cool opening. I should make a music CD with the PSX music for use with this. I love the atmospheric sound track. And if you have a Mega Mouse, it's a sin to not support it on a FPS game. If you set Fusion to have a 6-button pad using the keyboard as controller 1 and set it up like typical FPS key controls, and then set controller 2 to mouse, the game controls very similar to PC Doom. This would be great on real hardware if you had one of those controllers that used buttons for the directionals rather than a dpad. Using a dpad in the left hand and the mouse in the right takes a little getting used to, but is far better than just a pad for controls. It's easy to circle strafe, which I do a lot as is seen in the video I put on youtube.

Someone Vic knows actually fixed all the levels to get rid of the few bugs left in when they were edited to fit in the consoles. I suppose that might have included resetting some of the textures. Vic also went through all the data structures and minimized the size and memory use as much as possible, including a texture caching system to load and unload textures as needed. That's another thing being looked at as there are reports of occasional slow-downs due to texture caching that we haven't replicated. All in all, it's almost ready for a first release, but in plenty good enough condition for people to try out, assuming they can handle building the rom themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 months from the starting gate to an initial release. That's great! And now the sources will be out there people can just keep on improving it and every few months the community will get an update or improvement. 

I've watched that one video at least 3X. I love the return of the original textures. That's just beautiful. Very sharp and crisp.

I'd rather play on real hardware but I don't have any Genesis hardware. I almost got a Sega genesis with the CD player for $70 at the PRGE one time. Some guy was looking at it and hemming and hawing and saying I'll come back later I don't know if I wanna buy that. It was the Genesis with the CD it sits on for $70! In my excitement I blurred it out stupidly I'll buy it! so the guy snatched it up right then instead of walking away. If i just hadn't blurted that out.. I'm sick with regret on that one. 

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

Chilly can you pm me rom to play on my everdrive? What revision is build so far? Chilly, you are the man. I think one of jag open source you had was checkered flag, yes im sure you could make steering wayyy better than current steer fix rom for jag...thx for checking it out in future. Many might disagree, but I like graphics on checkered flag better than

svp genesis vr < but that has great gameplay however 32x vrd is better than any of them with great steering plus grest graphics but if you fix checkered flag way better than "current fix" it might be just be behind 32x vrd!

BTW, You sent me like 10 source codes wayyy back in day but I can't do anything with them, maybe somebody else ? can help you. Btw I told yall chilly willy was real deal ;) !

Edited by ataritiger

17 hours ago, JagChris said:

I just stumbled upon watching those videos earlier today. That is really impressive that that man took the Jag Doom source code converted it over to a system it wasn't built for.  And he keeps re-working it so it's already out performing the Jag version. It looks like all the frames of animation for the Jag 3D monsters are in along with transparencies. Amazing what you guys did

:0