IGNORED

Are Apple II series computers worthless?

simbalion

If you do end up pulling chips, be sure and get a nice chip pulling tool. I like to use one of those and gently unseat the chips with a simple screwdriver, or bent something or other that fits under the chip.

Of course, you could try seating them too. Sometimes that can help. When I got my //e, some of the chips were sitting very high in the socket.

Does it run and the video is scrambled? Can you take a picture?

But it was Keetah who made the original claim as to such, and to my knowledge, he's a traditional Apple II user and neither Atari8 nor Commodore8 products, right?

I was speaking in general.

Keatah is probably one of the only people here that knows Muffin isn't just something you eat and didn't have to google it just now.

To someone that got into Apple II's before Applesoft II and autobooting the IIgs probably doesn't look like an Apple II.

I wonder if he'd still think that if the IIgs had come out a year or two earlier without the GUI and the GUI was just an upgrade later.

• Like 1

Keatah is probably one of the only people here that knows Muffin isn't just something you eat and didn't have to google it just now.

I started in the Apple IIe era (got my first Apple for Christmas 1986) and even I know what Muffin and FID are. :) I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with all that Master Create nonsense. Ugh. The Apple II line was pretty mature by the time I got into it, which made it a nice first computer (Since I only used my Atari 400 games I don't think that really counted).

I started in the Apple IIe era (got my first Apple for Christmas 1986) and even I know what Muffin and FID are. :) I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with all that Master Create nonsense. Ugh. The Apple II line was pretty mature by the time I got into it, which made it a nice first computer (Since I only used my Atari 400 games I don't think that really counted).

Maybe I should have said he has a utility ROM and he's not afraid to use it... or something like that. :)

I was introduced to the Apple with a friend's Apple II+ in the early 80s. The firmware was pretty much complete with the II+. Applesoft II, autobooting, etc... It's what most people would recognize as an Apple II software wise anyway. I remember using DOS 3.2 and transferring stuff to DOS 3.3 from older disks but I don't think I had to deal with DOS 3.1 much. I just remember some of the disks not holding as much as the newer DOS.

The II+ I got from a friend in exchange for a gift card from Home Depot (I think it was a $12 card) is still one of my favorite machines. I told my friend the machine was probably worth at least $100 and he just shrugged. Maybe it had something to do with me helping build his retaining walls, doggy sitting, helping insulate his attic, texturing his ceiling, installing carpet, installing wood flooring... oh and I'm helping roof his house this weekend. I guess it was a good investment on his part. :)

Maybe I should have said he has a utility ROM and he's not afraid to use it... or something like that. :)

There you go. :)

The only 'weird' stuff I ever had to deal with was the odd game that still wanted Integer Basic, and even those were few and far between.

There you go. :)

The only 'weird' stuff I ever had to deal with was the odd game that still wanted Integer Basic, and even those were few and far between.

Most of the Integer Basic stuff I saw was already on a disk that loaded Integer Basic into the language card on boot.

It's been so long since I've had to switch BASICs I'm not sure I even remember how. INT and FP?