IGNORED

Atari 800XL Sound Fault - Help Needed

Can anyone please help with an atari 800xl I have which has no sound?

I should straight away fill you in with where I am up to with it - Well I currently have 7 800XL's. 5 are working and 2 have issues. the one I'm trying to fix at the moment has no sound so I took the POKEY chip out and tried it in a working machine and we got sound ergo it's not the POKEY.

I know someone is going to mention oscilliscopes at some point - no I don't have one. I don't mean to sound to direct but it'll just speed things up a bit to let everyone know now. I do have a DVM though and I'm not to bad with a soldering iron

Also I am in PAL area and they do have the monitor output (I saw people mentioning this on a similar 600XL thread - I never realised NTSC consoles didn't have this)

If anyone could advise I'd be really grateful

Oh ps my other none runner has a black screen issue - tunes but does not display. I reckon I'll have a go at this machine when I've fixed the sound fault on the first one

Can anyone please help with an atari 800xl I have which has no sound?

I should straight away fill you in with where I am up to with it - Well I currently have 7 800XL's. 5 are working and 2 have issues. the one I'm trying to fix at the moment has no sound so I took the POKEY chip out and tried it in a working machine and we got sound ergo it's not the POKEY.

I know someone is going to mention oscilliscopes at some point - no I don't have one. I don't mean to sound to direct but it'll just speed things up a bit to let everyone know now. I do have a DVM though and I'm not to bad with a soldering iron

Also I am in PAL area and they do have the monitor output (I saw people mentioning this on a similar 600XL thread - I never realised NTSC consoles didn't have this)

If anyone could advise I'd be really grateful

Oh ps my other none runner has a black screen issue - tunes but does not display. I reckon I'll have a go at this machine when I've fixed the sound fault on the first one

I don't know about the differences between NTSC/PAL systems, but I don't think there would be any significant difference in the audio circuit. The most likely cause I see for no audio is the LM358 op-amp, U1. The are also assorted resistors/capacitors in the circuit as well but these are less likely to have failed.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Dropped chip from position U1 and tested in working board and we've still got sound so not that me thinks.

Bill if you or anyone else has any readings which you believe I should test then I'd be really happy. As described above I do have a fully socketed, fully working system with which I can swap out chips. Resistors I'd need a bit of help with and if anyone can highlight which caps are most likely to be suspect then I can easily replace these.

Please keep the ideas coming folks - I really want to crack this baby

UPDATE:

Dropped chip from position U1 and tested in working board and we've still got sound so not that me thinks.

Bill if you or anyone else has any readings which you believe I should test then I'd be really happy. As described above I do have a fully socketed, fully working system with which I can swap out chips. Resistors I'd need a bit of help with and if anyone can highlight which caps are most likely to be suspect then I can easily replace these.

Please keep the ideas coming folks - I really want to crack this baby

I am attaching a ZIP file containing the Sobola 800XL schematics, this should help you with the troubleshooting. The sound circuit starts at the ANTIC on page 6, continues on page 8 with the LM358, and finishes with the connection to the monitor port on page 9.

800xl.zip