IGNORED

the Jaguar VR is available again on Ebay

MAYAman

I would bid, but this breaks it for me:

You will need an Atari Jaguar console with hookups and a working controller and also an extra power supply for the tracker( It must be an official Jaguar power supply or else you will run the risk ruining the tracker).

14 500 Dollars is pocket change to me, but I have to buy a Jaguar 64-bit multimedia system, a pad and an extra AC adaptor too? That's a little too much!

• Like 8

I might have tried to get a hold of the VR setup years ago, as it's been circulating for years, if it had more than Missle Command VR to play on it. If Dactyl Nightmare and a few of the other VR titles that were in development were available (even in beta form) I might be interested, becuase it is an investment, it's a prototype. But if I wanted it to just sit in a collector's cabinet I could get my hands on the mock-up one floating around for much less, I'm sure.

I haven't played Missile Command 3D in a long time since I own the stand-up arcade, but I remember seeing something in the game that it supported the VR helmet, and I've always thought how awesome it would be to have one. I can distinctly remember too when you have to look up to shoot the incoming rockets, how much easier it would be with the helmet.

Not entirely Jaguar related, but there are so many games that were designed with VR helmets in mind, that are just so much better WITH the helmet. Like System Shock (original).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xap7JLlROSQ

Edited by 82-T/A

Why is it that people think they need MASSIVE FONTS to make everything readable? Whoops, I missed that in the SEA OF LETTERS.

Do you mean in the signatures? I don't see any posts in this thread that have larger than normal fonts?

EDIT: I mean, other than the ones you just posted, heh.

Edited by 82-T/A

And to think that Ted picked this up for free, all for the taking just 12 years ago. Having been there during the time.... the price of it today just blows me away I guess. It's also not the first time it has been listed on eBay, Ted listed it once originally back in 2002 or 2003 and it had actually sold to ex-Atari employee John Skruch IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and ended at such a low price I think that Ted wasn't willing to part with it... at the time something under $2,000. (I want to say it was close to $1,700) (but, that's ultimately my theory on why he didn't sell it at the time, though I have no idea what really happened or why).

It's not mentioned but I'm pretty positive that the Jaguar must be the earlier model as well and not the later without the ADC chip. (otherwise it will not track) I also feel that a museum is the last place this should be in because then no one will be able to enjoy it or possibly expose it for others to check out hands-on and frankly, that's no good. Let the non-working mockups find their way behind the glass table. Being that the Blue one is in Italy and even if it may never see the states again, at least Litoskin is always taking it to game shows for people to check out and play all the time, so that's awesome!

For that price, a flash cart with the beta version of Missile Command VR should also be included which has the calibration feature as well, unlike the released version of Missile Command 3D. The video display has always been wonky on this red version, almost double-vision looking since even when I played it hands-on back in 2001 and very dim, so don't expect it to ever be 'right'. There are pin/jumpers on the inside of the headset that will alter the image contrast/brightness/etc. but changing the configuration never resolved the fuzziness or double-vision of the display. It'll be interesting to see who ends up picking this up... maybe we'll see it at MGC this year? That would be great!

• Like 1

I actually played with this at the first E3. First tried the virtuality demo out on the pedestal which was amazing. The Tramiels were behind the curtain along with a couple other guys. Jack have me a pen and asked what I thought. I told him I loved it. Really thought this was going to be real at the time. :(

I was senior editor for VGA magazine back then.

• Like 1

I was looking over this auction yesterday, studying the pictures and wondering about all the extra chips there, etc. I started day dreaming about owning it, and wishing that Zone Hunter was found on a flashcart or Alipine. I started wondering if there could be more than just the two working units out there, that maybe Atari didn't destroy the rest, maybe some where in virtuality's hands still at the time, or employees of Atari or Virtuality obsconded with some, etc. Well, I had a dream last night that (I'm a contractor) I was working for someone on a project, and we started talking and they learned I was into Atari and vintage electronics, etc, Well, in the dream they tell me that they had a son, who died in an accident, that used to work for Atari, and they had a garage filled with old Atari stuff, if I was willing to take it away, it was mine. Well guess what was in that garage in my dream? 6 fully functioning VR units, with MCVR and Zone Hunter and several other titles all on Atari flashcarts (among TONS of all kinds of Atari stuff). I can dream, can't I? ;)

For those keeping track, the VR auction closed with zero bids. This is unsurprising given the known issues with this unit and the $14K cost of entry. It would be interesting to see a reserve auction for the equipment. That would protect the owner if the bids came in too low while allowing us to gauge what the actual market value is.

For those keeping track, the VR auction closed with zero bids. This is unsurprising given the known issues with this unit and the $14K cost of entry. It would be interesting to see a reserve auction for the equipment. That would protect the owner if the bids came in too low while allowing us to gauge what the actual market value is.

While it's possible it could sell for that, it really does take the right buyer at the right time. It could be years before someone will pick it up for that much money. Also, there may be people out there that simply do not do the eBay thing nearly as much (such as myself) and just completely unaware of it. I doubt anyone except a handful of people have Jaguar VR in their eBay tracking feeds. Should have submitted the news to slashdot or something and it may have garnered some real interest. I like the idea of the reserve auction but would almost bet it would still come in under 10 grand. If memory serves correctly, you can pick up two new Virtuality SU2000 units for just a little over 10 grand... and that's the complete package, not to mention the amount of games available for it. I guess that's not a fair comparison being this is a prototype but it is fair for perspective sake. This would be what, the 4th time it's transferred hands in the last 10 years? Maybe someday I'll have the spare money to snag it up and take it with me to every game show to demo that we'll be attending over the next few years.

There should have been a video of the unit detailing the hardware, showing the actual functionality of the unit, showing the video display on the inside, etc, etc. Actually, that should be done anyway so everyone can see it. (Buddy Buddies? Willing to make a video?) There should have been dozens of hi-res pictures included as well from all angles. And yes, it should have included at very least a Jaguar base unit. For $14k, people want more than a dozen shots... they need to be shown it functions and exactly what they are getting. That's a lot of coin for some pictures and stating it AS-IS (I get the reasoning behind it) it just doesn't give anyone a good feeling. That as-is term has put me off on many auctions in the past.. if you're not confident with what you're selling in that it'll actually work once it arrives, that's enough to put anyone off.

Edited by Clint Thompson

This listing is back up with a reserve. Right now it's at $1300+ with the reserve not yet met. I wonder where the reserve is given the previous list price of $14k. Does anyone want to pool for a time share? ;)

So about a Grand for 3 weeks of time share? I could maybe throw in $500 for a week every year. ;)

Edited by Gunstar