IGNORED

the Jaguar VR is available again on Ebay

MAYAman

Beauty of it is, BTW, if people wanted to sell their shares, over time you could accumulate more time, till finally it might come down to two owners holding the sucker for 6 months out of the year a piece. :)

Maybe amoung the 28 owners someone might be able to repair it up a little.

Edited by doctorclu

Since I know most people probably don't visit the dark side of the moon, I'll repost this here as well:

So I was reading the description again and thinking back to when Ted originally got the Red VR headset. It never came with a power supply so he just chanced it and used the Jaguar PSU (I actually want to say it was the Sega Genesis PSU at the time). When I got the blue one, it had a specifically built power supply box made just for it. I remember reading something about DO NOT USE PSU ON JAGUAR. Then I got to thinking about the dimness issue or "double-visioning" of the unit. It never occurred to me while at Jagfest back in 2001 to try my power supply with Ted's red headset... it was a pretty overwhelming event and the last thing that had crossed my mind was how to troubleshoot his.

One of two things are happening, imo. The red unit is most likely being under powered (causing dim and or double-visioning / malfunction of the unit) and I say that because it was written clear to NOT use the power supply that came with the VR headset on the Jaguar (again, to my assumption in that it may actually blow up the Jaguar... due to the extra power running through it). OR... which doesn't make sense really considering all the other evidence, the Jaguar PSU is over-powering the VR headset and causing it to malfunction.... but I really think it's the opposite. I guess the only real way to get to the bottom of it is to have Litoskin inspect the power unit that he has on the blue one. I never had a reason to take it apart (why would I?) but it was a really hefty box to power that headset... and I always thought it was overly large and heavy and required a lot of power maybe as a result.

So who really knows? Maybe the Red unit is stellar after all? and all this time has just been under powered.... I guess the only safe and sure fire way to know is to use the actual power supply that litoskin has in conjunction with the red one to see the difference it could possibly make. Something that works half the time and has strange issues definitely seems to be malfunctioning for a reason and in this case, I bet it's the power supply.

Also, I forgot about the Ultimate Jaguar Easter Egg that could burn your house down to a crisp! wink.gif (not to mention fry your Jaguar I suppose lol)

If you connect a DB-15 cable to a second Jaguar that doesn't have a PSU connected, the first one with a power supply will power both units at the same time! However, you can sense that the 2nd Jaguar is struggling or starving for power so I didn't make a habit of doing it for very long... just thought it was insane you could power the entire unit directly from the joypad port.

If you connect a DB-15 cable to a second Jaguar that doesn't have a PSU connected, the first one with a power supply will power both units at the same time! However, you can sense that the 2nd Jaguar is struggling or starving for power so I didn't make a habit of doing it for very long... just thought it was insane you could power the entire unit directly from the joypad port.
Don't do this. You can damage both Jaguars that way.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been relisted again for $12,000. The previous reserve auction ended at $5,777 so it seems that there is a disconnect between what Jaguar collectors think that this is worth and what Mr. Buddies is looking for. These exotic auctions are fascinating.

Definately, I understand that since it's only one of two working ones in the world that it seems like Buddybuddies would get what he is asking, but then, it apparently isn't in perfect shape, it looks used and fragile even in the pics, and all you can do with it is play MC VR. I'd love to own it anyway becuase I dreamed of it years ago, but even if I had the money, i just couldn't justify paying more than a few thousand for it, less than what the reserve has reached.

I'm thinking Buddies is going to have to accept the fact that he has about the same chance of selling this for more than 10 grand as he has of winning the lottery. he may have to settle for getting what he paid for it and the satisfaction that it's going to a good home and will be preserved. I hope he didn't pay more than ten grand himself...

That all being said, if I were Buddybuddies, I'd try to get as much as I could at first too, I am a capatalist.

Edited by Gunstar

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know the origin of the red ones that are around? A Ted is mentioned above...where did he get his originally?

I have a red one that I purchased from an electronics surplus store near Atari's California headquarters back in the late 90's sometime. There were actually two at the store plus some accessories and I split the collection of pieces with a stranger who was also interested in it. I have never tried to get it working but talked to Jay Smith a few years ago who didn't think it was a working model. I'm just wondering if the other one from California is one of the others in existence.

It's not for sale. At one point I tried to donate it to a museum but never heard back on an email conversation I had.