IGNORED

Best Original Homebrew

mr.ratburn

Marble Craze never grew on me. I even downgraded it after I wrote that review (although the AA store doesn't support 1/2 point increments).

I enjoy reading your reviews, Nathan, and have gone back to this post more than once: http://www.atariage....y-homebreviews/.

As the AUTHOR of Ature (that's me) I'd like to distantiate myself from Yuppicide. The game is free and open source, and anyone can play it with an emulator, or can make a ROM out of it. I'm just as dismayed as you that hed didn' t come trough with the carts. I think he over-sold himself and ran for the hills when it bleww up in his face. But, tha game is still there for anyone to enjoy. I hope you are willing to look past this incident, because I think the game is very enjoyable in itself, and most people who play it think so too.

As a person who plays emulators now more than my original hardware I want to thank you. While at work I generally play Atari and NES on my Android phone and Ature is one of the modern games in my regular rotation.

As a person who plays emulators now more than my original hardware I want to thank you. While at work I generally play Atari and NES on my Android phone and Ature is one of the modern games in my regular rotation.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying my game. That's what I do it for, to bring some fun in other people's lives. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not one mention of Swoops!? C'mon, guys! :-D

It could probably be disqualified, though, since its three games are, I believe, adaptations of old/obscure/generic games (correct me if I'm wrong!). Splatform 2600, for instance, bears a resemblance to games like Springer on the TRS-80...only better-looking!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just a little off topic here but today I was talking about Christmas Carol (an awesome original Intellivision homebrew) and I asked if there was a classic game original homebrew that was ported to another classic system.

So I think it's a good place to ask it, especially because we have some programmers with skill in more than one platform. :)

Just spotting this topic, how intriguing. I have wanted to buy Dungeon for some time, but I was waiting for melody boards to be available again.

I don't think it is the best but A-VCS-Tec Challenge blows my mind on so many levels. And I hope cybearg gets some of his stuff in the store because I've been playing his stuff on my Harmony and he makes some superfun games.

Heya,

reading this thread and some other things, I ordered Toyshop Trouble and Oystron some time ago. After a couple of aeons (thanks to german customs), they arrived this week.

Weee, both are pretty stunning. Seeing how old ToyshopTrouble already is, I feel nostalgic for a homebrew, hehe.

Too bad its NTSC only(is it?) though the colors are still pretty playable on PAL if you dont mind a magenta dinosaur (my 2 year old daughter sure didnt).

A game free of violence without beeing totally lame or chess. Hats off!

Too bad its NTSC only(is it?) though the colors are still pretty playable on PAL if you dont mind a magenta dinosaur (my 2 year old daughter sure didnt).

You must have ordered the NTSC version instead of the PAL60 version then.

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=873

Toyshop is awesome . Reindeer Rescue is another great one .

Stellas Stocking has 5 original Games and 1st to have 64k (suprised no one mentioned it)

and of course Toyshop Trouble I do not wait til Christmas to play it play them all all year

• 2 months later...

I've enjoyed Space Treat Deluxe and Skeleton + quite a bit. Simple games, quick to understand and each game doesn't last that long. Skeleton + makes me unnerved as it ramps up, which is a good thing.

There was a Jack & the Beanstalk homebrew - I think it was in batari basic. I always enjoyed that while in-progress, and I think it was greatly improved by the time it was done. You might have to just get the ROM if available because I'm not sure it got released.

And just in case you want a "port" homebrew - Ladybug is AWESOME. I spent many hours playing it.

Hi, I programmed Jack and the Beanstalk. It was released in very limited quantities at a retro gaming show (I don't remember which one, nor was I present.) Thanks for mentioning my game. I think the ROM is available somewhere here, search for Jack in the homebrew forum.

...I actually happen to have a copy of this. Does anyone happen to know the going rate for it?

• 8 months later...

I wonder if someone is up to the task to list all 'memorable' homebrews along with the author, size, year, screenshot ;-)

Oh and with a BatariBasic flag out of interesst.

And yes, not me :)

Edited by enthusi
  • Like 1