IGNORED

What are some games you wish you could get on the Jag?

82-T/A

A lot of the kinds of games mentioned in this thread, probably made by a team of 5 or more professionals with a year or more of paid employment to invest in them, are simply beyond what's reasonable to expect of the part-time 1 and 2-man teams currently making things for the Jaguar. Some of them are well beyond what the system is even capable of or at best border on "might technically be possible if we do this, this and this instead of this..." kind of scenarios. There's enough time and effort been wasted on what-ifs and what-should-bes concerning Jaguar over the years and it results in nothing productive or positive... that's why these threads are often interesting only in that they show what old games people enjoyed on other platforms (usually PCs with way more resources than a simple Jaguar games console with a 4mb cartridge popped in) compared to what anyone will actually ever produce for our Jaguar.

The ones I posted are all older games... like Ultrabots. It was re-released on a CD, but when it first came out, it was on two 1.44" floppy disks. I still have that game, and actually play it on a 386 DX-40 that I have hooked up to my KVM, so the Jaguar certainly can handle that game. Same with Realms...

But I certainly understand the difficulting that it would probably take in programming since they're made for completely different chips. I would just love to have those games on the console... there's just something about playing a game on the Jag as apposed to a keyboard / computer.

Amiga games would be much harder to convert than ST ones because one would have to rewrite a lot of the custom chip code.

Full ACK; IIRC when Cannon Fodder and Nebulus were published for S60, they took the Atari code and the Amiga sound for this very reason. So creating Turrican type games on the Jaguar would most probably mean taking the ST game apart and then improving on that version (e.g. adding better scrolling, more colours, levels/adversaries from other Turrican versions, etc.).

Edited by Thorsten Günther

I always wanted more arcade conversions for this console. To me Atari consoles were synonymous with their arcade games. Games like Area 51 and Maximum Force which we know the Jaguar can handle. Hard Drivin/Race Drivin, Pit Fighter, Road Riot, Xybots and if they wanted to be really ambitious San Fransisco Rush and War: Final Assault.

Arcade conversions is where Atari really dropped the ball with the Jaguar, aside from a very small amount of updated titles.

• Like 4

I think the Jag could do far better even and really, if you wanted something like that you could just look the way of Battlesphere but that's a rich man's game ;)

I, Robot in all its 80's arcade splendor. Say it can be done on Jag.

I'm really surprised it hasn't been redone yet ,I think it's one of the cooler untapped potentials for a remake, especially since you don't ever really see or hear about it at all.

Full ACK; IIRC when Cannon Fodder and Nebulus were published for S60, they took the Atari code and the Amiga sound for this very reason. So creating Turrican type games on the Jaguar would most probably mean taking the ST game apart and then improving on that version (e.g. adding better scrolling, more colours, levels/adversaries from other Turrican versions, etc.).

Interesting. Does it stand to reason, then, that games like Sensible Soccer or Cannon Fodder on the Jag may be ST ports at their core that borrow assets from the Amiga version?

I always wanted more arcade conversions for this console. To me Atari consoles were synonymous with their arcade games. Games like Area 51 and Maximum Force which we know the Jaguar can handle. Hard Drivin/Race Drivin, Pit Fighter, Road Riot, Xybots and if they wanted to be really ambitious San Fransisco Rush and War: Final Assault.

Arcade conversions is where Atari really dropped the ball with the Jaguar, aside from a very small amount of updated titles.

Atari might have dropped the ball, but it wasn't Atari Arcade games, if Atari Corp. had owned Atari Games Corp., then they would have done conversions of Atari Games arcade games, but back in the 80's, Atari split, and went from Atari Inc., which included arcade, consoles and computers, to Atari Corp with the console and computers and Atari Games split into ONLY arcade. Atari Corp. would have had to make a deal with Atari Games to get those games made, or a license for Atari Corp. to develop or sub-contract development themselves. Just as they had to do for all other 3rd party conversions to the Jaguar.

Edited by Gunstar