IGNORED

Rare first party controllers

shadow460

OK, so we all know that Atari CX-10 joysticks and NES dog bones are kinda hard to get. How about stuff like the Dreamcast twin stick and the Sony dual analog joystick?

What do you own and which of those do you use? What rare controllers do you dream of owning? Which ones aren't worth the plastic they're made of?

I personally own these:

Three CX-10's

Two Sony Dual Analog Pads, one with its force feedback re enabled

Two PS1 mice with pads

Two dog bones

The Sony dual analog stick

A Saturn twin stick

Most of those get used for their respective games, i.e., mice for Red Alert, a CX-10 for about half of my Atari games, etc. The dog bones just sit there, though, since I built myself a good NES joystick.

The Atari 7800 joypads, released only in Europe, are very nice alternatives to the Prolines. I have two from back when they were more frequently traded on eBay. They're the only way I play two-button 7800 games (I stick with 2600 joysticks for the one-button games).

While maybe not rare, the NES Advantage and the Saturn "3D" controller aren't as common as their standard counterparts, and they're very nice to have, especially for certain games.

On the other end of the spectrum are the Atari 2600 wireless joysticks. I don't own any myself, but they look awkward to use, and from what I've read they aren't worth the effort.

Edited by FujiSkunk

For me it would be Dreamcast accessories. First off, the Agetec fighting stick. Granted, it's the US version, it was at least sold and endorsed as the official stick over in Japan. Second, I have two CIB Samba De Amigo controller box sets (US versions). Asides from those, I also have a Neo-Geo CD Controller Pro. It's basically the arcade stick designed more or less for that version of the Neo-Geo. I can't think of any other rare first-party controllers I have or use asides from those mentioned. I used to have a dogbone NES controller, but I got rid of that a few years back. Kind of wish I held onto it now actually.

Maybe it's just where I have been looking, but I never see any PSX controllers in anything but the standard grey (or, rather less often, white). Only once did I see a coloured controller and it was an ugly shade of red.

I love first and official third party ps1 controllers. I bought the dual analog controller bitd when it came out but by the time I realized it became a collector's item it was long gone. All the ps1 controllers ascii put out are great.

The original genesis 6 button controllers are a little hard to find and I like them the best.

jaguar pro controller is really nice in and of itself but unfortunately few games support it (well).

I picked up a PSX digital-only controller that is molded in charcoal grey color, not the lighter grey that was common. How rare is that?

I also have two Sears heavy sixer sticks, minus the Sears inserts, and a pair of Sears heavy sixer paddle controllers.

A couple years ago, I had a black NES stock controller that came with the Sharp NES TV set. Sold it on ebay when money got tight.

I actually own a pair of wireless 2600 joysticks. The only reason I don't use them is because the FCC sticker on one of them got damaged during a marathon gaming session.

Another rare first party controller would be the Pioneer branded Genesis and/or Turbo Grafx pads. I'd totally forgotten about those, and I've seen the Turbo Grafx pad go for over $300. I have the Genesis pad and I do use it occasionally.

The Arcade Racer isn't something you find in the wild these days.

Then there are the Atari and Sears branded paddles as mentioned above, as well as Atari and Sears branded driving controllers. I have a pair of Sears ones. Also, let's not forget the 7800 light gun.

Aiwamcd6.jpg

I have a pretty good collection of controllers, but I'd really like to have that one. Last one on ebay went for over $200 I believe (just the controller).

Also, these are pretty fun, famicom and super famicom controllers used with modems:

sfcmodem-pad.jpg

reotriximg600x452119150kz6.jpg

Edited by PsychedelicShaman
  • Like 2

Speaking of controllers I spotted a listing for brand new atari 2600 foot pedal. More than 10 available it says. How rare were the food pedals. And is it worth 20 bucks with free shipping??

I bought one of these. It is recommended for Stargate/Defender II that uses controller ports 1 and 2. I have not tried it with that game yet though.

gameboy_controller.jpg

I thought that this one was first-party, but it turns out that Hori makes it. Still awesome though, and I still want one real bad.

I have a couple of those Sony Dual Analog controllers. Bought one right when it came out because I read about it in PSM and thought it sounded cool. Those are great controllers if you have larger hands, as they're bigger than Dual Shocks. Found the other one a few years ago at a used game store. They didn't know it was any different from a Dual Shock and had it priced accordingly.

I also have a couple of the Dog Bone controllers. I love them, too. Not sure how rare they really are. Up until a few years ago you could still buy them directly from Nintendo. Not as common as the regular NES controller though, obviously.

What about that crazy Playstation dual flight stick thing? Dual Analog Joystick I think it's called.

Playstation-Dual-Analog-Joystick-Flight-Stick-1041428.jpg

gameboy_controller.jpg

I thought that this one was first-party, but it turns out that Hori makes it. Still awesome though, and I still want one real bad.

Wow, I have never seen that controller before. I want one as well! So, does that little switch in the middle allow for compatibility on an ntsc nes and a super famicom? That is what I am hoping.