IGNORED

New Atari 8-bit classics

Yautja

I am not sure if "ports" from the 80ies "Space Harrier", bomb Jack", ..) should/could get classics. But I am not a gamer after all.

For me "Crownland" is still an outstanding piece. The graphics look so awesome. However, for a classic game it might be too short. Even I have beat it on the 3rd or 5th try :(

"Her Dark Majesty" brought a new genre of games to the A8, a genre I like (from GBA games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactic Ogre, Advanced Wars, ....). But, I can only play it in emulator, cause it stops loading on my 800XL with different SIO devices :(

So we are left with "Ridiclious Reality" as I do not like puzzlers ("Marbled", ...) ;)

I did this post without really thinking about what the term "classic game" should mean. So my opinion might chance ;)

I am not sure if "ports" from the 80ies "Space Harrier", bomb Jack", ..) should/could get classics. But I am not a gamer after all.

I did this post without really thinking about what the term "classic game" should mean. So my opinion might chance ;)

I can see why you say it but to be honest even the new stuff are derivitives of the old stuff so would fall foul of the same ideal :)

I term classics more openly, a game so good and special that it appeals to many and gets played over and over, if that stands up for a certain period I'd call it a classic game.

There are of course what we would call instant classics such as many already chosen.

All I can say is that we as Atarians are stil very very lucky to have the continued choice we have although I still bemoan the idea of not releasing certain games as digital down loads (Tempest Xtreme etc, I'm talking about YOU)

I'd pay for them same as I do with some C64 stuff who have a more open stance on their game releases.

Edited by Mclaneinc

This brings up a good point and something I have been trying to get my head around for a while now. Where is kept a list or an archive of "Post Atari, Retail Quality" software and hardware for the A8. Clearly, "Space Harrier", "Yoomp!", "Ridiculous Reality", and recent "SpartaDOS X" releases meet the mark for software. "VBXE", "Incognito", and "MyIDE" might be examples of hardware that makes the cut.

If no such repository or information resource exists, I think I'll get to work right away on one. Anybody?

KazKompo best game of the year contest results:

Space Harrier

Marbled

Mighty Jill Off

His Dark Majesty

Ocean Detox

Dr. Mario

Kolony 2106

Nightshade

Ghastly Night

(Tempest Xtreem).

Bomb Jack