IGNORED

Source for manufacturing "Original" 8-bit cartridges?

JAC!

I know AtariAge can create "orignal" looking VCS carts (I order some myself already).

But I could not find a source where can I have a cart like this (with my own ROM content) reproduced:

$(KGrHqJ,!iYF!32gV)tNBQTFPm!O7w~~60_35.JPG

Any ideas?

I know AtariAge can create "orignal" looking VCS carts (I order some myself already).

But I could not find a source where can I have a cart like this (with my own ROM content) reproduced:

$(KGrHqJ,!iYF!32gV)tNBQTFPm!O7w~~60_35.JPG

Any ideas?

I don't know about the quantities available, but myatari.com lists cartridge shells/circuit boards. PRA062 circuit board uses 2 * 2764 EPROM chips for 16K software, one trace can be cut to make it compatible with 8K software on a single 2764. I would recommend this for 8K cartridges over PRA065 because 2764s should be easier to obtain, and also to program since many modern EPROM programmers can't handle 2532s.

PRA016 CASE 8-BIT CART ATARI 10.00

The is a brand new standard Atari brown plastic cartridge

case with cover. Cartridge not included. Fits below Atari

cartridge boards.

PRA067 PCB CART board for ATARI ROMs 3.00 for ROMs

PRA062 PCB CART board 16K for EPROMs W/SOCK 8.00 2-2764s

PRA065 PCB CART board 8K for EPROMs W/SOCK 9.00 2-2532s

• 2 weeks later...

I have designed a simpliest and cheapest 128/256k cartridge. This is bankswitching and I use this as simple filesystem cartridge (the game is loaded by xex loader in first bank, then xex file follows in the remaining banks).

They are produced in automatic pick-and-place and flow soldering process (no hand-job). The parts used are all smd.

The bankswitching scheme is: bits 0-4 of address D5xx (addresses D500-D51F) choose the bank (default 0) and setting bit 7 (access at >=d580) turns off the cartridge.

It is almost identical programatically (but the circuit is very different) to AtariMax 8 MB; however, it uses no GAL or PAL, only raw TTL-s and eprom 1MB or 2 MB (27c010 or 27c020) and some resistors and caps.

The "Ridiculous Reality" cartridge game is published on such cartridges.

Moreover, here in Poland we have still Atari 8-bit cartridge cases produced in two shapes and very cheap (0.5 Euro) and in two colours, and even if you want 1000 of them you can choose your own colour (for example transparent).

So, if you are interested, let's talk.

Edited by jhusak
  • Like 3

Hello jhusak

Do you have a picture of these cartridges? Are these cartridges made by injecting near liquid plastic into a mould? Are these injection moulded one at a time? If the latter is true, and we "bring" our own mould, in aluminum, would they be willing and able to make cartridges with this mould?

Sincerely

Mathy

I have designed a simpliest and cheapest 128/256k cartridge. This is bankswitching and I use this as simple filesystem cartridge (the game is loaded by xex loader in first bank, then xex file follows in the remaining banks).

They are produced in automatic pick-and-place and flow soldering process (no hand-job). The parts used are all smd.

The bankswitching scheme is: bits 0-4 of address D5xx (addresses D500-D51F) choose the bank (default 0) and setting bit 7 (access at >=d580) turns off the cartridge.

It is almost identical programatically (but the circuit is very different) to AtariMax 8 MB; however, it uses no GAL or PAL, only raw TTL-s and eprom 1MB or 2 MB (27c010 or 27c020) and some resistors and caps.

The "Ridiculous Reality" cartridge game is published on such cartridges.

Moreover, here in Poland we have still Atari 8-bit cartridge cases produced in two shapes and very cheap (0.5 Euro) and in two colours, and even if you want 1000 of them you can choose your own colour (for example transparent).

So, if you are interested, let's talk.

Looks very similar to Atari Max and Williams Bank Switching Schemes. Any way it can use XEGS bank switching? $A000 to $BFFF always mapped into memory, $8000 to $8FFF changing. Can either be writing to $D500 only or $D500 to $D51F. I like the XEGS because you have a section that never changes for your "Top Logic" and VBI and use the other banks for Data and callable routines. Can you plug in the XEGS control logic into your cart?

How is the quality on these cartridge boards if they are plugged and unplugged many times.

I think, that Kuba said about Z7 type: http://elektronika-s...3398,obudowa-z7

height-width-length: 19mm x68mm x90mm.

Do not know it is the same, but I was talking rather about:

http://maszczyk.pl/p...4/obudowy-km-20

height-width-length: 18mm x68mm x91mm.

See also KM-20B

They are not the same, but close.

It is too bad that both choices are a little too wide to fit into the 1200XL. :(

Edited by Defender II

They fit if force used. However, easier in than out. You can (for your use) pile it a little.

Atari 1200 XL was not popular in Poland due to incompatibility with some programs and they were not sold through official channels, so cartridge shell designers did not know about too narrow cartridge port in 1200XL.

Edited by jhusak

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Atari 8bit Carts are 2 1/2" wide x 3" long x 13/16" thick (inches). Metric Translated Measurements are 63.5mm wide x 76.2mm long x 20.6mm thick, Did someone use the 2600 Cartridge Specs? If we use those other specs, certainly will not fit into some cartridge slots. About 4 millimeters too wide. Different Carts will have the screw hole slightly different. I just plugged an older Cart into an 800XL and looks like it has just over 1 mm on each side, so if you go over 66mm, it probably wont fit or get stuck.

Looks like the Atari 8bit Carts are 2 1/2" wide x 3" long x 13/16" thick (inches). Metric Translated Measurements are 63.5mm wide x 76.2mm long x 20.6mm thick, Did someone use the 2600 Cartridge Specs? If we use those other specs, certainly will not fit into some cartridge slots. About 4 millimeters too wide. Different Carts will have the screw hole slightly different. I just plugged an older Cart into an 800XL and looks like it has just over 1 mm on each side, so if you go over 66mm, it probably wont fit or get stuck.

I have one of the KM20B cartridge cases. I was able to fit it in the 800XL slot. Not any wiggle room, but it does fit. Problem is the depth. It is about 2mm less than the original Atari Carts. That means surface mount only parts.

The HM cart seems to have the depth(22.86mm) and is the same length as the KM20/KM20B case, but it is much narrower at only 60.26mm. Have no clue as to how it fits in a 800XL slot etc. Has anyone any experience with the narrow width of it?

The KM-20 and KM-20B seem to a good fit. I am just questioning the width. Wonder how much extra work it would be to shave some of the plastic off the bottom sides with a sander / grinder / buffer. Probably just have to take off a quarter of a millimeter on each side.

A Belt Sander, Sanding Wheels, sandpaper would be ideal. I use to work for an Abrasive (grinding, cutting) Wheel Company and know they make fine grade ones for acrylics, ceramics, etc. Another company I worked for I buffed scratches out of plastic parts for refurbishing. So it is kinda funny this solution popped in my mind to resolve the problem of a plastic enclosure being slightly too wide.

Hey, you think like a real Pole :D

Sandpaper, file etc :)

You can order those cases with some milling. For example: "I want to thin this on sides by 0.5 mm on 3 cm distance". Probably a picture would be good.

You pay double or triple, but still it is a buck or two.

The 1200XL cartridge should be thinner on 4.5 cm across the edge.

Edited by jhusak

The Dragon IP board used a commercial enclosure - http://www.pactecenc...d=51&classid=27 - that's $3.94 (US) per case, cheaper than the Atari cases.

If someone designed a new board to fit the case, it might be cheaper.

Bad news. That case as manufactured is just a couple mm's too narrow to fit either the 800XL or 1200XL slot. I ordered 5 and got them in today. Tried on both atari's and was deflated. The height is perfect for socketed chips. :mad: Just not quite wide enough to go around the slot.

• 3 years later...