IGNORED

X-Arcade Dual Joystick $70 shipped/Tankstick $150 shipped!

Oh cool, you can even get adapters for 6th, 7th & the only 8th generation game console. I guess the adapters remap the buttons to make the stick compatible. This would be great especially for modded Wii and original Xbox which can have MAME on them.

Yep, what I like is that even though the XBOX 360 adapter is $60, you also get the 5-in-1 adapter that's $20 with it:

Also Includes Complete 5in1 Adapter And Cables For 2 Players On Xbox 360, Wii, PS1, PS2, Gamecube and Dreamcast

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I purchased a standard dual stick thanks to this thread! :)

I just built a basic emulation PC and was going to use my 360 Hori arcade stick, but the price on the dual stick was too good to resist. I wanted to swing for the tank stick with the trackball and pinball buttons, but I don't think I can justify the cost of it (it's still to be seen how much I actually use this emulation PC). Still, for $70 on the regular dual stick, it's an excellent deal!

I have a Tankstick with trackball. Best arcade stick I have ever used. The trackball is great and it is a plug n play item. Just configure your emulators' button assignments and go. The lifetime warranty sold me on this at full price last year. This is a great deal!

Never give mine up! :)

Thanks for posting this. I picked one up a couple of hours before the deadline. I was thinking about it all weekend, and at one point the price jumped up to $65 for the Dual, then went back down to $60. Not sure if anyone else saw that. Today, the price is back to $110 (shipped) for the Dual, $170 for the Tankstick.

Edited by boxpressed

In all honesty, the X-Arcades are just for people who don't know any better.

For one thing all the parts are Happ or Happ equivalent, which are low on the totem pole of arcade quality parts. Only Midway and other low grade cabinets would ever use them back in the days of the arcades. They get the job done, but anyone who knows anything about arcade parts would never use them.

All told, there is maybe $30 worth of parts put into the sticks that they are selling for $99. If you're going to be spending $100 on an arcade stick, you might as well go all out and get something with Sanwa Denshi or Semetsu parts which are not only much higher quality but will also last much longer as well.

It's cool that the Xarcade sticks work with a lot of consoles, but it's done through controller adapters that are all sold separately in addition to the cost of the sticks.

All in all, the X-Arcade sticks are way overpriced for what they are. Even if the prices were cut in half it would still be hard to recommend them. Happ just is an inferior choice.

• Like 1

I think it looks awesome, but I am kind of bummed that they don't have a model with a spinner for tempest. I suppose the tracball could work.. Any thoughts, or is this stick too good to worry about that?

I use my DualStick (no trakball) with Tempest on PS2 Atari Anthology, works like a charm for me. IIRC you can change the joystick sensitivity to your liking.

Edited by RJ

All told, there is maybe $30 worth of parts put into the sticks that they are selling for $99.

Which would be how the company makes money...

...parts which are not only much higher quality but will also last much longer as well.

Which doesn't matter since the X-Arcade products have a lifetime guarantee.

• Like 2

Well of course. They look to make money same as anyone. Nothing wrong with that. I'm merely pointing out that their "high end materials" are actually low grade arcade parts. It's all just cleaver marketing to make a mountain out of a molehill to attract those gamers who are casually interested in getting an arcade stick and don't do their research.

As for the lifetime garuntee, that's a nice gesture on their part, no question. They could easily not offer that.

But again, why would you replace broken happ parts with more happ parts a second time? Again, this is for people who don't know any better. happ parts are rated for about 10 years of use before replacing, but sanwa parts for example will easily last double or even triple that.

I'm not anti Happ. Happ make arcade quality buttons that are leagues better than unbranded ones and the low grade Hori buttons put in $40 arcade sticks. But it's just entry level materials. Once you experience an arcade stick made by Sanwa or Sumetsu, it's hard to see Happ as anything but the low cost, low grade alternatives they are.

All told, there is maybe $30 worth of parts put into the sticks that they are selling for $99. If you're going to be spending $100 on an arcade stick, you might as well go all out and get something with Sanwa Denshi or Semetsu parts which are not only much higher quality but will also last much longer as well.

Show me another joystick on the market with Sanwa/Semetsu parts at this price point. Such a product would normally sell for $200+ and that's for a single joystick.

• Like 1

Well of course. They look to make money same as anyone. Nothing wrong with that. I'm merely pointing out that their "high end materials" are actually low grade arcade parts. It's all just cleaver marketing to make a mountain out of a molehill to attract those gamers who are casually interested in getting an arcade stick and don't do their research.

I'll speak for myself, which is advice that's served me pretty well. :)

I actually did do my research and am also a casual gamer. The two are not mutually exclusive. I've known for a long time that the X-Arcade does not use top-of-the-line parts, but I also know that the parts are pretty good and much better than those in other production arcade sticks. For $70 shipped, I bought it to play 80s MAME games and not super-intensive fighting games. I expect it will be great for that purpose. Whether X-Gaming is misleading customers is another question altogether, but not everyone who buys one of these sticks is ignorant. We buy it for the same reason we buy Hondas instead of BMWs.

• Like 2

Looks like the sale ended but they're showing the Tankstick at $169 right now. Still not too late! :)

@Satoshi - I get where you're coming from but if I could honestly build it myself I would have. I can't drive a nail right without killing 3 of them first. I can put together any computer you want using parts and such but wiring and crafting are way over my head. This works for me. :)

Thanks a lot for posting this, jerk. Now I'm out $150. :)

Anytime:D

I used their buttons in a mame arcade back in college, and they served our needs very well. The ability to play on consoles is pretty awesome. If you had a Battlestation II and one of these with all of the attachments (around $100), you would have dual arcade sticks for virtually every major console barring the N64 and Saturn. At $70, I can't see this being a poor deal even if it doesn't have joysticks/buttons of the highest quality.

• Like 1

That sounds like a really good idea... I haven't read your article yet, but is there any necessity for two spinners? I believe Tron and Front Line could use the spinner, but aren't they one player at a time?

Sure... most arcade titles needing a spinner alternate players, but having 2 spinners is great for Stella and 2600 emulation ;)

In all honesty, the X-Arcades are just for people who don't know any better.

Right. It's something that you'd have to put together yourself. you could easily do it as the cost of materials would be around the same price. Making an arcade stick isn't really as difficult as you might think. Just a box with some holes and wires soldered inside to whatever pcb or pcbs you want to use.

It would be very difficult to build something equivalent to an X-Arcade Dual Joystick at that sale price, let alone better. Controls, USB controllers, cabinet materials, finishing materials, adhesive and fasteners, T-molding, and wiring for $70? Then add the time to assemble it?

Even at the regular price, it's an easy trade-off: several hours of my time to construct something versus $30-35 profit to X-Gaming for them to provide me with a finished product. That's not a difficult decision for me to make.

I've had multiple X-Arcades over the years, eventually ending up with the Tankstick. Even if the controls are not the best on the market, I haven't had a single problem with any of the ones I've owned in a decade. When one of the plastic feet cracked, they sent me a set of new ones free of charge.

It's not like I'm stuck with the included controls, either. If I felt the need, I could easily upgrade them to premium sticks and buttons. I haven't needed to. Everything works and I am happy with the product, as I suspect the others here will be when they receive theirs.

Edited by akator