IGNORED

SDX on cart access Clock on U1MB?

Frankie

Why? Well why not. I thought if I had loaded ULTIME.SYS that sdx running on a cart could access the real time clock on the U1MB board. Ufortunetly i get an error that says the clock is not present. If SDX is disabled on the board does that disable access to the clock?

Frank

Are you 100% sure you also loaded the driver on your SDX cart?

First I only had the 'ultime.sys' in my config.sys... which resulted in the same error.

But you also need the ultime.sys driver on your (external) SDX cart.

I did not try it anymore later, but I concluded that that was the fault.

Since the clock is available when SDX is disabled, I guess it should also work without SDX. I wrote last year a small tool like 'apetime' which could download time/date from the Ultimate 1MB RTC into SpartaDos 3.x (disk version); so that 'proves' that the clock is available without SDX.

• Like 3

so that 'proves' that the clock is available without SDX.

Yes it is, here's a tool, AspeCl, (which is part of AspeQt) to download the Date/Time (and more) through SIO2PC. Documentation for the tool can be found in AspeQt manual. Works with SpartaDos 2.x, 3.x and SDX.... Also, typing ASPECL without command line parameters displays a usage screen. And the tool is only compatible with AspeQt, won't work with APE

AspeCl.zip

Edited by atari8warez

Hey A8w,

Hmmm your response is not fitting to what I meant to say.

The Topic Starter can't get the RTC working from his Ultimate1MB on his (customized) SDX cart. He is using another SDX cart, instead of the built-in SDX of the Ultimate 1MB. TS asks: is the Real Time Clock of the Ultimate 1MB disabled as soon as SDX is disabled.

I answered: no, I wrote a tool to download time/date from the Ultimate RTC, which works great when SDX on the Ultimate 1MB is disabled; so that's what I meant: it proves that the Clock from Ultimate 1MB works even without SDX.

Then you come with that tool... which is great btw (don't get me wrong!) but it is not the issue we are discussing here.

I upgraded my cart to 4.46 and I no longer get that error message when loading ULTIME.SYS

Unfortunately though, the clock is still not set correctly. Very strange.

Have you tried to type TIME and enter the correct time.

And then type DATE and enter the correct date.

Or use the AspeCL TS program suggested above with ASPEQT open on PC.

Yes I have set the correct time after SDX came up, but as soon as I restart (using COLD) the time resets to some default date : 01-25-06, 20:14:57

I nearly suggested trying a different driver version. What kind of cartridge is SDX actually booting from? I wonder about any decoding conflicts in the hardware, although this seems highly unlikely.

You're right Marius, Aspecl needs a clock driver, won't directly access the clock like your tool does.... sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the problem at hand... :)

Although I would have thought that ULTIME.SYS should be able to access the clock in the U1MB board even if it's loaded from a different SDX cart, but can't be sure since I don't have SDX other than the one in the U1MB.

Edited by atari8warez

• 4 years later...

Are you 100% sure you also loaded the driver on your SDX cart?

First I only had the 'ultime.sys' in my config.sys... which resulted in the same error.

But you also need the ultime.sys driver on your (external) SDX cart.

I did not try it anymore later, but I concluded that that was the fault.

Since the clock is available when SDX is disabled, I guess it should also work without SDX. I wrote last year a small tool like 'apetime' which could download time/date from the Ultimate 1MB RTC into SpartaDos 3.x (disk version); so that 'proves' that the clock is available without SDX.

Where is this tool? I need to get SpartaDOS 3 to read the Incognito clock.

• Like 1