IGNORED

Game.com screen lines?

So i just got a working Game.com from a thrift store for $2.42 on Thursday :-D (Sweet right?),and when i fired it up,everything was in working order.On Friday and earlier today while i was playing Duke nukem 3D and Lights out(it came with It) everything was still in working order.Now earlier today around an hour to an hour 35 minutes ago i was playing Duke Nukem and there was no signs of screen lines(or the coming of screen lines)and after playing it for about 10-15 minutes i turned it off.After turning it off,around 30 minutes later i put in on one of my easels(to display it)and when i turned it on,a screen line appeared.Is there a way to fix or what?.I can see if when i brought the Game.com,it had the screen line or after having it for months it developed the screen line but for me to have the Game.com for only 3 days and showing no signs of screen lines and after playing a game,30 minutes later it develops just is weird.

These units suffer from the same issue as the game gear (missing scan lines, or pixel row), the gameboy also had these issues, Even the virtual boy. The cable that connects the screen to the motherboard will eventually start to lose connection to the screen. The glue holding the cable on the screens contacts losses it bond. Sometimes applying a little bit of heat (from a soldering iron) and pressure (not by the soldiering iron) where the cable connects to the screen can solve the issue, but you can damage the system if not done right.

My gamegear had this issue which I corrected by the above method. My first generation game.com had the same issue but way worse, I to corrected this with the above method, I'm not sure how the screen is connected on other models of game.com.

And no, its not caused by dirt in/on the carts contacts. If that was the case they would refuse to boot, or show a garbled mess on the screen.

showing the gamegear screen issue, he is applying heat to the contact area on the screen. Edited by madmax2069

• 4 years later...

I came across a Game.com in a storage box, where it had been dumped primarily because the screen was totally unreadable. Having nothing to lose, I did a 300 degrees soldering iron drag on the left-side plastic connector, and all but one of the horizontal lines disappeared. I should have quit while I was ahead, because attempting the same fix on the vertical column missing lines only resulted in further damage. I wish I had taken a "before" picture, at least now the system is somewhat usable.

WP 20171022 001

Many older LCD devices suffer the "lines" problem. Some have a zebra strip that's just squishy rubber stuff and cause lines as it deteriorates. Others use a ribbon cable connector, that as near as I can tell, is just glued to the mobo, causing lines as it turns loose, like game.com. the pocket and pro versions are hooked up the same way, but seem better built.

You can use a piece of rubber to hold the cable to the board, I've done this to other handhelds and it works good, you can use a heated piece of metal to iron the ribbon down, I've had varying degrees of success here, but you can permanently damage it too.

My first game.com got lines recently, and I fixed it with some hobby foam pieces, then it got jacked so I use a different system now. Kind of weird using a new 20 year old system, but if it lasts as well as my last one, I likely won't have to repair it for a decade+.

Many older LCD devices suffer the "lines" problem. Some have a zebra strip that's just squishy rubber stuff and cause lines as it deteriorates. Others use a ribbon cable connector, that as near as I can tell, is just glued to the mobo, causing lines as it turns loose, like game.com. the pocket and pro versions are hooked up the same way, but seem better built.

You can use a piece of rubber to hold the cable to the board, I've done this to other handhelds and it works good, you can use a heated piece of metal to iron the ribbon down, I've had varying degrees of success here, but you can permanently damage it too.

My first game.com got lines recently, and I fixed it with some hobby foam pieces, then it got jacked so I use a different system now. Kind of weird using a new 20 year old system, but if it lasts as well as my last one, I likely won't have to repair it for a decade+.

I have a Game.com Pro system that also suffers from vertical line problems - several thin lines and one maybe 1/16th of an inch. How hard is it to open the system and try the remedy you mentioned above? I prefer the remedy that does not require using a heated piece of metal or a soldering iron. Could a hair dryer be used to soften the glue on the cable? Thanks.

Within the last year, I bought a new Game.com (one of the blister packed versions) with several games. Right out of the package, I had a horizontal line in the screen. Seems inevitable. :(

I may try opening it up and putting in a piece of rubber like Video suggests. Right now, with it only being one line, it doesn't really bother me, but I'm sure I'll eventually have more.

Its not hard to take apart, just a few screws, but no locking tabs or anything like that. The inside is pretty barren, just the board with an epoxyblob chip and the various plugs and pots.that thing is pretty empty inside, if you could find an appropriately sized screen, I bet the case would make a decent donor for a diy rpie console.

The foam I used comes in paper sized sheets at Walmart or a local hobby shop. You just cut it about the size of the connector and layer them till they will provide a slight but of pressure when you reassemble it. I did this with my original GB too when its screen was crapping out. At least the game.com has standard screws, instead of those weird try wing security screws.

• Like 1

Its not hard to take apart, just a few screws, but no locking tabs or anything like that. The inside is pretty barren, just the board with an epoxyblob chip and the various plugs and pots.that thing is pretty empty inside, if you could find an appropriately sized screen, I bet the case would make a decent donor for a diy rpie console.

The foam I used comes in paper sized sheets at Walmart or a local hobby shop. You just cut it about the size of the connector and layer them till they will provide a slight but of pressure when you reassemble it. I did this with my original GB too when its screen was crapping out. At least the game.com has standard screws, instead of those weird try wing security screws.

I'll give it a try this weekend. What have I got to lose except maybe some vertical lines on the screen.

• 2 years later...

It's pretty universally hated as a console, so I doubt anyone has ever tried. :D would be cool, if you could bypass that quad scan shader thing that causes the movement to break up so badly...Not that the system has a huge selection of awesome games anyways. I like duke nukem and resident evil, but I'm weird, and never expected it to be  even remotely a gb replacement.