IGNORED

LCD TV Menu Improvement?

colonelsnow

Load up Space Rocks - it uses a non-flickered small font for the menu, and a flickered small font in the easter egg.

To access the easter egg:

using 2 joysticks, hold down the right joystick's fire button then hit the left joystick's fire button

If you can't see the menu well then your TV has a problem resolving small detail.

If you see the menu OK but not the easter egg text then your TV doesn't correctly display objects that are flickering at 30 Hz. Besides text, that could lead to problems with other games, such as Space Invaders which flicker all the shots at 30 Hz.

Edited by SpiceWare

Load up Space Rocks - it uses a non-flickered small font for the menu, and a flickered small font in the easter egg.

To access the easter egg:

using 2 joysticks, hold down the right joystick's fire button then hit the left joystick's fire button

If you can't see the menu well then your TV has a problem resolving small detail.

If you see the menu OK but not the easter egg text then your TV doesn't correctly display objects that are flickering at 30 Hz. Besides text, that could lead to problems with other games, such as Space Invaders which flicker all the shots at 30 Hz.

Thanks for that suggestion. The main menu is not clear on Space Rocks. I took my 2600 to a friends house who has a CRT and the result is the same. I guess I either have a bad Harmony or a faulty compisite mod on my 2600

Thanks. I tried that and the Activision logo is much more clear. There must be something wrong with the Harmony.

You did try the same Activision game on the Harmony, right? Because I can't conceive of anything that could cause a display issue on Harmony but not the same cart.

Then it must be the flicker, which your hardware doesn't like.

You could try Stellar Track and check if the text there is badly readably there too.

BTW: Can you post a picture?

Here are two pictures. One is of the menu and one is of Space Rocks. The menu actually looks a little better in this picture than it does on the TV. Maybe I am being unrealistic about how clear the lettering will be?

http://img.auctiva.c...642914403_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/5/1/4/3/0/webimg/642914378_o.jpg

Edited by colonelsnow

I don't think you have a bad cart. What you are seeing is the combination of limitations of a console that was designed in 1977, that was never intended to display 24-column text on screen in the first place. These will look worse on a modern television that doesn't like to display 30 Hz flickering. There's nothing we can do to improve the appearance of the menu - the 2600 is basically already stretched to the limit to get 24 columns on there.

As to why the Activision logo looks better - I will say it's high contrast and lack of flickering (it's only a few characters, not 24, so none needed.)

So I guess if you're unsatisfied with the menu readability, you can return the cart for a full refund. There's not much else I can do. Sorry.

I don't think you have a bad cart. What you are seeing is the combination of limitations of a console that was designed in 1977, that was never intended to display 24-column text on screen in the first place. These will look worse on a modern television that doesn't like to display 30 Hz flickering. There's nothing we can do to improve the appearance of the menu - the 2600 is basically already stretched to the limit to get 24 columns on there.

As to why the Activision logo looks better - I will say it's high contrast and lack of flickering (it's only a few characters, not 24, so none needed.)

So I guess if you're unsatisfied with the menu readability, you can return the cart for a full refund. There's not much else I can do. Sorry.

I love the cart. I just wanted to make the menu display better if possible. Did you look at the photos that I posted earlier in the thread? Is the menu pretty much how you would expect it to look? I just want to also rule out my 2600 having an issue.

That's how it looks on my plasma TV. My plasma hates the flickering and I've not been able to get it to display both frames in a more readable manner. It is infinitely more readable on my old commodore 1084 monitor, though, so that's my preferred method of playing.

How are you connecting the 2600 to the TV? The method you use can have a big effect on quality of fine details.

Top quality is usually had through a video mod with s-video out, but even a video mod with composite is dramatically better for details than an rf box.

The 2nd picture clearly shows, that your TV doesn't melt together two consecutive frames (like CRT do). So there is no phosphor effect at all. Maybe there is a setting in your TV menu which enables this effect somehow. You should try to play wilth those options.

Else I am afraid there is not much we or you can do (besides buying a different TV ;)).

The 2nd picture clearly shows, that your TV doesn't melt together two consecutive frames (like CRT do). So there is no phosphor effect at all. Maybe there is a setting in your TV menu which enables this effect somehow. You should try to play wilth those options.

Else I am afraid there is not much we or you can do (besides buying a different TV ;)).

The only thing that puzzles me is the picture was nearly identical when I hooked up to a CRT.

The only thing that puzzles me is the picture was nearly identical when I hooked up to a CRT.

Do a better composite mod or S-Video mod.

I have had great results with the "Transistor and resistors" mod as well as longhorn's and batari's S-video boards in 2600s 7800s and Sega Genesis.

• Like 1

I have had great results with the "Transistor and resistors" mod as well as longhorn's and batari's S-video boards in 2600s 7800s and Sega Genesis.

what is this transistor and resistor mod

what is this transistor and resistor mod

Found it :) : http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/127926-easier-7800-composite-video-mod/#entry1543881

For composite on 7800. Cost $0. Found all the parts in my scrap box!

Edited by iesposta