IGNORED

Atari 400 won't load discs after upgrade

CThiesUGP

HI

I recently upgraded a 400 to 48k using the 48k expansion kit. After installation I did the memory check with the Basic cartridge which checked out fine 37902, Cartridges work fine, but discs won't load completely and they work fine in my 800xl so it's not the discs or the drive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Define what you mean by they don't work, do they load and then crash, does the drive start etc etc

You will get better help with more info..

I presume you took the BASIC cart out to boot them as a test?

Could be duff ram that the self test isn't picking up...I also presume you have checked the uprade...

Edited by Mclaneinc

So the disc drive is working, it reads in data, but when your game gets to a certain point it crashes. Did the game work on the 400 when it was only 16k?

Carts use less ram, guessing this game is hitting bad ram. I'm not an authority. I'd say find a ram test and run it on the 400. Maybe some/all of the ram on the new board is bad.

I tried several emulated scenario's and can't find a way to repeat your issue, Altirra is pretty damn good at emulating the hardware and I've tried OSA, OSB, 48K, with and without BASIC in and none of them repeat what you said so my guess is a dodgy ram?

Was this an upgrade card you built yourself?