IGNORED

Thumb on top, or firm grip?

Unbeliever

The reason for this post is to try and find a more comfortable way for me to play for extended periods. The "thumb on top" method isn't working out as well as it used to. Thumb constantly "cracks" and that drives me nuts. Thanks for the posts so far. Keep 'em coming (I know, you can only discuss this so far. How about some illustrations?)
:D

From what I remember from the "olden days", this is the way I used to always play Atari, with the thumb on top of the stick. I tried the "pure grip" method last night and felt uncomfortable playing Ms. Pacman for about 20 minutes. Does anyone else have a different method, depending on what game they play?

I don't know, I don't really think about it. I think I sort of lightly pinch the stick between my thumb and index finger somewhere between the middle and the top. I prefer table-mounted so I can press the fire button with my left index finger, otherwise it's the thumb.

• Like 1

Guys, what exactly is the pen method?

Well...

I hold it like I hold a pen and control it like I'm writing.

My controller of choice as well.. I use something of a modified 'pen grip'. Between my thumb and index finger.

In my case, I hold it just like I hold a pen -- thumb on one side, index a middle fingers on the other.

Thumb on top for me.

My wife says she always played with a conventional "joystick grip." My kids, including my 5-year-olds who had never played until a couple of weeks ago, automatically gripped the whole stick as well.

I feel some redemption from all the thumbers here. I was starting to think I was alone.

Guys, what exactly is the pen method?

You take your three fingers and grip the base of the stick like you are holding a pen(it is like turning the stick into a stationary stylus). Then you move your character around as if you are drawing. For an example, in PAC-MAN games it is only necessary to tap the stick in the direction of a turn and the rest of the time the stick can be centered but I always hold it in the direction I am going. I do this because I am drawing in the maze and like crayons, I'm trying to stay in the lines. It makes the controls more accurate for me because it is a skill I already use.

I have never understood how someone could effectively control by gripping like a flight stick. It puts most of the movements in bending your wrist instead of moving your arm. Even without a stick, if I move my wrist around in front of me, there is more discomfort and slower movements than if I moved my arm around like I was controlling a mouse. If I move my wrist around in circles as fast as I can it is painful and slow but if I move my hand in circles using my arm it isn't painful at all and super fast.

I prefer the StarFighter. It is perfect for holding like a pen, has all the internals of a TAC-2, and could probably even survive Decathlon.