IGNORED

Playstation 4

Mendon

I see gaming sites and the Wall Street Journal are reporting that a live marketing event will be held by Sony on Feb. 20th to reportedly announce and show the Playstation 4 system.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/01/wsj-playstation-4-will-launch-this-year/

I like the sentence that the system ".....will reportedly incorporate more social gaming aspects into the device and was driven in its design by how people interact with the unit, rather than by hardware upgrades." Hmmm..... more app's, less horsepower than expected?????

I'm hoping it uses a proprietary storage medium.

I heard it's going to use the new Maxi-MegaDisc (MMD), which is essentially blu-ray encased in the most fragile plastic that can be bought, with a matched "first-purchase verification" solution (likely be rfid based) attached. This, coupled with the system's built-in GPS and always-on network connection should ensure that customers don't accidently loan games to their friends.

From Sony:

Libraries, video stores and used game shops are the largest fronts in our war against piracy which cost Sony's playstation brand an estimated $6.9 Trillion US dollars a year. It's time we get tough with piracy and start taking in the money we are due.

The system can also reportedly sense when a customer attempts to unscrew or otherwise open the case, voiding the warranty and cutting the power to the 'suicide storage' containing the system's firmware.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 5

According to this its hardware is better than the next Xbox:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Which means my PC is better than both of them.

I love PC gaming. I wouldn't change it for the world right now.

Still interested in the next consoles though cause I'm a gamer. I love games to the point where I do stupid things like buy the same game for different platforms and spend money on figures for Skylanders.

And yes I may redownload a few VC games on the Wii U when I get one. Games I already have on my Wii.

:skull:

Oh and whats this...Steambox??

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/147260-valve-the-steam-boxs-biggest-threat-is-apple-tv-not-next-gen-consoles-from-sony-or-microsoft

From Sony:

Libraries, video stores and used game shops are the largest fronts in our war against piracy which cost Sony's playstation brand an estimated $6.9 Trillion US dollars a year. It's time we get tough with piracy and start taking in the money we are due.

Is this a real quote? If so, this is interesting. This if the first quote I've seen from a console maker that directly points the finger at libraries. Many libraries have game collections (including my local system), but I didn't know it had attracted the attention of hardware developers. 6.9 trillion USD? That number seems way too large to be real. I love how they cite libraries, video stores and used game shops as partaking in piracy. Have these people never heard of the First Sale Doctrine? It's been legal to resell/lend the property you bought since forever. You sold that copy, you're done getting money from it. Just because I choose to play someone else's copy (which they paid for and you got money for) doesn't mean you are entitled to anything else.

• Like 1

Is this a real quote? If so, this is interesting. This if the first quote I've seen from a console maker that directly points the finger at libraries. Many libraries have game collections (including my local system), but I didn't know it had attracted the attention of hardware developers. 6.9 trillion USD? That number seems way too large to be real. I love how they cite libraries, video stores and used game shops as partaking in piracy. Have these people never heard of the First Sale Doctrine? It's been legal to resell/lend the property you bought since forever. You sold that copy, you're done getting money from it. Just because I choose to play someone else's copy (which they paid for and you got money for) doesn't mean you are entitled to anything else.

It's a fake quote intended to be funny because it has a grain of truth.

• Like 2

It's a fake quote intended to be funny because it has a grain of truth.

Wow. There is so much truth behind that "quote" that I was fooled into thinking it might actually have been a real statement from them. That just shows how broken the gaming environment is right now.

• Like 3

Is this a real quote? If so, this is interesting.

I'm probably not going to be putting out any legitimate information in this thread. It's just too much fun to stop. If you were confused, that's just telling me that I wasn't going quite far enough, so:

Here at Sony, we're sick of pirates, hackers and thieves hiding behind their "first sale doctrine." To be clear, nobody has ever 'bought' anything from Sony. We've previously been kind enough to allow customers to store and maintain eqipment and media licensed from our company in their own homes, but that era comes to an end with Sony's revolutionary new Playstation 4 (PS4). Playstation 4 isn't just a about the latest gaming technology, it's also a whole new business model, never previously seen, and one that we think you will agree is a real winner.

This business model is different in that instead of being available at stores at launch, and brought home, Playstation 4 will launch worldwide on September 27th, 2013 at over 1500 "Playstation Centers." These "Playstation Centers" will contain all of the hardware, games and peripherals needed for a top-notch gaming experience all in a single public location with music and refreshments. Customers will be able to convert standard currency into non-refundable "PS Tokens," used by the games and accepted at any and all of these "Playstation Centers" around the world.

Finally, all gamers will have one-stop access to not only the hottest new games, but they will be able to play them the way they were intended to be enjoyed--on 4k, 3d, HDTV's at up to 13' in size. We cannot wait to see you and all your friends at the worldwide grand opening this September.

In another recent press conference referencing this new business model, Sony has announced 'Sony GreenTek.' A technology recycling initiative aimed at lowering Sony's carbon footprint by converting their obsolete technology into materials which can be easily reused. As the first step in this new direction, Sony has demanded the immediate return of 800,000 Betamax players licensed to users between 1977 and 1986. They report that by opening up the packaging, their customers all knowingly agreed to return Sony's hardware if needed, and were forbidden to resell or destroy them or face a penalty of up to 1/2 original MSRP.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I see gaming sites and the Wall Street Journal are reporting that a live marketing event will be held by Sony on Feb. 20th to reportedly announce and show the Playstation 4 system.

http://www.joystiq.c...unch-this-year/

I like the sentence that the system ".....will reportedly incorporate more social gaming aspects into the device and was driven in its design by how people interact with the unit, rather than by hardware upgrades." Hmmm..... more app's, less horsepower than expected?????

No, it's going to have very powerful components compared to the current gen of consoles. I think they just meant that instead of simply relying on better hardware upgrades with each new console, Sony instead is going to freshen up their approach. The PS4 is going to be easier to develop more, supposedly. The PS3 was hard to develop for. And the PS4 is going to have an AMD x86 CPU, so it will be like developing for PC's. I prefer PC gaming, so hopefully this means that more great titles will be made for PC.

I pretty much agree with that article, too.

The only thing I'll miss about the passing of the "Gamestop" era is the passing of OWNING your game. Owning means pulling your copy out of the closet and playing on your console, your spare console, the console you just bought from Ebay, your friend's console, etc. Those days are DEFINITELY almost over.

The only people who object are retrogamers; the mass population has zero interest in playing old games anyway, so it doesn't matter. Like most retrogamers, I tend to over-estimate the numbers (and therefore the appeal of manufacturers catering to this group) of retrogamers, and tend to make a big deal about it. The younger kids next door? They laugh at Grandpa, who wants to play a 3-year old (30 year old) game, and THEY are where the dollars are, in the gaming market.

The only people who object are retrogamers; the mass population has zero interest in playing old games anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I'm sure movie or music collectors aren't happy about everything they love leaning towards digital and streaming. However I'm thrilled that now I don't have to store all those goddamn CDs and DVDs--so I guess I can understand that we 'might' be in the extreme minority on this one. ;)

The only people who object are retrogamers; the mass population has zero interest in playing old games anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I'm sure there will be a new generation of retrogamers who will wish that they could own the stuff that they enjoyed in previous generations when physical copies of them no longer exist and the servers that provide the previous generation systems with those games are no longer up and running.

Don't try to speak for "the mass population" when you obviously can't see the individual trees in the forest and don't own a crystal ball to look into the future of videogaming.

Edited by Vic George 2K3
  • Like 2

I'm sure there will be a new generation of retrogamers who will wish that they could own the stuff that they enjoyed in previous generations when physical copies of them no longer exist and the servers that provide the previous generation systems with those games are no longer up and running.

Don't try to speak for "the mass population" when you obviously can't see the individual trees in the forest and don't own a crystal ball to look into the future of videogaming.

Fair enough. Although it seems you are doing the same thing, above.

I'm done with physical media for the most part. I don't have the room. If I had infinite space I would be all for physical copies but at this point it's not possible with me.

My beef with Sony and quite possibly Microsoft is not being able to play CURRENT digital downloads on the new consoles. Thats bad. Very bad.