IGNORED

Super Game Cartridge

opcode

Can or does the AtariSoft version of Galaxian need any further improvement? ;) But you are right, that would be a nice collection of games to have on one cart and Opcode'ized.

I watched a YouTube video of Gaplus this morning. That game would be a nightmare to program on the CV... :|

Hey Opcode, I hope you can publish information about using the programmable memory inside these new carts.

It would be great to preserve high-scores and other big data :)

Unfortunately I won't publish information openly for reasons you can read about in posts here circa 2010, but I can surely disclose the details on a person by person basis, you included.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

does SGC use battery backed NVRAM or something else for saving?

It uses EEPROM, with data retention of 100 years and endurance of 1 million write cycles (what means you should be able to play the game 1 million times on average before the EEPROM fails). Hope that is enough to keep you entertained for a while... :)

• Like 2

It uses EEPROM, with data retention of 100 years and endurance of 1 million write cycles (what means you should be able to play the game 1 million times on average before the EEPROM fails). Hope that is enough to keep you entertained for a while... :)

100 years is fine for mere mortals, but what about those of us who plan to live forever?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Suggestion for save memory feature when programming Super Game Cartridges

** A master reset code for the save game feature would be ideal. **

These Super Game Cartridges that can hold up to 8MB size games is an awesome cartridge design. If any game developer does decide to make new videogames with the Hall of Fame save memory feature and/or the game save feature, it would be ideal if there were a factory reset code one could enter to erase the names, scores, and any saved games. For example if on the Hall of Fame screen if one entered the code “12345#” on the Coleco controller then all the names, scores, and saved games could be erased.

There are benefits of being able to erase the save memory area of the Super Game Cartridge with a master code. One might want to sell the game cartridge to someone in the original factory condition with no saved memory, or one might want to erase all the names and high scores for various reasons. That’s one feature I missed on the Coleco Adam Supergames on disk, there was no way to erase the Hall of Fame screen (except for erasing the entire disk image with a third party utility and recopying the disk image, or using File Manager block edit feature to manually erase the Hall of Fame screen).

Edited by HDTV1080P

These Super Game Cartridges that can hold up to 8MB size games is an awesome cartridge design. If any game developer does decide to make new videogames with the Hall of Fame save memory feature and/or the game save feature, it would be ideal if there were a factory reset code one could enter to erase the names, scores, and any saved games. For example if on the Hall of Fame screen if one entered the code “12345#” on the Coleco controller then all the names, scores, and saved games could be erased.

There are benefits of being able to erase the save memory area of the Super Game Cartridge with a master code. One might want to sell the game cartridge to someone in the original factory condition with no saved memory, or one might want to erase all the names and high scores for various reasons. That’s one feature I missed on the Coleco Adam Supergames on disk, there was no way to erase the Hall of Fame screen (except for erasing the entire disk image with a third party utility and recopying the disk image, or using File Manager block edit feature to manually erase the Hall of Fame screen).

I second that suggestion .

"There are benefits of being able to erase the save memory area of the Super Game Cartridge with a master code. One might want to sell the game cartridge to someone in the original factory condition with no saved memory, or one might want to erase all the names and high scores for various reasons. That’s one feature I missed on the Coleco Adam Supergames on disk, there was no way to erase the Hall of Fame screen (except for erasing the entire disk image with a third party utility and recopying the disk image, or using File Manager block edit feature to manually erase the Hall of Fame screen). "

You can erase the HOF screen by pressing 989 on the Hall Of Fame screen. At least you can on most of them.

:? There really is no way to erase the names stored in the ADAM Super Game Hall of Fames??? :?

That's odd, because in the instruction manuals, Coleco states that if you press 9 and then 8 and then 9 again on the controller keypad at the Hall of Fame score listing screen, it will erase all the names and then take you back to the name entry screen.

Don't rely on my word or the fact that I have been using this game function for years, just check the manual and understand what you are reading.

EDIT: Aside from that, I agree that any games that are supplied on the Super Game Cartridge PCB should include an option to wipe saved scores and saved games.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

I do not want opportunity to delete high score on the upcoming new Super Cartridge.

I say, a high score is the ultimate proof that, you have achieved what you so desperately battled your way to.

Maybe I can see a benefit in connection with a resale. :)

I do not want opportunity to delete high score on the upcoming new Super Cartridge.

I say, a high score is the ultimate proof that, you have achieved what you so desperately battled your way to.

Maybe I can see a benefit in connection with a resale. :)

George Costanza agrees with you.

Thanks ChuckH and NIAD for the 989 information. I either forgot about that Coleco factory reset feature for the Hall of Fame screen or never knew about it. Did every Coleco Adam Supergame have the 989 factory reset feature or was it only the later Supergames? If Buck Rodgers has the 989 factory reset feature then most likely all the Coleco Supergames also offered it. That Coleco 989 factory reset for the Hall of Fame screen is a lot easier than the method I was doing to clear the Hall of Fame screen. Thats what I get for not reading some instruction manauls for 30 years.

If someone were to enter a profane word in the Hall of Fame screen, then that would be another reason why one might want to use the 989 code to return the Hall of Fame screen to factory defaults.

So hopefully new games that use the Super Game cartridge will also use the exact same 989 code that Coleco used if the programmer decides to make Hall of Fame screens and game save features.

Edited by HDTV1080P

If Nintendo games continues to have 3 save slots that you can delete and copy to another save. Also button combination to clear all data for Game and Watch Gallery. Picking the ability to reset WarioWare Inc DIY completely to as it was new cartridge, but you had to beat a nose picking mini game first in order to do that. Then I don't see how Super Cart won't allow you to delete your saves. I think Super Cart can be use for new games that can be build from the ground up to use the save features. I'll probably borrow that mini game idea from Wario Ware DIY and have a merciless boss that defends that delete function with his life. :grin: